Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Media and children

Options
  • 27-11-2015 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My almost 10 years-old daughter wants to join Facebook and my husband thinks it is no big deal, but I think she is too young for it. Most of her friends are on facebook, but that doesn't convince me. Is there any alternative to it for children? What is the worst that can happen if she joins it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You've to be 13 to join, I thought?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH I think 9 is too young for facebook, the Ts&Cs say you've to be 13 to sign up. Unless your hubby holds the password, and she can only get on it when he is literally looking over her shoulder, I wouldn't be happy with it. This article has links to a lot of kid-friendly alternatives to Facebook, so they'd be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrMum

Thank you so much, ladies. It's always good to get some support to know I am not being too harsh on her. I guess you should be 13 to join, but what makes it so hard to stick to is the fact that many of my daughters friends from school are allowed to use it.

I have been looking into Internet Safety for children and there seems to be a big connection between the amount of hours spent online, favorite apps (facebook, instagram) and cyberbullying.

Advertisement