Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planting bulbs under young trees

Options
  • 26-11-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I want to plant some bulbs under trees that are probably about 5 years old. Will cutting through the odd tree root do any harm to the tree? I'll only be going down about 5 inches. Would the important roots be down a lot deeper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

It depends somewhat on the variety of tree with some known for having roots close to the surface.

People recommend root pruning the year before transplanting trees so there is a natural recovery process to any root damage that is done. If the trees are in a wind exposed site damaging the surface roots might make the tree more prone to wind damage, but if your careful not to disturb them too much I would guess there shouldn't be a problem. I have hit roots by accident before when digging and simply buried them again without the plants showing much sign of damage afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Plant the bulbs using a tool other than a spade. A spade will pretty-much cut through whatever is beneath it but if you use, say, an old timber brush handle to make the hole, you're less likely to damage any roots. Any type of metal bar will do and wiggle it around to open up the hole to the size of the bulb. Use a bit of compost, mud or even sand to backfill the hole once the bulb is in.

Also, a trees roots extend roughly as far as the branches; the main root is growing downwards, so you shouldn't hit that. If you are going planting close to the trunk, a hoe might be better suited to gently lifting away the soil. This'd be a lot easier if the soil were drier than it is now but, this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Also, a trees roots extend roughly as far as the branches; the main root is growing downwards, so you shouldn't hit that.

Tree roots can go someway beyond the drip line of the tree, and much of the tree's feeding roots system can be in the top 5mm of the soil. This is just an pictorical example:

tree_canopy.gif

The further away you plant the bulbs from the stem the better for the tree.

This informative article may help you
    http://www.isa-arbor.com/education/resources/educ_Portal_RootGrowth_AN.pdf

Very few trees have a tap roots these days, unless planted as seed, as they have been undercut in the nursery.

Advertisement