Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else get 'asked where they are from ?'

Options
  • 27-11-2015 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

and you happen to be local ? This happens to me quite a bit and I think it's amusing :)

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

Yeah I think I must have a relatively neutral-sounding accent, despite being from Cork.

Unless I'm shouting! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

People now think I'm a Dub.....I've picked up some of the accent in the 15+ years I've been living here.

Get a bit of grief for it too when I go home to visit :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NumptyB

All the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

only all the time (sigh :()

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Oh, yeah. I live in Sligo. I immigrated from Texas. I don't technically have any accent but "standard American", the same neutral accent they teach CNN news announcers. That happened because I lived in so many places in America while I was growing up.

This happens a lot:

- Where are you from?
    - Sligo.
    - No, really (lol), where are you from?
    - OK, I moved here from Texas.
    - What? You don't sound like a Texan. You can't be from Texas.
    - OK, fine, if you insist, I'm not from Texas.
    - Well, then where are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

^ That's funny, cos i get the same thing, alot... Like:

Them: Where are you from?
    Me: Scotland
    Them: No, that's not it.
    Me: :rolleyes:

Or the accusation some Texans are known for... the "You aren't from around here, are ya?!" ...(I've discovered there is no good answer to that)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

B00! wrote: »
    ^ That's funny, cos i get the same thing, alot... Like:

Them: Where are you from?
    Me: Scotland
    Them: No, that's not it.
    Me: :rolleyes:

Or the accusation some Texans are known for... the "You aren't from around here, are ya?!" ...(I've discovered there is no good answer to that)

There actually is a good answer. It's, "No, sir*, I'm from ____. But I got to Texas as fast as I could."

* "Sir" and "Ma'am" are not markers of inferiority, but of courtesy. You also use them when chiding your children or pets, like I do when I tell my kitten, "No, sir, you are NOT allowed on the kitchen table".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I get this question quite frequently but its what country are you from rather than what county!
    I've dark hair and dark features but a lightish skin tone so I've never really understood it myself. :confused:
    Both when I'm just at home and I meet someone new or abroad people are slow to believe I'm Irish adorned with a Cork accent and all! They usually ask then my ethnicity/where my parents are from.
    I've gotten stopped in the airport a fair few times, passport examined and any other proof of my nationality looked for.
    Strange stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I get this question quite frequently but its what country are you from rather than what county!
    I've dark hair and dark features but a lightish skin tone so I've never really understood it myself. :confused:
    Both when I'm just at home and I meet someone new or abroad people are slow to believe I'm Irish adorned with a Cork accent and all! They usually ask then my ethnicity/where my parents are from.
    I've gotten stopped in the airport a fair few times, passport examined and any other proof of my nationality looked for.
    Strange stuff!
    Picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Strange stuff!

Same here! I've been mistaken for Spanish, Turkish, (Italian - as a child as I was a lot more tanned), Polish and once, Slovakian! An Indian woman told me I looked German when I told her I was Irish. haha I'm not attractive enough to be any of the above!:pac: The Spanish and Italian were always from Irish people though - a Spanish girl I worked with said she didn't think I looked Spanish :pac: I mean I have sallow skin which has gotten paler as I've gotten older, blue/green eyes and brown hair. My father's family were quite dark though, both sides. He told me once his family were known as the yellow people :pac: as gaeilge as he's from Connemara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I don't know why speaking with an Irish accent is so difficult for me, I've spent nearly my entire life here, but I just usually speak with a convoluted accent of some form....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I've lived in Dublin for over 16 years, but as a Canadian and a Métis I am always mistaken for another nationality, like Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Croatian etc etc. Visiting those countries is great because I look like a local. :D

My accent is Canadian too so I'm also mistaken for being American a lot.

I do get a giggle when people ask where I'm from and I say 'Thomas Street'. Or when they ask how long I've been in Ireland...."16 years". Although the next question 'Do you like it here?' is a bit of a no brainer. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Only before they hear me speak. I am Irish.

People tend to ask if I am russian or scandanavian. I think it's cuz i am blonde.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

I've lived in Dublin for over 16 years, but as a Canadian and a Métis I am always mistaken for another nationality, like Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Croatian etc etc. Visiting those countries is great because I look like a local. :D

My accent is Canadian too so I'm also mistaken for being American a lot.

I do get a giggle when people ask where I'm from and I say 'Thomas Street'. Or when they ask how long I've been in Ireland...."16 years". Although the next question 'Do you like it here?' is a bit of a no brainer. :P
    I LOVE the French Canadian Accent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I grew up in Dublin but don't live there anymore. A few people like my driving instructor mentioned that they knew i was irish obviously but couldn't figure out where in Ireland i was from. My accent is fairly neutral.

Was out a few months ago and got chatting to this woman and after we were talking for a few minutes she said that she originally thought I was Polish for some reason!

Advertisement