Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big-ass light

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Or just turn your bike to face a wall with the light on
    I don't have a very bright front light (Cateye HL EL 510/520), as it's just for urban/dark park use, but I've always made sure the main spot hits the ground about two car lengths ahead of me. Seems to work ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    Or just turn your bike to face a wall with the light on
    In my experience that's not a reliable test because it doesn't account for the vertical spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

This has been said before, and it seems to be constantly forgotten, but

Legal roads lights have at least 2 settings. One often called dipped, lights up your side if the road, and when set correctly, will not be a hazard to on coming traffic. The other setting, can shine anywhere forward and be as bright as you can afford.

I bought a feck off light on eBay, that can light up the down stairs of my house, almost like day time. There was no lense on the front. When I used it on the road, it blinded every other road user. In the city centre it light Pearse St up like Christmas time. Before I got to Tara St, 2 Garda cars had pulled up and asked where I got the light, as they wanted one. At Tara St the lights were red and a person crossing the road complained that they couldn't see the kerb, cause the light was so bright. That night,I bought a lens on eBay, for the Cree lamp I had.

It's perfect, just like a dipped beam on a car. I didn't really appciate, that I was being a complete muppet before.

You can't use a spotlight type beam on the road, your just being muppets. Road legal bicycle lights have a lens or the beam is focused.

Off road is an entirely different matter, but if your cycling on the road, get the right lights and adjust them correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm looking for a light for night cycling in unlit country roads.
    Went through this thread and the Cateye Volt 800 looks good.

A friend recommended this light below to me and was wondering if anyone has experience of something like this, I think they are probably what you guys are referring to as generic ebay lights?

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-black-1200-lumen-bike-light-kit.html

The appeal is that the external battery lasts over 8 hours (or so I've been told?) and that you can carry a replacement battery.

Would this fall under the "stupidly bright" category some of you have mentioned?
    It comes with a Diffuser Lens if that makes a difference?

From reading other forums this candb-seen.co.uk repackages chinese lights with UK plugs and offers replacement/support etc.

Thanks!

Advertisement