Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation and Marriage

Options
  • 26-11-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Hoping someone could give me some info. Very late off the mark here, but find taxation so mind boggling that I've kept putting it off. Anyway, I got married in July 2014. I know I need to submit a copy of my marriage certificate to local revenue office and that I can request a year of marriage review. My spouse was unemployed between October 2014 and July 2015 and received Jobseeker's Benefit during this period. My questions:
    A) Is there such a thing as a married tax credit?
    B) As I earned more than my husband during the year should I somehow look into transferring his tax credits to me for the year?
    C) Without knowing our salaries, do you think we would be owed money given that he was unemployed for so long?
    D) Any other helpful info?

Thanks in advance for replies

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

123123123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Hoping someone could give me some info. Very late off the mark here, but find taxation so mind boggling that I've kept putting it off. Anyway, I got married in July 2014. I know I need to submit a copy of my marriage certificate to local revenue office and that I can request a year of marriage review. My spouse was unemployed between October 2014 and July 2015 and received Jobseeker's Benefit during this period. My questions:
    A) Is there such a thing as a married tax credit?
    B) As I earned more than my husband during the year should I somehow look into transferring his tax credits to me for the year?
    C) Without knowing our salaries, do you think we would be owed money given that he was unemployed for so long?
    D) Any other helpful info?

Thanks in advance for replies

1. NO there is no such thing as a married tax credit, but how you are treated tax wise is different when you marry, you can share your credits to an extent. This explains it fairly clearly.
    2. Follow the advice in the link I gave you and get registered for joint assessment, then request a balancing statement for the year, JSB is subject to tax so you may not get a massive refund, but it will be something.
    3. As for 2.

Advertisement