Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Bridge issues (I think)

Options
  • 27-11-2015 3:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I have a quite old piece of equipment that came connected by PCI card. However the old PC it was running on has fried. The HD (Vista) is still OK though. So I've moved the HD to a new(er) Dell and installed the PCI card. It's supposed to set up a COM5 port for output and COM6 for data input.
    However what appears to be happening is COM5 is a "normal" port, with a Properties->Resources tab while COM6 is some sort of Enhanced port running via an Intel 82801 PCI Bridge. I can't find the IO or IRQ settings for this in Properties at all as it looks totally different, and I need them for the .ini files setup.
    So, is this PCI Bridge a hardware thing only? If I got my hands on another very old PC that is pre-PCI Bridge would I have a better chance of the equipment working? Or is there a way of making a newer PC tell me the exact IRQ and IO for COM6?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

COM Ports enumerate differently from machine to machine, you might have COM6 and COM7 on the daughterboard you installed and COM5 onboard.
    C:\>wmic path Win32_SerialPort

Run that and see what the output is.

Advertisement