Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Question

Options
  • 26-11-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just a quick question. I am being made redundant at work, which is grand. It is a big global companyand this happens fairly regularly. I have a HR meeting shortly where I will get the official formal notice and details of pay, etc., conditions. I assume this is standard stuff for the company standard terms that they usually offer, etc., but my question is, is there anything in particular that I should be asking?
    I don't want to miss something purely because I didn't know the right questions to ask.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

- What support will they offer you to find another job? Outplacement, Re-training etc

- Can you keep any healthcare benefits (or similar) for 3/6 months?

- Make sure the redundancy letter states why you're being let go - market conditions etc - you may need this in the futere for a prospective employer.

BOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ask about a reference too, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Having been let go a few years ago.

Ask for Pension detail and who to contact about it after you have left.

Review how much you will get and compare on welfare site how it effects your payments.

If you have a mortgage you can pay some money off and get dole right away if you wanted.

Sorry to hear your losing job but you sound confident you will get a new one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

And get some tax advice on how the redundancy payment is treated. There are some favourable tax treatments for redundancy payments, but it is a while since I used them so I am not up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Diziet wrote: »
    And get some tax advice on how the redundancy payment is treated. There are some favourable tax treatments for redundancy payments, but it is a while since I used them so I am not up to date.

Not so good as before, current goverent removed some. First €10k still tax free as far as I know

• Advertisement
Advertisement