Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick christmas lights,,,do you like them or not

• 26-11-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do others find the new lights bland,, no colours just white everywhere, the old ones were much nicer, where is the big merry Christmas from limerick gone or the big Santa and sleigh that crossed the junction of O'Connell st and William st.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

daveob007 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do others find the new lights bland,, no colours just white everywhere, the old ones were much nicer, where is the big merry Christmas from limerick gone or the big Santa and sleigh that crossed the junction of O'Connell st and William st.

Totally agree. Took my son to see them last week. Very meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

daveob007 wrote:

They are really poor IMO. Some of them are nor even working and some of the streets just look grim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I've always loved the ones at the corner of Denmark st and O'Connell St. Other than that, meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I've always loved the ones at the corner of Denmark st and O'Connell St. Other than that, meh.

Or the overhead ones that go all the way up Michael St are lovely.

Don't know what they were thinking this year. Those blue white lights just look cold and not at all festive as there just aren't enough of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The lights have really got the city talking this year. Personally, I think they're too sparse for a city of this size. The half Christmas trees on Bedford Row are gone too; replaced with lights wrapped around the poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Brown Thomas and Irwin jewellers look brilliant, much better than the street ones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

When you see them in day light they're basically just the icicle lights people hang from the front of their house. They look what the are, cheap. They old lights were far nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

When you see them in day light they're basically just the icicle lights people hang from the front of their house. They look what the are, cheap. They old lights were far nicer.

I wonder what they do with the old ones? Could they have kept using them and out these new ones on streets that don't have lights such as Henry Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

They look what the are, cheap.

Absolutely. They look really poor, as if there was no effort at all made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

They're pretty bad alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Must say Denmark street looks nice, have only caught a glimpse of them as passing but they looked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

They look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya very poor lights. Most don't seem to go from one side of the street to the other but are more in the centre above the road. They look a bit lost. The old lights were far superior and really filled the whole of O'Connell street with colour. Only for Brown Thomas and Keanes town wouldn't look festive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

The lights on O'Connell St. would be fine on a street like Catherine St. or Roches St. - they don't work where they are.

I think (and am open to correction) that the traders on Denmark St/Robert St. purchased the lights that are erected on those streets themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

William St looks much better than it did, as it was terribly sparse last year. The icicle lights might just be the type anyone can have on their house but they are better than the nothing that was going across the street last year. O'Connell St, on the other hand, looks horribly bare and not at all festive. Losing the half trees on Bedford Row-Thomas St was a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

The centre does look pretty grim at the moment. I heard that the lights had gone up but the place doesn't look all that different than usual. Also, what's up with the scumbags hanging out around McDonalds and the start of Cruises street? I was in Costa Coffee the other night and the manager had to lock the doors to keep them out. Doesn't do much for the festive cheer of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

That corner is a blight. McDonalds is like a magnet for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Or the overhead ones that go all the way up Michael St are lovely.

Don't know what they were thinking this year. Those blue white lights just look cold and not at all festive as there just aren't enough of them.

That's the street I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name. I've always liked them lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I agree, if it wasn't for the beautiful lights on Brown Thomas and Keanes Jewellers you wouldn't notice it was Christmas at all. Very bad job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Love to see BTs going back to the fabulous windows they used to do years ago, etc. it would draw in the crowds just to see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement