Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connect to the lan but not the internet.

Options
  • 26-11-2015 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

i have 3 pc's on a lan. I want to add a fourth which i want to be able to connect to the lan but not the internet. How will i do this

I wan to move files between fourth pc and lan. could i have internal vpn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Give the fourth PC a static IP address on your LAN with no default gateway. Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭perry123

Give the fourth PC a static IP address on your LAN with no default gateway. Done.
    will i be able to communicate with the lan with PC a static IP address on the fourth? How do i make no default gateway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

perry123 wrote: »
    will i be able to communicate with the lan with PC a static IP address on the fourth? How do i make no default gateway?

So long as the static IP address you assign to the 4th PC isn't already used but in the same network subnet then you should have no problems.

For example: If the other PCs have addresses like :

192.168.1.xxx

Then assign your 4th PC with an address like 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is any number between 1 and 254 but not already used by any other device. Try a random number like 139 for example.

tumblr_me3du9KDaz1rtwokd.png

The above is where the IP address, DNS and Gateway are entered. In your case do not enter anything in the Default Gateway section.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    So long as the static IP address you assign to the 4th PC isn't already used but in the same network subnet then you should have no problems.

192.168.1.xxx

Then assign your 4th PC with an address like 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is any number between 1 and 254 but not already used by any other device. Try a random number like 139 for example.

The above is where the IP address, DNS and Gateway are entered. In your case do not enter anything in the Default Gateway section.

Ken
    Thanks. if any malware got to the lan could it spread to the fourth? Culd i havvejust one folder of the fourth shared with the lan? The fourth is an old one and will only be used for light. i do not want to bother with any security on it hence do not want it on internet.

had to remove your image as i cannot do urls

Once you connect a computer to a LAN there is always the chance of some infection spreading to it. Some Malware can spread by detecting other computers and spreading to them but usually it takes some action on the users side to install the malware or virus.

If you're that worried perhaps installing a light Linux Distro on the 4th PC and sharing out a folder to the rest of the LAN is the way to go ? Mint is a nice easy to live with OS.

Another option is to install Windows PE to it and create a share using the command line, this greatly reduces the attack area of the system.

Ken

• Advertisement

192.168.1.xxx

tumblr_me3du9KDaz1rtwokd.png

Ken
    should default gateway be 192.168.1 254?. If there is a default gateway the static ip pc should be able to connect to net?

The address of the Default Gateway will be the IP of your router - theoretically it can be any address in the subnet but typically it's set to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 depending on your providers default settings. Most Eircom routers I've seen are 192.168.1.254.

On a DHCP enabled computer you can find the Gateway address by typing ipconfig at a command prompt. By not entering any value or by entering 0.0.0.0 you're giving the computer no path out of the subnet hence it can't get to the internet.

Ken

The address of the Default Gateway will be the IP of your router - theoretically it can be any address in the subnet but typically it's set to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 depending on your providers default settings. Most Eircom routers I've seen are 192.168.1.254.

On a DHCP enabled computer you can find the Gateway address by typing ipconfig at a command prompt. By not entering any value or by entering 0.0.0.0 you're giving the computer no path out of the subnet hence it can't get to the internet.

Ken
    Thanks I was trying with an old xp. I gave it a static ip and default gateway but it would not connect to net?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

perry123 wrote: »
    Thanks I was trying with an old xp. I gave it a static ip and default gateway but it would not connect to net?

What about DNS? If you're so concerned about security then why are you using XP? It's no longer supported.

davo2001 wrote: »
    What about DNS? If you're so concerned about security then why are you using XP? It's no longer supported.
    it does not need tobe as it won't be on net. i was only practising with the settings

• Advertisement
Advertisement