Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French press portioned ground coffee?

• 27-11-2015 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy ground coffee in sealed portions suitable for a typical 8 cup French press?

My parents don't drink coffee but like to be able to offer a cup for visitors (or myself!) the odd time. They typically open a standard half lb bag of ground coffee for one French press serving, then it goes stale before the next use.

I haven't come across coffee portioned like this, but surely it's a thing?...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

French press, has to be coarse grind?
    Otherwise I just buy some nespresso compatible/similar capsules and take them apart .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ponaire actually do something a bit like that I think:
    http://www.ponaire.ie/proddetail.php?prod=samp-bask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm not a coffee drinker and therefore a bit ignorant on the topic.

A friend of mine said his fav coffee is French press stuleand Colombian. Anyone know if I can this type in Lidl or Aldi? Is French press coffee beans or is it powder?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A friend of mine said his fav coffee is French press stuleand Colombian. Anyone know if I can this type in Lidl or Aldi? Is French press coffee beans or is it powder?:confused:
    I presume you meant to write 'French Press style and Colombian'?
    French press is a method of brewing coffee. Typically the device used to brew the coffee looks like this:
    B1932-16US4-300x300.png

So your friend probably enjoys coffee brewed using this method, so you should be looking for coffee suitable for use in a French press. Presumably your friend enjoys Columbian coffee. Most supermarkets will stock bags of coffee pre-ground, suitable for a French press, and from Columbia - typically for €3-€5 per bag. If it's for a gift, you could pick up something more appealing, and buy some freshly ground coffee from your local decent coffee shop - just ask them for something suitable for French Press (or even better, get them to grind it for you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Ponaire actually do something a bit like that I think:
    http://www.ponaire.ie/proddetail.php?prod=samp-bask

Thanks for that. Pricey though.

I've come to the realisation that the best option is probably to stock up on multiple cheap bags of Tesco coffee and sacrifice the extra. I've found some Tesco blends very drinkable in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I presume you meant to write 'French Press style and Colombian'?
    French press is a method of brewing coffee. Typically the device used to brew the coffee looks like this:
    B1932-16US4-300x300.png

So your friend probably enjoys coffee brewed using this method, so you should be looking for coffee suitable for use in a French press. Presumably your friend enjoys Columbian coffee. Most supermarkets will stock bags of coffee pre-ground, suitable for a French press, and from Columbia - typically for €3-€5 per bag. If it's for a gift, you could pick up something more appealing, and buy some freshly ground coffee from your local decent coffee shop - just ask them for something suitable for French Press (or even better, get them to grind it for you).

Ya sorry, typo.Ok, have a much better idea now. I got some Colombian coffee suitable for a French press in Aldi. They do a strenght rating of 1-5 and it measured a 3. Will try a coffee shop someday as well. Presume the freshly ground stuff tastes better than packaged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Would something like the twinings linked below work? I know you said 8 cup, but perhaps use four sachets?

I can only find 65g in fine ground, which isn't really suitable for a cafetiere.

http://www.nextdaycoffee.co.uk/coffee/ground-coffee/cafetiere-coffee/twinings-rich-blend-cafetiere-100-sachets-396

Edit: found an eight cup sachet, but it seems a little light
    http://www.pennineteaandcoffee.co.uk/Colombian+8+Cup+Cafetiere+Sachets+(100+x+45g)/0_CAAA068_CAAA069/PRAA298.htm#.VnEO1nOnyv0

Advertisement