Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to SSD

Options
  • 27-11-2015 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭

I have a dell Inspiron that was bought in 09. It still works as I want but it's got a bit slow and I'm thinking of putting in an SSD.

It was originally Windows 7 and now has Windows 10 so what's the easiest way to do this? Would I have to install Windows 7 and then update to Windows 10 or is there a key I can find to go straight to 10? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

240 gb ssd on Amazon today for £40 today only here

The easiest way is to do a full backup to an external drive then restore it once the ssd drive is fitted. Instructions here.

You'll need windows install media to restore. You can make a bootable usb stick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Or you can get an ssd with the extras required for cloning so you can essentially make it an external drive and clone your hdd onto it and then swap them out. This won't require any reinstallation you just have to make sure the stuff you are cloning from hdd doesn't exceed the capacity of the ssd so you may need to move videos, photos etc... off before cloning.

Something like this with the bundle option:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-120GB-Solid-2-5-inch/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448617246&sr=8-3&keywords=ssd

However this one has had reports of not being as fast as advertised due to a change in version. Just an example of the kit.

Advertisement