Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educational Requirements

• 27-11-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Can someone advise what the specific educational reqs are for application? On public jobs and the garda website it lists 5 subjects passed at leaving cert level but it doesn't specify particulars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

So the 5 subjects would have to be at least D3 at ordinary level to pass, or you can hold a level 5 or greater qualification. You will also need a second language which can be proved by having done a LC language and that you have passed it, otherwise I am pretty sure you have to sit a test with PAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Great thanks for that :) ! Was there not a maths requirement also or has that gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

Great thanks for that :) ! Was there not a maths requirement also or has that gone now?

You need to pass ordinary level maths to pass your leaving cert Im pretty sure, though the recruitment campaign don't specifically ask for maths.

I have pass maths.

But that's an old wives tale about failing the whole LC if you fail it :) You need 5 passes at any level to have considered meeting the leaving cert standard. Which I assume is why they request 5 subjects for AGS, but the maths requirement is gone for some reason! Not for the reserves however from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lctm

Has anyone here done leaving cert applied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

ive pass irish and english is that sufficient as have no other language?

These are the AGS requirements as per the website.

What are the Educational requirements?
    Applicants must have obtained
    (a) an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level*, or
    (b) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
    (c) a recognised qualification (at level 5 or greater), deemed comparable to the above in terms of both level and volume of learning as determined by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI)
    AND

(d) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service;
    *Subjects taken at Foundation Level Leaving Certificate are not considered equivalent for entry to this competition. In certain cases a Pass in the Applied Leaving Certificate may be deemed equivalent to an Ordinary Leaving Certificate. In addition, applicants must also have proven proficiency in two languages as set out in 5(d) above.
    The Public Appointments Service may verify the validity of qualifications other than the Leaving Certificate with Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI). Applicants should not contact QQI directly. Candidates may however refer to www.naric.ie which offers advice on the academic recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Achilies wrote: »
    You need to pass ordinary level maths to pass your leaving cert Im pretty sure, though the recruitment campaign don't specifically ask for maths.

Foundation maths here, had no issues because the rest of my subjects were up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Horza

Just to double check, does having a D grade in ordinary level Irish be regarded as having proven competency in this langauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Horza wrote: »
    Just to double check, does having a D grade in ordinary level Irish be regarded as having proven competency in this langauge?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Foundation maths here, had no issues because the rest of my subjects were up to standard.

Foundation Maths is 100% acceptable as long as you meet the requirements. I know a lad who is in and only has foundation level.

Advertisement