Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Main Christmas Market in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, as per title whats the biggest/best Christmas Market in the city center this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, as per title whats the biggest/best Christmas Market in the city center this year?

The one down in the IFSC has been there a good few years and it's usually fairly decent. There's one running for the next few weekends in Stoneybatter but not sure how good it is. Heading later so I'm hopeful!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is the IFSC one the IBELIEVE one thats in the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is the IFSC one the IBELIEVE one thats in the news?

Yeah - there was no IFSC market last year, in previous years there was the "12 days of Christmas" market - this year's one looks much the same except it's running for longer. There are also a number of pop-up shops inside the adjacent CHQ building including Kilkenny Shop and a Bord Bia showcase which opened yesterday.

Perfect thanks, whereabouts is the one in Stoneybatter?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I Believe definitely seems much better than previous attempts in the IFSC. The food options are certainly better. I only had a quick look after they turned on the lights but first impressions were good.

The bar looks super uncomfortable though. Don't bother with that. You have to pay a ridiculous amount to get in there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was there yesterday, food options were terrible. Pizza, curry and chips is all i can really remember. Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was there yesterday, food options were terrible. Pizza, curry and chips is all i can really remember. Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone to go

there are loads of food options inside CHQ though (it's also warmer in there..)

It was a joke, miserable little thing you could walk around in 5 minutes, absolutely nothing of interest whatsoever. Theres usually a 20 page thread in the Galway forum complaining about that one but at least its a proper market, this was just a couple of stalls with as said, the usual burger and chips, the cheap kind aswell not even something interesting like a charcoal grill, they were charging the same prices though. Food options inside seemed to consist of various noodle and salad offerings, all overpriced aswell and nothing to do with a Christmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Theres usually a 20 page thread in the Galway forum complaining about that one but at least its a proper market

Having just returned from a weekend in Galway all 5 in our group agreed that the markets there were complete sh1t! Hardly any stalls and it was 2/3 food / drink stalls and 1/3 crafts etc. Haven't been before but perhaps the bad weather is preventing more people from setting up ?

I'm hoping the Dublin ones are a lot better (went to the markets in Prague a few years ago, amazing!!! absolutely amazing!!)

A Ryanair flight to any cold European city will probably get you a better Christmas market tbh with some hope of seeing something interesting and not just the same old stalls selling the same crap you see at every festival in Ireland Summer or Winter (every vendor Ive seen in Galway and Dublin markets were all at Bray Summerfest and the airshow a few months ago).

The Georges Dock market really is a stinker though, depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

What exactly are the expectations for a Christmas market? What kind of stuff should it sell, like what are you seeing in Prague that is what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Went to the I believe thing on Saturday. Walked around it in about 10 minutes and bought our little one popcorn. There were plenty of food options though not just burgers and chips in fairness (paella stall looked decent)

I would say it's very similar to the Galway one with their wooden looking cabins making it look a lot better.

Every time I go to a street market, I'm reminded of why I don't like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Every single event in Dublin is run buy the same people, same stalls with the same rip-off items for sale.

I mean, rain hail or shine there's always that stall with the vaguely "south american" looking colourful woolen clothes, the price of them though.

Then there's the noodles in soy sauce and the falafal man, generic cheap burgers for six fifty (or is it seven quid now?) and usually a woman selling some painted glass.

Doesn't matter if it's a summerfest, or a Xmas one, the stalls are always the same.

Maybe at Xmas someone heats up some Lidl 4.99 red wine and chucks in some cinnamon, shure that'll do.

Personally, I'm heading off to Amsterdam for the weekend.

A Ryanair flight to any cold European city will probably get you a better Christmas market tbh with some hope of seeing something interesting and not just the same old stalls selling the same crap you see at every festival in Ireland Summer or Winter (every vendor Ive seen in Galway and Dublin markets were all at Bray Summerfest and the airshow a few months ago).

The Georges Dock market really is a stinker though, depressing.
    I go to a European one every year, the difference is unreal.
    MrMorooka wrote: »
    What exactly are the expectations for a Christmas market? What kind of stuff should it sell, like what are you seeing in Prague that is what you want?
    First of all, they're all wooden huts instead of white tents. Lots of little snacks, and hot chocolate with alcohol is €3 instead of 6. Heading to Brussels one now, I'll give a more detailed description later

I'm not sure that you can expect the prices to be the same as in Prague etc, the reality is Dublin is an expensive city and the cost of living/doing business means you're going to be paying more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

do we expect to see a German / European themed market, even though it's just the 'Dublin' market?

If you want German / European themed, you gotta go abroad to get it.
    I think there was a German styled market here a few years ago...

The Dublin Market is just an excuse to sell the same stuff during Christmas.
    We have no tradition of Christmas markets here.... except for knock off selection boxes / premier league jerseys / jedward posters and 'rappin' payper... foive sheet for a euro!!!'

I've been to many of the Christmas markets around Germany, and you'll never get to recreate the magic here or anywhere else that you'll get there.

Yeah, that's my feeling. I have no idea what a Christmas Market is about, it's not a thing we have traditionally done here at all. Like the comment someone made about hating up Lidl wine and adding cinnamon - well, like, what do you expect? We don't have a cultural knowledge of making mulled/spiced wine. If you want that kind of experience, I'm sure it exists in countries where it is a major thing.

People don't come to the Dublin Oktoberfest from around the world over the real thing in Germany, it's same idea(I can't think of an Irish event that qualifies for the metaphor). We can have our own version of the thing, but don't expect it to be as good.

Still, I'd love to hear what people see in the Christmas Market concept, what they would like to see and what it's all about to them.

Should point out I wasn't really criticizing the Dublin one. I was looking for something to kill an hour or so with my family. All efforts are to be applauded

Yeah, that's my feeling. I have no idea what a Christmas Market is about, it's not a thing we have traditionally done here at all. Like the comment someone made about hating up Lidl wine and adding cinnamon - well, like, what do you expect? We don't have a cultural knowledge of making mulled/spiced wine. If you want that kind of experience, I'm sure it exists in countries where it is a major thing.

Sounds to me you think the knock-off Gluhwein is ok then? Maybe that is the traditional Dublin market, knock off tat and rip off crap - actually, yes, that IS traditional Dublin at this stage.

As for your final sentence there, yep, as I already said I'll be jetting off to Amsterdam on Thursday (thanks to Michael O'Leary!) and experiencing a true continental Christmas experience.

Dublin can keep it's lame excuse tbh, if you are going to do something do it properly, or don't do it at all. It's insulting to normal people's intelligence when something is so very obviously a pocket-raiding exercise for all involved.

Dodge wrote: »
    Should point out I wasn't really criticizing the Dublin one. I was looking for something to kill an hour or so with my family. All efforts are to be applauded

Do you have kids in buggies? If you do, then most certainly avoid the IFSC one, the space from one side of stalls to the other makes for a very uncomfortable experience for both families and people without kids too. I've experienced both sides of this at the Dublin "Christmas" Market.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that "all efforts" should be applauded. Nope, not when the Dublin effort is a poor excuse more geared to generating cashflow than providing anything like the European experience.

If they want to do an "Irish" style market, then do it, but don't try to copy the German model and then so spectacularly fail at it. Year after year.

• Advertisement

Interesting food, well presented, a possibility of picking up interesting presents for loved ones outside of the usual crap they can instantly identify as coming from TK Maxx or Argos or wherever. Being able to try different food and drink at different stalls instead of having to pick one vendor and grit your teeth at their ridiculous restaurant prices. A Christmas market experience instead of some poundshop decorations stuck on the same 5-6 stalls you saw at every event in the country for the last 3 years.

No hope of finding anything like that in Dublin. Not just the vendors fault though, no doubt they have to recoup their investment after all the red tape they had to push through for the honour of setting up a stall to sell stuff. In other countries you'll get handmade crafts and stuff like that, not a hope of anyone who does that in Ireland being able to afford the insurance and licenses and all that.

Do you have kids in buggies? If you do, then most certainly avoid the IFSC one, the space from one side of stalls to the other makes for a very uncomfortable experience for both families and people without kids too. I've experienced both sides of this at the Dublin "Christmas" Market.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that "all efforts" should be applauded. Nope, not when the Dublin effort is a poor excuse more geared to generating cashflow than providing anything like the European experience.

If they want to do an "Irish" style market, then do it, but don't try to copy the German model and then so spectacularly fail at it. Year after year.

I didn't find it so enraging as you. It passed 10-15 minutes and we were on our way. Shame it wasn't better but my "all efforts are to be applauded" was aimed at anybody who trys to cater to the family market.

I bought a popcorn for the lttle one. I didn't feel like I was being forced to spend money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't agree at all that we should just put up with sub standard fare, just because Dublin doesn't have a history of doing "proper" Christmas markets. I've had great experiences at the Galway & Edinburgh markets & neither of them have a long & glorious history of Xmas markets.

In both cases, the experience was greatly enhanced by the market being in places with a bit of atmosphere, that people already congregate in. Shoehorning the Christmas market into the utterly soulless IFSC area, makes it feel very flat & dreary imo.

In Galway, there was a baker selling amazing products that you'd never find in your bog standard supermarket. There was a florist (of sorts) selling incredible arrangements & Xmas wreaths that you'd never find in your bog standard garden centre & at half the price too. In Edinburgh, I got jewellery, unique gift items & silver antique bits & bob's that you'd never find in your bog standard shopping centre, that made great Xmas presents.

There are lots people out there making things worth buying, who can't afford to sell their wares in traditional shops. You either put the effort into finding them & making it relatively easy & cheap for them to set up in a market, or you don't. A trader I spoke to at last year's market at Stephens Green, said he could only afford to take his stall for one day a week. A colleague (selling other items) took it another day. It was empty the other days. That is unacceptable imo.

Read somewhere that the Grafton St traders scuppered the market being at Stephens Green again this year, as it took business away from them. Fair enough, they pay rents & rates all year around. But surely to goodness, there is room for both, in a city as big & busy as Dublin?

The same NIMBYism that was rearing it's head in Malahide recently.

Don't think that you can compare the two. The residents of Malahide Marina village are concerned about access to their homes, due to the market being right beside them. The limited public parking beside Starbucks (that is used for over flow parking for visitors to it) will be gobbled up by the market too. The lack of consultation with the residents is what seems to have ticked them off the most.

Some of the complaints - such as not being able to walk their dogs on the green while the market is on - seem a bit silly alright. But some of the organization and decision making around the Malahide Xmas market/fair, seems to have been a bit high handed. The Grafton St traders are just being greedy. As if a few hog dogs on a stick & over priced pot pourri, are going to make a big difference to their bottom line? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that you can expect the prices to be the same as in Prague etc, the reality is Dublin is an expensive city and the cost of living/doing business means you're going to be paying more.

I've been to a few German ones. I've been to Edinburgh, berlin, Koln, Brugges, Bremen. None compare to the excuse of a market in Dublin. All have way more food options, much nicer setups. Bremen is usually really cheap to fly to and accommodation

Bremen is usually really cheap to fly to and accommodation

Would you and others really to a city specifically for the market? I guess I'm really not getting the appeal!

Would you and others really to a city specifically for the market? I guess I'm really not getting the appeal!

Yep. If it is done well, a Christmas market can be a big draw in the run up to Christmas. Add in the other Xmasy things... the lights, the decorations, the open air ice skating rink, the old fashioned carousel rides for the kids, the carol singers and other musical acts, the medieval "old town" buildings & squares done up in all their finery, can all add to a wonderful Xmassy atmosphere, that people will travel miles to experience.

Check out the giant bumper Christmas market thread over in the Travel forum. It exists for a reason. It may not be your cup of tea, or mulled wine, but when done well, it is for a lot of people.

I go away every December, early for a city break. Christmas market is a bonus.

• Advertisement

Same as the above, we always go away the first weekend of December, if the city we end up in has a Xmas Market then it's a bonus.

Advertisement