Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Playstation TV worthwhile?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting the Playstation TV but I can't quite convince myself it is worthwhile.

I have a PS4 so I get that I can do the remote play which is kind of cool if it works well. After that the ability to play older back catalog games somewhat appeals to me. I guess I like what it says it does, the question is does it do it well?

Anyone out there with experience with it reckon it is worthwhile? At €60-ish, it isn't exactly going to break the bank but i don't want to waste money either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

For me, i think it was worth it, I had another TV, with no consoles hooked up to it and I've a huge catalog of games for vita/ps1 in my account that I like having available in another room. It shows up regularly cheaper than €50 in various places so if you're just waiting for the price to drop further I'd keep looking for another deal. I saw it for less than €40 in a bargains alert recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Remote Play is in development for PC/Mac if that helps. Full article on Eurogamer.net

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

I bought it and found it a huge let down.

Netflix wont play on it.

Playing games in another room from your ps4 ( the reason I bought) was a waste of time. Huge delay after you hit a button.

You cannot watch dvds/blu-rays either.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Thanks everyone for the replies, it is very difficult to get up to date user experiences about the PSTV. I have decided against getting one for now.

It sounds a little flaky from reading here (and reviews elsewhere). I can't believe they still haven't got Netflix working on it - thanks Colonel_McCoy for that info.

The remote play would have been the main reason for getting one but if that isn't up to scratch (and I have seen the same complaints in a few other places), I guess I will wait and see if a better version of the PSTV comes out.

Until then I guess I will just move the PS4 into a different room if I want to play somewhere else and I will live without the back catalog of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Remote play works fine if you don't use wifi to connect it. My ps4 is connected to router with Cat5 & I have the pstv connected to router with a powerline adapter.
    If I connect by wifi it's not reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

ffocused wrote: »
    Remote play works fine if you don't use wifi to connect it. My ps4 is connected to router with Cat5 & I have the pstv connected to router with a powerline adapter.
    If I connect by wifi it's not reliable.

That seems to be a common theme too, my problem here is for reasons I can't understand the powerline adapter wont work where the playstation is and it is too far away from the router to go Cat5 so I have no option except wifi there, the powerline works fine where I would be putting the PSTV, but I am snookered at the console side.

Advertisement