Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord falsely claiming intent to sell

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

iguana wrote: »

The OP already did say they were interested in buying the house and the EA refused to even entertain it. The landlord almost certainly has no interest in selling or else he would have come back to the OP and begun negotiating. It seems pretty clear cut once you actually read the details the OP is posting instead of jumping in with preconceived notions based on your own, not especially relevant experience.

The tone of the op may have dictated the reply for all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

iguana wrote: »
    Of course it matters because if the OP lives in an area where rent prices have not increased then the landlord can't show that rent prices have increased. And in the type of area the OP describes living rent prices have very likely not increased

No it doesn't matter, the rules are th same for all areas. The op is using the house next door as an example of the going rate, the EA will have a wider data base and therefore will be easily able to provide evidence of any similar houses renting for more. Thanks to the lack of joined up thinking on the part of our government, LL's in all areas are now increasing rents before new legislation is enacted so though th largest increases may be in urban areas, that does not mean that increases have not occurred elsewhere. It is again worth pointing out that the op hasn't had an increase in 3 years, do you know a part of the country where rents have remained at 2012 levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The tone of the op may have dictated the reply for all we know.

I'm not sure that iguana grasps the concept that an unoccupied house sells more easily and often for a higher price than an tenent occupied house. I think he is under the impression that the tenent has a right to have a bid accepted. Most LLs would want the tenent out and the house spruced up before viewings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't think I've ever deleted over 20 posts from a single thread before- but I've just done it here. Folks- there is already an on thread warning from one of my co-mods- and 3 people have earned themselves warnings and infractions- there are not going to be further warnings here- keep ontopic- or else........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

davo10 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that iguana grasps the concept that an unoccupied house sells more easily and often for a higher price than an tenent occupied house. I think he is under the impression that the tenent has a right to have a bid accepted. Most LLs would want the tenent out and the house spruced up before viewings.

I bought a tenant occupied house as my ppr so am well aware of the pros and cons of marketing an occupied house. It's off-putting to prospective buyers, unless they are looking for an investment property with a sitting tenant. But in any case where the landlord plans to sell, while the tenant obviously has no right to have their bid accepted, it's farcical to suggest the landlord wouldn't at least allow the tenant to make an offer. Especially in a part of the country where the sales market is stagnant/still falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

davo10 wrote: »
    No it doesn't matter, the rules are th same for all areas. The op is using the house next door as an example of the going rate, the EA will have a wider data base and therefore will be easily able to provide evidence of any similar houses renting for more.

They will if rents have risen in that time, if they haven't then they won't be able to. Which is my point. Despite what may be happening in your area, there are non-urban areas where it's been more than 3 years since rents rose.

Advertisement