Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai post the Celtic Tiger

• 26-11-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Can those that became Gardai Over the past two years please PM or post hear in relation to the levels of pay and benefits etc, need to know this to consider a few options at this moment in time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

mycro89 wrote: »
    Can those that became Gardai Over the past two years please PM or post hear in relation to the levels of pay and benefits etc, need to know this to consider a few options at this moment in time

Well knock me over with a feather.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Just google Garda pay scales 2016 and go onto the GRA website.
    It shows the pay for trainees as well as attested members.
    184e a week for training and around 23,000 upon appointment as a member
    rising to 43,000 over 19 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

qmx8b8.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just google Garda pay scales 2016 and go onto the GRA website.
    It shows the pay for trainees as well as attested members.
    184e a week for training and around 23,000 upon appointment as a member
    rising to 43,000 over 19 years

Is it really that low? I assume thats the basic pay? How much would the different allowances be worth?

I've a lot of respect for the Gardai which is very often a thankless job but I'd question why you would put yourself through it for that level of pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Have to say, I'm surprised at the level of pay too.

I understand there's overtime, but... that requires overtime.

There is the possibility of promotion, but I thought I saw something recently that said most Gardai don't progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Unfortunately thats what the pay is at the moment. That doesnt include night time pay or public holidays etc. But if the boom thought people anything it should be that they shouldnt rely on overtime to pay their bills. If your looking to join AGS then dont do it for the money. You'll never be rich but you'll never be poor either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

New recruits pay increments have been frozen until 2018, so take that into consideration, you'll be on 23k a year for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

23,171 before PAYE, PRSI, USC, Pension Contribution as well as your Medical Aid (if you subscribe) GRA Sub (if you subscribe), District Social Fund (if you subscribe) and Benevolent Fund (if you subscribe). but they are the general deductions for a new joiner

your allowances do not include Rent allowance. you may add about 5k a year in allowances (according to the Minister for Justice on Dail record)

realistically speaking, you will get 330 a week with an extra 200 a month in allowances - roughly 1500 a month into your pocket

with the FEMPI legislation being enacted and with the GRA rejecting Lansdowne agreement, all increments are being frozen for Gardaí. You may be stuck in 23,171euro for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

allowances roughly 25% on top of gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

EveAlex wrote: »
    your allowances do not include Rent allowance. you may add about 5k a year in allowances (according to the Minister for Justice on Dail record

I was under the impression that new recruits didn't get this going forward. That's not so bad 5k that's about 5 months rents in a 1k apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

TallGlass wrote: »
    I was under the impression that new recruits didn't get this going forward. That's not so bad 5k that's about 5 months rents in a 1k apartment.

Rent allowance IS gone for new recruits

ollieo wrote: »
    Rent allowance IS gone for new recruits

That's silly levels of pay in that case.

However, there was a huge application for the recent recruitment round.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This is not a knock at AGS, but the truth is that Garda pay is just abysmal.

€184 for 32 weeks works out at €5,888.

The equivalent pay across the border is €525.10 (£372.75*) per week, plus the Northern Ireland Transitional Allowance of €84.84 (£60.23*) for 16 weeks (working out at €9,759.04), which then rises to €614.05 (£435.92*) for the next 2 years.

That means in the same 32 weeks, one would have earned €20,941.28 (€9,759.04 + 16 weeks @ €614.05/week + NITS @ €84.84/week = €11,182.24) at a bare minimum in the PSNI.

*Exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.40850 EUR used as per today's xe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

How are the groups surviving on that? I would imagine q load of new guards have left ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

At a guess, they have to take out loans from the Credit Union. They could have at least given them the €188 that you'd get on JSA.
    mycro89 wrote: »
    How are the groups surviving on that? I would imagine q load of new guards have left ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭pah

food and lodgings provided in Templemore mon-fri but yeah it's poor

Shield wrote: »

I'm okay with a low rate during training.

However, I don't like that their qualified pay does not reflect the important job they do.

Have a good bit of sympathy for them. Will still kill me when if I get caught speeding by a Garda on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭weadick

Shield wrote: »

The equivalent pay across the border is €525.10 (£372.75*) per week, plus the Northern Ireland Transitional Allowance of €84.84 (£60.23*) for 16 weeks (working out at €9,759.04), which then rises to €614.05 (£435.92*) for the next 2 years.

That means in the same 32 weeks, one would have earned €20,941.28 (€9,759.04 + 16 weeks @ €614.05/week + NITS @ €84.84/week = €11,182.24) at a bare minimum in the PSNI.

*Exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.40850 EUR used as per today's xe.com

Christ.

I have wanted to join AGS for as long as I can remember. But I really don't think I could survive on that money, with a mortgage to pay, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wispa4

weadick wrote: »
    Christ.

I have wanted to join AGS for as long as I can remember. But I really don't think I could survive on that money, with a mortgage to pay, etc.

Im the same was accepted in 08(recruitment embargo) have an interview this week.but dont think i could justify finacially leaving my current job with a mortgage and kids now. I want to do the job but i couldnt survive with the money and would be getting into debt if i took the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I fear for the safety of the public which will be the end result of these short sighted pay cuts. I am simply baffled as to how so many highly qualified people have already joined and are trying to get in. But I have my doubts as to how long they will stay in AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

I fear for the safety of the public which will be the end result of these short sighted pay cuts. I am simply baffled as to how so many highly qualified people have already joined and are trying to get in. But I have my doubts as to how long they will stay in AGS.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here with that comment. I do worry that if people who are highly qualified will get dis-heartened when they realize how promotion works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RumHam

rocky911 wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail on the head here with that comment. I do worry that if people who are highly qualified will get dis-heartened when they realize how promotion works.

The promotion thing is definitely an issue. Any idea how difficult it is to move upwards in AGS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

RumHam wrote: »
    The promotion thing is definitely an issue. Any idea how difficult it is to move upwards in AGS?

Depends...on how much pull you have,

Advertisement