Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grill coming on in top oven, is this normal?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Had a new cooker/oven delivered by Power City a couple of weeks ago. Beko brand.

It has a top and bottom oven. The top oven also houses the grill. There are separate controls for both the top oven and the grill. When you put the top oven on, it comes on ok and works ok, but if you turn the heat up or down, the grill comes on...when I say grill, I mean the red bars that heat up & glow bright red. I am not changing the function over from top oven to grill, I am just adjusting the temperature.

This never happened in any other oven I had, that had top oven/grill combo and a bottom oven. You could feel the oven heating, but the grill part didn't light up. I am following the directions in the manual & am setting the function knob to the correct setting for the kind of cooking I am using the top oven for....such as bake spuds.

Is this normal? Surely it can't be, as it is charring the food I am cooking.

I was in Power City recently and the man I spoke to knew nothing about ovens and told me to call Beko, as it is a manufacturer problem. Was listening to consumer affairs program on the wireless recently and the lady said that as the item was bought from Power City, it is up to them to fix it. Where do I stand on that? Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The responsibility for dealing with any issues lies with the person who got your money: Power City.

It might do you no harm to call Beko, because they might sort things out for you in a painless way. But if they don't, take the issue up with Power City. A call to Beko does not weaken your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks. My landladies father bought it on her behalf, for the house that I live in. So I want to get a clear picture of who is legally obliged to do what, as there are so many people involved in the purchase & use of the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Power City's obligation is to whoever paid them - either your landlady or her father. Your landlady has an obligation to you, as you have rights as a tenant. So the correct path seems to be that you complain to your landlady, and either she or her father pursue the matter with Power City.

A call to Beko seems more convenient. As I said, the call will not abrogate your rights, so you have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The seller is responsible for resolving this problem but their obligation is to the buyer (landlady's father) not to you so you need to get your landlady sort this out.
    In the meantime I would turn the mains switch off and not use the cooker as a precaution. A friend's Beko was replaced in its first week of use, turned out internal wiring was melting.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The seller is responsible for resolving this problem but their obligation is to the buyer (landlady's father) not to you so you need to get your landlady sort this out.
    In the meantime I would turn the mains switch off and not use the cooker as a precaution. A friend's Beko was replaced in its first week of use, turned out internal wiring was melting.

Yeah, I know it's technically her job to sort out, but she's fine with me doing it. I prefer to handle it myself to be honest, as I prefer to be the one talking to the tradesmen/repairmen/deliverymen etc etc as I'm the end user. She isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it's technically her job to sort out, but she's fine with me doing it. I prefer to handle it myself to be honest, as I prefer to be the one talking to the tradesmen/repairmen/deliverymen etc etc as I'm the end user. She isn't.

They may talk to you but technically they are under no obligation to do so as they have no contract with you, that's all slimjimmc was saying.

In the end though you are renting a place and I'd expect the person I'm renting the cooker from to sort it out :pac:

If I was the Landlord I'd prefer to do it that way, the Tenant might accept a remedy I was not happy with.

Went into Power City today and had a chat with one of the sales team about the problem. Just wanted to check - with someone presumably in the know - that there wasn't some particular quirk that was making the oven act up, that I may have overlooked. There wasn't. The staff member had no idea what was causing the oven to be doing what it is. So he logged me down for a call from their service department on Monday. He wasn't remotely concerned that I am the tenant & my landlady was the official purchaser of the oven. He just wanted to get the ball rolling on getting it fixed as soon as possible.

Sent my landlady an email telling her what is going on & that I am willing to sort it out. As it won't cost anything (due to the oven still being under warranty) I am 100% certain I'll get a response telling me to fire away. Dunno if the service department are going to kick up a fuss about dealing with me and not her, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for all yer input.

Advertisement