Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

• 27-11-2015 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Something that's been on my mind while deciding whether to return home is the cost of car insurance.

It would be great if people could share their experiences of getting car insurance after returning to Ireland - especially if they have little or no history of driving in Ireland.

I learned to drive outside Ireland, and hold an EU licence (Romania). My wife is in the same position. I've read mixed reports about transferring a no claims bonus to Ireland, so I'm not so optimistic about that. I'm going on the assumption that we'll be starting from zero.

One thing that may help is that my father has put me on the policy for his car, so that I can drive it the odd time that I visit. Maybe this will help in my case, but not in my wife's.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Being added as a named driver is no problem, although the value for money appear to be very variable. When I return to Ireland on request (mainly to look after my sister's children) I borrow either my mother's or my sister's car. My sister adds me for just the time I'm there (a couple of weeks max), my mother puts me on for a year for little/no more than it'd cost for a few weeks. OTOH, my driving buddy says it didn't cost anything to add me to his car indefinitely ... All done on the basis of scanned copies of passport and EU driving license.

If you can start like that, I imagine you'd have good enough "history" before you got around to buying a car for yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Does being a named driver help? I might do that for my mam's car if so.

I'm worried about having to sit the driving test but that's another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Does being a named driver help? I might do that for my mam's car if so.

I'm worried about having to sit the driving test but that's another thread.

I think it does. I was a name driver when I was young since I didn't have a car myself. I'm pretty sure it helped. I'm a name driver on my dad's car right now in Ireland. I'm hopeful when the day comes for me to move back that I have that as history on top of my previous history. Then I can put my partner as a name driver under me after she gets a license

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

I called my old insurance company (123) and was told that they only insure drivers who have had their own policy or been a named driver in the previous year.

My plan is to get my mother to add me to her insurance ASAP. Luckily, we are moving back to our apartment which is in the village so I have the option to not drive for a while, as we move in July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi, Nicola here from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

I just came across this thread, with Bank of Ireland car insurance your no claims bonus would be accepted once it was within Ireland or UK.

It’s possible to get a quote taking into account any named driving experience once you can provide evidence of this and it’s been within the last two years (within Ireland).

If you've any other questions feel free to get in touch or drop by our talk to forum.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi, Nicola here from the Bank of Ireland Talk to forum.

I just came across this thread, with Bank of Ireland car insurance your no claims bonus would be accepted once it was within Ireland or UK.

It’s possible to get a quote taking into account any named driving experience once you can provide evidence of this and it’s been within the last two years (within Ireland).

If you've any other questions feel free to get in touch or drop by our talk to forum.

Thanks
    Nicola

hi nicola. i drive a company car here in the uk. Does that make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi theemigrant, I've checked this for you with our Insurance team and at the moment we don't cover company cars or commercial vehicles.

If you have any other questions please drop by our Talk To Forum.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yeah, we have USA no claims proof, but will have to find a company that accepts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'm just resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any more current information on this subject. Have any insurance companies decided to accept foreign no claims bonus?

Liberty insurance accepted my ex's no claims. They did not accept mine as I was a named driver, and apparently the ex was 'main' driver. Watch out for that loophole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement