Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas in Chicago - suggestions?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi, thinking of spending a few days in Chicago including Christmas Day. Any suggestions for Christmas dinner? Would prefer something traditional for the day that's in it, also don't mind splashing out. I see a lot of places have seafood/beef etc but would love turkey :p Also any other events or activities going on I should try to get to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The Yanks don't do the traditional turkey dinner on Xmas Day, the way that we do here. Thanksgiving is their big turkey day, so by the time Xmas rolls around, they usually do something else, such as a honey baked ham and/or a special joint of meat.

That's not to say that in a city as big & varied as Chicago, you won't find a specialty restaurant that serves turkey all year around, or one that caters to home sick Irish & UK expats. But the average restaurant won't, so you probably won't be spoiled for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Thanks for that, just don't fancy the seafood buffets!! It's our first Christmas in a few years not going home so would have liked the traditional dinner but sure we'll try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

most Americans aren't even aware that turkey at Christmas is so popular elsewhere in the world. Traditional Italian or polish foods are popular depending on the family background, no harm in trying something new as you say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If you want it, there will be irish bars open though probably not many that will likely put it on.

A girl in work was n NYC last year and the Fitzpatrick chain of hotels put on a proper dinner but theres none of them in Chicago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You can get turkey if you ask in advance, but in general most restaurants will serve the following

Goose
    Ham
    Pork
    Beef tenderloin

People are still "turkey'd" out by the time christmas rolls around. Can't stand turkey myself - we go out every year for christmas lunch and I always end up with tenderloin

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! Have tried Fitzpatricks in Manhattan for Christmas dinner before and to be honest wouldn't go there again. Will try get everyone on board for something different maybe, seems to be the best idea. Going to go for one of the buffets in the hotels, everyone will find something they like I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd say Fado pub on Grand Ave in the centre might be a decent shout. They do some traditional Irish dinners all year around. No idea if they will for Christmas, but could be a decent call.

Thanks SantryRed!

Advertisement