Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Main Christmas Market in Dublin?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,855 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Point Village are finally opening their toilets (not the cinema ones) for the first time in 6 years for the market. Will be like some Celtic tiger time capsule probably

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there anything on anywhere this weekend? That Flea Market in Point Village seems to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think the Kilruddery Market in Bray is on Saturday through to Tuesday

Yeah I was up there, feck all difference to the Saturday market thats on all year tbh. The parents are in town next weekend, was hoping to have something like a Christmas market to do with them but doesnt look like theres anything on. That iBelieve crap really is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

There's stuff on in Farmleigh this weekend if you can trek out to the Phoenix Park

http://www.farmleigh.ie/events/Title,35657,en.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I'm just home from 3 days in Nuremberg at their Christkindlmarkt. Incredible stuff. 180 stalls, with amazing home made treats, sweets, cakes, ornaments, decorations, and of course tons of variations of gluhwein (I sampled as much as physically possible). Lots of really festive music and carol singing on a big stage. There's also a kids market nearby, which despite the name, still sells gluhwein at almost every second stall. The whole vibe was extremely festive, but not in a tacky way. In a real traditional way. Great to see people all out drinking on the streets, and not an ounce of trouble in sight, and I hardly saw a security guard all weekend. This market was even better than that in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, which is really saying something.

On that note, I’m thinking of checking out the I believe in Christmas market at the Custom House. Am I wasting my time? Do they serve gluhwein? What is the general vibe like? Am I destined to be disappointed after coming from the German markets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Chivito550 wrote: »
    On that note, I’m thinking of checking out the I believe in Christmas market at the Custom House. Am I wasting my time? Do they serve gluhwein? What is the general vibe like? Am I destined to be disappointed after coming from the German markets?

I'd expect you to be disappointed, Dublin markets are nothing like German/Austrian markets of which I was lucky to see a good few.

And why would they, why to copy something like this literally? To me the best Dublin experiences are Kilruddery Christmas market and Christmas on the Square in Merrion Sq buildings. If these could be scaled up and set up somewhere like Merrion Sq park they would provide this unique Dublin experience. But perhaps their charm is that they do not scale up and must remain as they are...

There's stuff on in Farmleigh this weekend if you can trek out to the Phoenix Park

http://www.farmleigh.ie/events/Title,35657,en.html
    Looks a bit kiddy, suppose we'll just walk around Arnotts and Grafton street.
    I'm just home from 3 days in Nuremberg at their Christkindlmarkt. Incredible stuff. 180 stalls, with amazing home made treats, sweets, cakes, ornaments, decorations, and of course tons of variations of gluhwein (I sampled as much as physically possible). Lots of really festive music and carol singing on a big stage. There's also a kids market nearby, which despite the name, still sells gluhwein at almost every second stall. The whole vibe was extremely festive, but not in a tacky way. In a real traditional way. Great to see people all out drinking on the streets, and not an ounce of trouble in sight, and I hardly saw a security guard all weekend. This market was even better than that in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, which is really saying something.

iBelieve is tiny, go see it by all means but bear in mind its a 10 minute walk and you're done. rip-off prices and one tent selling wooden spatulas and bowls etc, the rest are the same old food vendors.

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks a bit kiddy, suppose we'll just walk around Arnotts and Grafton street.

iBelieve is tiny, go see it by all means but bear in mind its a 10 minute walk and you're done. rip-off prices and one tent selling wooden spatulas and bowls etc, the rest are the same old food vendors.

No stalls selling mulled wine?

I didnt see any but it was earlier in the day, I didn't see a booze tent at all now that I think of it, I think they were using the bricks and mortar restaurant that was already there on the dock for that, I didn't go near it. Just hop on the LUAS and scout it out yourself, it'll take you 10 minutes to do a lap, its not an event like you get on the continent at all...

• Advertisement

I didnt see any but it was earlier in the day, I didn't see a booze tent at all now that I think of it, I think they were using the bricks and mortar restaurant that was already there on the dock for that, I didn't go near it. Just hop on the LUAS and scout it out yourself, it'll take you 10 minutes to do a lap, its not an event like you get on the continent at all...

Jaysus. Sounds pretty amateurish. Fair enough we don't have any tradition in this kind of thing, but neither does Manchester, and they put on pretty great markets by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Is there anything on anywhere this weekend? That Flea Market in Point Village seems to be over.

Dublin Flea is having another market in The Chocolate Factory in King's Inn: https://allevents.in/dublin/the-chocolate-factory-byob-christmas-flea/1720530478176763#

I was talking to a friend who was running a stall selling Christmas cards at the Point Village one last weekend and she'll be there, reckons it'll be great, she said The Chocolate Factory space is really interesting.

quaalude wrote: »
    Dublin Flea is having another market in The Chocolate Factory in King's Inn: https://allevents.in/dublin/the-chocolate-factory-byob-christmas-flea/1720530478176763#

I was talking to a friend who was running a stall selling Christmas cards at the Point Village one last weekend and she'll be there, reckons it'll be great, she said The Chocolate Factory space is really interesting.
    Brilliant thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No stalls selling mulled wine?

there is mulled wine (its €6 a cup)

loyatemu wrote: »
    there is mulled wine (its €6 a cup)

So exactly double what it costs in Nuremberg! Better than not having any though. I'll pop along and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Kilruddery link. Ive no connection to the place.

http://www.killruddery.com/kilruddery-farm-market/

Head down to the Killruddery Christmas Farm Market this December, running from 10am to 4pm every weekend of the month – 5th & 6th, 12th & 13th, 19th & 20th and just before Christmas on Monday and Tuesday 21st and 22nd 11am to 5pm (some of our regular stall holders wont be at the weekday markets, as they can’t make it but there will be other stallholders instead. - See more at: http://www.killruddery.com/kilruddery-farm-market/#sthash.3NkBx7oh.dpuf

Went to the I Believe in Christmas Market. A couple of positives in that there was no security and restricted drinking area like there was in Stephens Green last year, and there was one lad who had his own unique mulled wine, which was tasty enough, even if it seemed very watered down. There was a few guys playing traditional Irish music, and doing some Christmas music with a trad twist, which is the type of thing that can work. Bringing a genuine Irish twist to things.

Overall, it's a poor poor effort though. The stalls lack character. Just equal-sized tents, which have an awful lot of empty space inside some. Then there's some tents which are closed completely, some even with nothing inside. Almost none of the stalls have anything to do with Christmas. Even Lidl had a stall which really shouldn't be allowed. The food options are just like what you would get at a music festival, and what has Indian food got to do with Christmas? There were very little Christmas related treats and sweets either. In general, the area where it is located is a bit soulless, and the market lacks atmosphere and seems fairly empty in parts. For all it's issues, the Stephen's Green Market at least had atmosphere. I hope they bring it back into the city centre next year.

I'd be more outraged, but I've just had 3 amazing days in Germany, so I don't care as much. I'll just keep going abroad for them each year. Great excuse to get away too.

worded wrote: »
    Kilruddery link. Ive no connection to the place.

http://www.killruddery.com/kilruddery-farm-market/

Head down to the Killruddery Christmas Farm Market this December, running from 10am to 4pm every weekend of the month – 5th & 6th, 12th & 13th, 19th & 20th and just before Christmas on Monday and Tuesday 21st and 22nd 11am to 5pm (some of our regular stall holders wont be at the weekday markets, as they can’t make it but there will be other stallholders instead. - See more at: http://www.killruddery.com/kilruddery-farm-market/#sthash.3NkBx7oh.dpuf
    Its tiny though, a 60 second walk past 10 or less stalls, really not sure its worth a trek out to Bray for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Has anyone been to the Christmas Funderland thing in the RDS? I'm thinking of heading over to do a bit of iceskating, was thinking of maybe heading into the funfair itself. Trying to work out if it's worth the trip, and the wristband for 4 hours and unlimited rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Went to the I believe market yesterday and it was dreadful. No atmosphere what so ever. It was much better in Stephens green last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

garbeth wrote: »
    Went to the I believe market yesterday and it was dreadful. No atmosphere what so ever. It was much better in Stephens green last year.

Dear god is it really that bad! Last year was atrocious! I'll be in Edinburgh after Christmas maybe I'll just wait until then to go to a market although they made some changes this year (think it was a new management company) and it seems not everyone was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

Yeah you'd be better off going down Grafton street as we did or Moore street to get an atmosphere dreadful waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I thought I Believe was truly miserable. Zero atmosphere and the place was filthy. The tree wasn't great either considering the hype. The lights were dragging down the top of the tree so it was bent over - it just looked shoddy. Don't waste your time.

I thought I Believe was truly miserable. Zero atmosphere and the place was filthy. The tree wasn't great either considering the hype. The lights were dragging down the top of the tree so it was bent over - it just looked shoddy. Don't waste your time.

Haha I gave them the benefit of the doubt and just assumed they were going for an artsy Leaning Tower of Pisa style xmas tree!

Advertisement