Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi (or any other good brand) Dehumidifiers?

Options
  • 26-11-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Kind of a weird request, but according to my hygrometer it's currently raining inside my house. I would have hoped to find some deals on good dehumidifiers (~10 liters a day) but I can't find any.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BP81DW

This one is the only one I found, only 24% discount but oh well... but is there anything actually in Ireland that I can maybe buy and pick up this Friday or weekend? Like in Argos or similar?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

10 litres a day sounds like you are looking for a compressor unit.

What temperature will the dehumidifier be operating in for most of the time?

Just asking as I prefer desiccant models which are more efficient at temperatures of less than 20C.

Edit: I'm pretty knowlegable about where to find dehumidifier deals. Once I know what you are looking for I would be happy to look for the best deal for you.

I'm not an expert on dehumidifiers, I just needed something better than my current one (250ml a day).

My house is getting very humid, almost 70% and the temperature goes between 16 degrees and 19. I needed to make it way dryer for me (I'm used to live at something around 25% humidity) and for the house itself since I don't want mould to grow on walls and windows wooden frames :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭GuitarMusic

I'm not an expert on dehumidifiers, I just needed something better than my current one (250ml a day).

My house is getting very humid, almost 70% and the temperature goes between 16 degrees to 19. I needed to make it way dryer for me (I'm used to live at something around 25% humidity) and for the house itself since I don't want mold to grow on walls and windows wooden frames :D

Ah, thanks Jack. Now we've got something to work with.

70% humidity is fairly high alright and I can see how the 250ml unit is too small.

Since the temperature will mainly be below 20C I'd recommend a desiccant dehumidifier. There are many advantages of desiccants over compressor models not limited to but including:

Being Quieter
    Being Lighter
    Can operate at lower temperatures (compressors are terrible at 10C or less= think night time operaton)
    CFC Free so environmentally friendly
    More effective at temps below 20C

Perhaps you mean that you were used to living in 45% humidity. 25% would be unbearably dry. A good household range would be around 45%-55%.

Mould generally grows at over 60% RH so once you bring back the RH to the limits above your house will be fine.

May I just ask how many bedrooms your house has, what's the approx sq footage, does anyone sufffer from airborne allergies in your house and are there babies/toddlers in the house? Also how many people live in the house?

Sorry for all the questions but I am aiming to get the best dehumidifier for you. :)

That's good to know thanks a lot for taking the time to help me!

It's a fairly small apartment with one bedroom, living room \w kitchen, bathroom and a small hallway. I was measuring it while looking for some info about dehumidifiers and it came out something a little less than 50 square metres? 540 sq ft? I can't remember honestly sorry. I'm just by myself in it and I think it could accommodate two adults but nothing more.

Usually in winter the RH back at my parents place (Italy) is around 25% because of a heavy use of radiators. They got those little containers on them for water, but no real humidifier, so that's why the low humidity. I can't say I was comfortable there, so yeah maybe if I can bring it down at least to 45% it should be fine :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement