Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron M5010 7 beeps

Options
  • 27-11-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

So my laptop has the dreaded 7 consistent beeps and a black/blank screen on startup. So I'm thinking it is the motherboard or CPU issue. I seen a temporary fix online to wrap the laptop in a duvet and let it run, basically overheat it, let it cool and boot up. Surprisingly this worked for a day or two but then back to square one.
    So I'm wondering does this narrow down what and where the issue is exactly? It suggests that the motherboard/CPU isn't completely lifeless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, although it was the dedicated GPU. 90 secs with a heat gun and its back in action. If it is the mobo then my solution won't work as I only had to concentrate on a specific area of the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

mordeith wrote: »
    I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, although it was the dedicated GPU. 90 secs with a heat gun and its back in action. If it is the mobo then my solution won't work as I only had to concentrate on a specific area of the mobo.

Thanks, I guess I am trying to narrow down the specific hardware element that is causing the problem, considering the overheating seems to resolve the problem temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kodistar

Hi there,

Sound like gpu temp fix is to get heat gun r hairdryer and run it over it r pop it in oven its a temp fix and will last six months until u have to do it again best bet get a new laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

kodistar wrote: »
    Hi there,

Sound like gpu temp fix is to get heat gun r hairdryer and run it over it r pop it in oven its a temp fix and will last six months until u have to do it again best bet get a new laptop.

Thanks, this seems to be a very common problem for this model(m5010), looks like the GPU/Motherboard needs replacing:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19563484

Advertisement