Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to know if a car has genuine miles? (or to be as sure as possible)

• 27-11-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭

Looking at a car

2008 Diesel
    2 owners
    Miles less than < 60K miles

If it hasn't FSH how do I know aside from visible wear and tear miles are genuine?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

old NCT certs if it has them, otherwise motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie can tell you for a small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's the chances of 2 owners doing silly low mileage on a nearly 8 year old diesel car?

No verified service history to back it up then assume the worst and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Some cars store the milage on the ecu and the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

old NCT certs if it has them, otherwise motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie can tell you for a small fee.

How do they know? Do they have links to the NCT mileage every time and look for mileage that always gets greater?

you'd think that, but 2008 was the first year of "diesels for all".

we could be talking a 1.4 diesel fiesta owned by an elderly couple etc etc, i know that in itself poses a who other wealth of issues. but we aren't strictly assuming rep mobile sized cars as soon as diesel is mentioned anymore.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    Some cars store the milage on the ecu and the key.

She is a Honda 2008

worded wrote: »
    How do they know? Do they have links to the NCT mileage every time and look for mileage that always gets greater?

yes and no. if they notice a discrepancy, they actually can't tell you iirc. The mileage is printed on all the certs though, so you can use that as a guideline.

it's actually not too relevant with this car as it's only actually been tested once before, so there's plenty of scope to fiddle the numbers.

OP, have you a link to the car you are looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

She is a Honda 2008

Not sure about hondas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Highly unlikely an Accord 2008 with the ictdi engine would have only done less than 60k in the intervening period of time.
    Given that they have 12500 mile service intervals or 20k then thats three services in 7 years.
    Oil lying about in an engine would not be a good thing in my view.
    Low mileage cars are as much or more of a risk than high milers in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Won't give you a great idea but look at the driver side of the car. Seat bolster from getting in and out, the hand brake stalk, the wheel itself and the footwell near the pedals. A higher mileage car will be worn to a greater extent. It's not accurate in the slightest but you'll get a much better idea of the mileage. Furthermore if there are any receipts for large mileage works e.g. Shocks, top mounts, clutch, fly wheel, timing belts & chains etc.

You should at the very least have some service history of some description to even consider a sale, and tip-ex on the engine bay doesn't count ;) It's a buyers market in Ireland so there is no reason to take a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I have a 2006 Focus with 75k miles on it - (120k km). 2 owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

bazz26 wrote: »
    What's the chances of 2 owners doing silly low mileage on a nearly 8 year old diesel car?

No verified service history to back it up then assume the worst and walk away.

If the talk on here was to believed then there'd be a good chance, given that supposedly eveyone in 2008 bought diesels for short trips.

166man wrote: »
    If the talk on here was to believed then there'd be a good chance, given that supposedly eveyone in 2008 bought diesels for short trips.
    Some may have but I doubt that anyone would have bought a 2.2 for shopping trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think the best course of action when buying an Irish secondhand car is to assume it has been clocked and only buy if the price would be a good price for a car with much higher mileage. Relying on the mileage on the clock is about as sensible as relying on tippex to tell you the timing belt has been changed.

166man wrote: »

Still seems a bit daft to go out buying a 2.2 litre yoke to do fell all driving of it. But whatever about 1 owner not doing much driving, what's the chances of the second owner of the car not driving it much too? Law of averages would say that at least one of them would have bought it to use it. If it is genuine then the service history should be consistent and back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You can tell a 60k mile car from a 260k mile car from the interior generally. Wear on the seats/steering wheel/pedals etc but there are all things that can be changed so don't be convinced if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

We have a 2006 fiesta with only 55k kms from new serviced every 12 months regardless of mileage. Also a 08 Avensis with 70k miles fully checked and verified so these type of cars do exist

I was told by the sales man that the car is just in and hasn't been valated yet. That's good as I can see it pre pimp.

When I asked about FSH I was told yes. Documentation? - the fellow who has the documentation won't be in until mid week. Disappointed that can't be viewed sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it an import by any chance?
    You can check uk mot records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it an import by any chance?
    You can check uk mot records.

It's a handy check and it costs nothing.

• Advertisement

The www ad says its in "Miles" and does a concertion to KMs. Don't know if its an import.

I paid for a two star check - 3 would have told me if it was an import. Cartel I think. I'm on my phone now.

There is no pic of the odometer - but she is on irish plates and has been NCT once here if I recall. So it could have been imported when driver 1 sold the car

motorcheck.ie will tell you if it's an import for free.

15k dublin reg, doubt it's an import.

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    We have a 2006 fiesta with only 55k kms from new serviced every 12 months regardless of mileage. Also a 08 Avensis with 70k miles fully checked and verified so these type of cars do exist

Sure there are low mileage cars out there, my father has a 2009 Auris with only 49k km. However nobody is disputing that fact but the point is that very few tend to buy 2.2 litre diesel cars especially an Accord which would not have been cheap when new, only to drive it to the shops and back. Given that clocking is rife you would need good evidence that the mileage was genuine on such a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

I was told by the sales man that the car is just in and hasn't been valated yet. That's good as I can see it pre pimp.

When I asked about FSH I was told yes. Documentation? - the fellow who has the documentation won't be in until mid week. Disappointed that can't be viewed sooner.

Give "the fellow" a chance to source a blank service book and to print up something convincing and backstamp it will ya. :pac:

La Fenetre wrote: »
    Give "the fellow" a chance to source a blank service book and to print up something convincing and backstamp it will ya. :pac:

That's very funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there any link to the car on the thread, I can't see anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That's very funny

It would be if it wasn't so simple to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Are you buying from the second owner ie the sane person registered on the logbook? How long have the had they had the car? How much service history is present. ... phone some garages on the logbook and ask about the service history. How good is the overall condition of the interior/exterior?

• Advertisement

accords can wear the miles very well, that gorgeous red one I went to see during the summer had a huge amount of extra mileage on it compared to the clock and you genuinely couldn't tell.

Dealer sale
    Two previous owners
    I've yet to see the car - will report back next week when I do.

It's unfortunate the FSH isn't with the car and available to the sales person from day 1.

When viewing will look for signs of wear beyond expected for the mileage.

Does the UK have a better system of accurately recording mileage and deterring / detecting messing than ireland ?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    accords can wear the miles very well, that gorgeous red one I went to see during the summer had a huge amount of extra mileage on it compared to the clock and you genuinely couldn't tell.

Most modern cars do but I keep an eye out for soggy seat bases and bolsters mainly. Holes under the floor mats also a giveaway. Other than that drive a few cars with similar mileage and know what to feel.

Some cars are great at hiding massive mileage. ......... as too are sellers with lost service history.....

Does the UK have a better system of accurately recording mileage and deterring / detecting messing than ireland ?

Not really.

The English reg at least captures the mileage at MOT time, so you can check previous milages, but this doesn't allow for haircuts between MOT's.
    NI and Ireland don't make any of their mileage recordings available to the public why? Both jurisdictions use a centralised test centre and it would be simple to implement.
    Maybe they sell the data to companies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

A friend of mine bought a new Accord 2.2cdti in 2005. Sold it on 6yr later with about 50k miles on it. Barely drove it...only had a short commute to work every day

A rare example but possible

I'd like to see you have a service history to back it up though

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought a new Accord 2.2cdti in 2005. Sold it on 6yr later with about 50k miles on it. Barely drove it...only had a short commute to work every day

Very true.

Just wondering would you think there is interest in Ireland for a motor history tracking service? Where you can put details of work done to your car and mileage etc.

Very true.

Just wondering would you think there is interest in Ireland for a motor history tracking service? Where you can put details of work done to your car and mileage etc.

You can voluntarily put your mileage into the motorcheck website

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

ba_barabus wrote: »
    You can voluntarily put your mileage into the motorcheck website

But when selling the car the other person will have to pay whereas if there was a service online you can print off the details and show it to the person viewing. Could also have other details like tyre changes, oil changes, brakes etc etc.

But when selling the car the other person will have to pay whereas if there was a service online you can print off the details and show it to the person viewing. Could also have other details like tyre changes, oil changes, brakes etc etc.

A good service history backed up with receipts will tell you all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

so will a forged one

so will a forged one

Call the garages listed or whoever is named on receipts. They should be able to pull up a copy of it on their computer to verify it. I've done it before.

Very true.

Digitally - An ideal way to do this is a link up with the NCT data base.
    Every NCT the Mileage is recorded

Manually - Keep all NCT certs as proof etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Lex Luthor wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's that rare...most of the people I worked with until recently, drove 2008 and later diesel cars - the vast majority of which were four door saloons with 1.8 to 2.5 liters engines. Most of them had commutes of less than 10 km (That's roughly 6 miles for those...ahem...stuck in 2002:) ). Which means these cars traveled a grand total of, including dropping kids to school and a trip to the supermarket, 35km a day; Which in turn means, if they used the car every single day of the year (which they won't, but it should compensate for the odd long trip), about 89.000km in 7 years - roughly 55k miles.

Of course it's good to double check for clocking, but I wouldn't go the automatic "small mileage diesel = clocked car" way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 spudmuncher

Hi all,
    Beware of a 2009 Passat Highline 2.0 TDI Estate with a claimed mileage of 96000 miles on carzone at the moment. The vendor's phone number is 085 1531322.

If you check the reg SE09BVW on total car check, it reports that the mileage was 194810 miles at it's last MOT in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Hi all,
    Beware of a 2009 Passat Highline 2.0 TDI Estate with a claimed mileage of 96000 miles on carzone at the moment. The vendor's phone number is 085 1531322.

If you check the reg SE09BVW on total car check, it reports that the mileage was 194810 miles at it's last MOT in July.

Jesus she got a fair hair cut..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

Ask "Eddie"(no private numbers please) about a 2011 Passat Highline Estate with 75,000 miles on the clock with a full mywheels report ,which had 160,000 miles up in February.

(Done Deal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

Hi all,

I spotted and commented on that car 3 weeks ago.I'd say he doesn't know about the mot checker website!

Hi all,

Report it They will probably remove the ad. Donedeal would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 spudmuncher

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Report it They will probably remove the ad. Donedeal would anyway.

I reported it before putting up my earlier post but its still there at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement