Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Times report - RTE considering sublicencing sports rights

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No one would have bid if such a stipulation was put on it, and the aim of RTE sublicensing was to earn more money for RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    No one would have bid if such a stipulation was put on it, and the aim of RTE sublicensing was to earn more money for RTE.

So this goes back to what are RTÉ going to do with this windfall, will it be invest back into RTÉ2 for programme making will RTÉ2 see an increase in audience share?

I think both RTÉ2 & TV3 will be lucky to get a 10% share of the audience during the 2 or so months that the Euros are on, basing it on the audience shares of both during the RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The aim of sublicensing wasn't to make money alone. RTE have a deficit for sure. They also have shed a load of staff in recent years, yet they have a lot of sporting events that coincide in 2016. For sure it would have cost a lot to staff and broadcast these events, but they don't have the staff resources to cover it all

On top of the election and 1916 coverage this year, they still have sporting rights for GAA Hurling and Football Leagues & Championships, the Allianz League highlights, Champions League, UEFA EURO 2016 Finals, RBS 6 Nations 2016, considerable Horse Racing commitments both in UK & Ireland, full coverage of the Olympics in RIO 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

The Cush wrote: »

Thanks for that.
    Can anyone tell me the difference between a clean, semi-dirty and dirty feed?
    Assume it's in relation to Graphics (ie BBC always have a clean feed), but just interested in the details.

STB. wrote: »
    On top of the election and 1916 coverage this year, they still have sporting rights for GAA Hurling and Football Leagues & Championships, the Allianz League highlights, Champions League, UEFA EURO 2016 Finals, RBS 6 Nations 2016, considerable Horse Racing commitments both in UK & Ireland, full coverage of the Olympics in RIO 2016.

And lets not forget "Big Week on the Farm" which started earlier this evening :D

Thanks for that.
    Assume it's in relation to Graphics (ie BBC always have a clean feed), but just interested in the details.

Clean feed normally means no graphics. The BBC normally like to use this, but aren't always given the choice (Formula One requires all broadcasters to take the World Feed and the BBC had to comply Or Else).

"Semi clean" (I had never heard it described as "semi dirty" before, but I presume it amounts to the same) will take some but not all of the graphical elements.

The dirty feed is the World Feed usually and will have all graphical elements (and usually commentary in English for those that want it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ would reduce carriage costs on saorview. No HD no Deal.

Surely TV3 HD on Saorview would threaten RTE viewer figures. OK RTE's own broadcast fees (to themselves in effect) would reduce, but would that not be offset by loss of viewers maybe. So does RTE not have a vested interest in TV3 remaining SD on Saorview?

Maybe its only me who avoids TV3 primarily because of its awful SD broadcast. Often Occasionally I see on the EPG a show that sounds interesting, but I just can't bring myself to watch the terrible quality. Or is that just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not just you and I still don't see why anyone thinks RTE should ensure a competitor improves their service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Thanks for that.

Clean; No Graphics/audio feed with stadium/crowd noise.

Dirty; On Screen graphics such as clock/DOG and a mixed audio of commentary and crowd.

RTE for example
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96462186&postcount=31

Dodge wrote: »
    Not just you and I still don't see why anyone thinks RTE should ensure a competitor improves their service?

because it would have the knock on effect of reducing costs for RTE. It would allow TG4 and UTV to go HD at a lower rate, reduce the costs for OTV and 3e and possibly Irish TV.

ultimately it might help Irish TV channels improve their audience share. Though HD wont do that alone. it might provide viewers/consumers with more choice

but hey if both TV3 and RTE want to cut their noses of despite their faces let them.

because it would have the knock on effect of reducing costs for RTE. It would allow TG4 and UTV to go HD at a lower rate, reduce the costs for OTV and 3e and possibly Irish TV.

ultimately it might help Irish TV channels improve their audience share. Though HD wont do that alone. it might provide viewers/consumers with more choice

but hey if both TV3 and RTE want to cut their noses of despite their faces let them.

RTE not allowing TV3 to sublicence the EUROs without HD would not have any of that effect. Come on now

RTE not allowing TV3 to sublicence the EUROs without HD would not have any of that effect. Come on now

It would insure that TV3 HD would go HD and then the knock on effect of reducing the cost of carriage for other channels. perhaps the likelyhood of TG4 going HD on Saorview. reducing the cost for OTV which is what the TDs have wanted for so long.

Clearly TV3 HD would have to become apart of Saorview for a number of years after the Euros. BTW TV3 have said that they would need to have an SD version of TV3 on Saorview and that consumers would need new equipment!

It would insure that TV3 HD would go HD

Or TV3 says no deal and RTE can't off load some of the costs. RTE were in no real position to push that.

Or TV3 says no deal and RTE can't off load some of the costs. RTE were in no real position to push that.

TV3 are desperate to increase their audience share they only have about 7% of the market. Euros gives them a major boost. Imagine it was very late in the day when RTE proposed this idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

It would insure that TV3 HD would go HD and then the knock on effect of reducing the cost of carriage for other channels. perhaps the likelyhood of TG4 going HD on Saorview. reducing the cost for OTV which is what the TDs have wanted for so long.

Clearly TV3 HD would have to become apart of Saorview for a number of years after the Euros. BTW TV3 have said that they would need to have an SD version of TV3 on Saorview and that consumers would need new equipment!

Do you have a source for that?

Do you have a source for that?

Today FM the last word just before the start of the RWC 2016.

Look, the TV3 on Saorview debate is something that comes up over and over again, it's not really on topic for this thread or really this forum at all, and tends to go round and round in circles anyway. Maybe the next post might talk about RTE sublicensing sports rights

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

I feel for anyone who thinks RTE is ****e. You should spend a day watching TVNZ to see just how truly awful a nation of 4.5m can make their national broadcaster.

RTE kicks the pants off most national broadcasters, seriously you have no idea how good you've got it.

We'll try that again...

• Advertisement

We'll try that again...

I think we were more on topic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Wonder what the process is regarding the round of 16 and quarter finals. Is it a case of RTE having first pick, TV3 second pick etc..

iseegirls wrote: »
    Wonder what the process is regarding the round of 16 and quarter finals. Is it a case of RTE having first pick, TV3 second pick etc..

I think that is the case. RTE will decide what they want and TV3 will get the rest.

iseegirls wrote: »

This is what RTÉ has said, but we don't know if they have the first 5 choices in the round of 16 and first 2 choices in the QFs or alternate picks, RTÉ, TV3, RTÉ etc.
    RTÉ will retain first choice on matches in the knockout stages and will broadcast a highlights programme on each night of the tournament.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0303/772349-rte-agrees-euro-2016-sub-licence-with-tv3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

This thread isn't the place for that debate

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not a place but just a correction. NZ On Air/Public Broadcasting is funded via direct taxation in NZ.

Look, if people want to talk about the rights and wrongs of the licence fee and alternative methods of funding RTE, be my guest. It'd be an interesting thread. Just don't use a thread about sports rights to do it

Advertisement