Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queries about leaving a houseshare

Options
  • 26-11-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

Planning on moving out of my place before the New Year and just want to make sure I've all my bases covered.

I'm sharing a place and do not have a lease. Here since 1/1/15.

I plan to give 35 days notice - will that ensure my deposit back? (Assuming no issues found with the house etc.)

I was going to tell the LL that I hope to get someone else in my place - Is there any obligation on me to do this?

I was going to suggest that if he wanted to hang on to the deposit in lieu of next month's rent that he could do so - is this a bad idea?

Any other advice welcome. Complete newb at this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

If you don't have a lease you're not obliged to find someone to replace so don't draw that hassle on yourself.

LL may want you to pay last month's rent and return your deposit once you leave and he gets the keys back.

Make sure you sort out all of your share of bills bearing in mind that some bills may not be received til after you leave!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi,

Planning on moving out of my place before the New Year and just want to make sure I've all my bases covered.

I'm sharing a place and do not have a lease. Here since 1/1/15.

I plan to give 35 days notice - will that ensure my deposit back? (Assuming no issues found with the house etc.)

I was going to tell the LL that I hope to get someone else in my place - Is there any obligation on me to do this?

I was going to suggest that if he wanted to hang on to the deposit in lieu of next month's rent that he could do so - is this a bad idea?

Any other advice welcome. Complete newb at this!

Do you live with the landlord?

In general a landlord will not agree to retaining the deposit in lieu of the final month's rent. They would be foolish to do so and legally the tenant is liable for rent to the end of their tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

athtrasna wrote: »
    Do you live with the landlord?

In general a landlord will not agree to retaining the deposit in lieu of the final month's rent. They would be foolish to do so and legally the tenant is liable for rent to the end of their tenure.

No, I share with two other renters. Thanks for the advice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The usual procedure is you pay all your rent and the deposit is returned after you move out and the LL has inspected the place. Although I have seen this done in the past.
    You are not obliged to find a replacement although if you know someone interested you can always suggest it to the landlord.

Just have a chat with your LL. There are rules in place to protect people but you'll find you and the LL can probably easily agree on whatever way to do this without worrying about that. It sounds like a straight forward moving out.

The houseshares I've lived in have always operated by the person moving out giving a months notice and finding the person to replace them. They either get their deposit of the person moving in then or sonemetimes the LL has refunded it and the new person pays the deposit.

I've never seen the LL get involved in getting tenants in any of the houseshares it's left up to the person moving out or the others in the house.

Personally I'd feel obliged to find a replacement if I were moving out of my current place as if I didn't the other housemates would have to as the LL doesn't want to be involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Chat with the two other renters. They may prefer to choose someone themselves, rather than putting up with who you choose.

Advertisement