Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

An all star cast? I recognize the traveller from love hate and nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark in Game of Thrones) was the first voice heard.

Ian McElhinney is also in it but maybe not the promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Quite a few cast from Love/Hate

Robert Redford a producer too (Sundance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Isn't it Charlie Murphy too?

I don't like the music over it, it's not anything to do with the timeframe and seems totally incongruous.

With or Without You (circa 1987)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Not a great trailer... and whoever put it together must be a fan of Downton Abbey.

There was a much better promo made for the second season of Downton that used the exact same version of that song:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Haha at the all star cast comment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Haha at the all star cast comment!

Some big names in it though. Shows the attention and resource RTE is putting to it.
    I think the U2 theme is to juxtapose the Ireland of 100 years ago and what our forefathers fought and dreams for,and the independent, self confident, and rich of thought and artistic expression, that it is today on the global stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

There was a much better promo made for the second season of Downton that used the exact same version of that song:

By the Scala and Kolacny Bros choir I think. Belgian girls choir who played the Olympia earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Could be wrong but I heard this is the first production of its type to ever be allowed shoot in the GPO.

First Up wrote: »
    By the Scala and Kolacny Bros choir I think. Belgian girls choir who played the Olympia earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

How many Gleesons are in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Radio5 wrote: »
    How many Gleesons are in it!!

It's a OGP (One Gleeson Production).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Is that Steve Wall (of The Stunning) @ 0:34secs?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Big new drama on RTE on Sunday, to commemorate the Easter Rising.
    Looks very stylish in the trailer, maybe too stylish.
    I think I'd have rathered they filmed the drama telling the story of actual participants.
    Instead, they seem to have gone for a fictionalized production, focusing on romantic liaisons of four ladies with the background of the insurrection.
    Like the way Titanic was ruined by the whole DiCaprio/Winslet story.
    Still...hope to be proven wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think I'd have rathered they filmed the drama telling the story of actual participants.
    Instead, they seem to have gone for a fictionalized production, focusing on romantic liaisons of four ladies with the background of the insurrection.

I disagree. We've seen this part of Irish history from the famous name's points of view a hundred times already. Likewise we've seen it from a male point of view as many times. No doubt we'll see it from those points of view a couple times more throughout the year. From what I've seen and heard about this production it's not just a bunch of women falling in love with the rising going on in the background. I've got very high hopes for this, Charlie Murphy is one of the most talented actors we have at the moment and she deserves a chance to shine in a leading role. Hope I'm not disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Threads merged

I disagree. We've seen this part of Irish history from the famous name's points of view a hundred times already. Likewise we've seen it from a male point of view as many times. No doubt we'll see it from those points of view a couple times more throughout the year. From what I've seen and heard about this production it's not just a bunch of women falling in love with the rising going on in the background. I've got very high hopes for this, Charlie Murphy is one of the most talented actors we have at the moment and she deserves a chance to shine in a leading role. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Apart from the movie Micael Collins, which only had about 5 mins of the 1916 rising in it, I can't recall ANY, depictions of the leaders of the rising on film or TV, let alone a hundred of them.
    There was one produced by RTE in 1966, called Insurrection, but it's never been shown since.
    I think that the powers in Montrose don't know how to do a drama featuring historical figures, should they be celebrated as heroes, or looked upon as misguided with the benefit of 100 years hindsight.
    So let's just do a romantic period piece with a backdrop of the rising.

Apart from the movie Micael Collins, which only had about 5 mins of the 1916 rising in it, I can't recall ANY, depictions of the leaders of the rising on film or TV, let alone a hundred of them.
    There was one produced by RTE in 1966, called Insurrection, but it's never been shown since.
    I think that the powers in Montrose don't know how to do a drama featuring historical figures, should they be celebrated as heroes, or looked upon as misguided with the benefit of 100 years hindsight.

Well, off the top of my head TG4 did two brilliant series recently on the leaders of 1916.
    Everything I leaned in school about the Rising was from a male point of view.
    There are numerous other TV programmes coming this year that will focus on the leaders or the men involved. If I'm wrong I'll come back here at the end of the year and eat my hat.

Edit: There's definitely one called The Rising on the way with Liam Neeson's son playing Collins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

I only have SD here but I really want to see this in HD. Is anyone in a position to get a copy of this in HD that I can borrow off them please?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

The storyline of the Wind That Shakes The Barley about brothers fighting together and falling out with eachother draws on real life sets of brothers such as the Hales brothers who fought in the War of Independence and took opposite sides in the civil war.

Similarly this series seems to show how privately educated wealthy and middle class ladies who became suffragettes joined the Daughters of Ireland and brought them in contact through Irish Ireland cultural political groups with men from the IRB, the Irish Volunteers and Citizen Army.

In real life the Ryan sisters, the Gifford sisters and the Kiernan sisters were influential women who married or had relationships with a who's who of rebel men who fought in 1916 the War of Independence Civil War and went on to create the new state.

Then and now who you were related to, friendly with or in love with decided your choice of politics and your loyalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

There was a 3 part series 15 years ago called Rebel Heart. The first episode recreated the 1916 Rising. The hero was a red haired handsome medical student from a wealthy South side Dublin family who fights in the GPO before he becomes one of Collins' agents during the War Of Independence. He is sent to Cork where he helps Liam Lynch and his men fight the Auxies and Tans. He at first takes the Treaty side but when he is ordered to go to war with them he joins the Republicans and is killed. His love interest is a Belfast woman who is a crackshot with a rifle.

And who can forget the episode of Young Indiana Jones where he and his Belgian friend Remy arrive in Ireland on their way to England to enlist in the Belgian Army. They end up in Dublin where Indy gets a job in a pub where he meets Sean O'Casey. He goes to the theatre where he meets William Butler Years who hates O'Casey's realist work. Jones dates Sean Lemass' sister and they get into a fight before becoming friends. Then the Rising breaks out and Lemass takes part while Indy and his sister and Remy are trapped in a pub as the city burns down.

There was a 3 part series 15 years ago called Rebel Heart. The first episode recreated the 1916 Rising. The hero was a red haired handsome medical student from a wealthy South side Dublin family who fights in the GPO before he becomes one of Collins' agents during the War Of Independence. He is sent to Cork where he helps Liam Lynch and his men fight the Auxies and Tans. He at first takes the Treaty side but when he is ordered to go to war with them he joins the Republicans and is killed. His love interest is a Belfast woman who is a crackshot with a rifle.

And who can forget the episode of Young Indiana Jones where he and his Belgian friend Remy arrive in Ireland on their way to England to enlist in the Belgian Army. They end up in Dublin where Indy gets a job in a pub where he meets Sean O'Casey. He goes to the theatre where he meets William Butler Years who hates O'Casey's realist work. Jones dates Sean Lemass' sister and they get into a fight before becoming friends. Then the Rising breaks out and Lemass takes part while Indy and his sister and Remy are trapped in a pub as the city burns down.
    My point was, there hasn't been a hundred different dramas on film or TV focusing on any of the signatories of the proclamation, or portraying the events of Easter week using Pearse, Connolly, Clarke etc as the subject.
    It seems that on the 100th anniversary of this piece of factual history, that we are given a 5 part drama using fictional characters and a big love story.
    The wind that shakes the barley was set during the war of independence. Not Easter week.
    While I saw the Indiana Jones episode, he's hardly an historical figure.
    Like I said in a previous post, I hope they don't ruin what seems to be good production values and unprecedented access to historical buildings, to produce a "Jack & Rose" Titanic story about love between the social classes with a backdrop of the rising.
    Every other western country has dozens of movies/ TV dramas about their historical leaders.
    We've got none.
    Hope we haven't let this chance slip by...

My point was, there hasn't been a hundred different dramas on film or TV focusing on any of the signatories of the proclamation, or portraying the events of Easter week using Pearse, Connolly, Clarke etc as the subject.
    It seems that on the 100th anniversary of this piece of factual history, that we are given a 5 part drama using fictional characters and a big love story.
    The wind that shakes the barley was set during the war of independence. Not Easter week.
    While I saw the Indiana Jones episode, he's hardly an historical figure.
    Like I said in a previous post, I hope they don't ruin what seems to be good production values and unprecedented access to historical buildings, to produce a "Jack & Rose" Titanic story about love between the social classes with a backdrop of the rising.
    Every other western country has dozens of movies/ TV dramas about their historical leaders.
    We've got none.
    Hope we haven't let this chance slip by...

It's the first of many productions we'll see this year. It hasn't even aired yet and you're writing it off. I don't see anything in the trailer suggesting romance will be the main storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Looking forward to this.

One thing that worries me slightly are the recent press releases talking about how it was written by the same guy who wrote Charlie and hoped to build on the 'success' of that. Now I was less than impressed by Charlie and it got fairly mixed reviews in many places at the time too. I think they were hoping Charlie would be snapped up by a few foreign networks and the fact that it hasn't is surely an indictment of what was a fairly expensive production.

It was a good idea of them to bring in a foreign director but I would be far more confident if this was an BBC/RTE production. Hopefully it won't be ruined by any daft love story plotlines either.

Looking forward to this.

One thing that worries me slightly are the recent press releases talking about how it was written by the same guy who wrote Charlie and hoped to build on the 'success' of that. Now I was less than impressed by Charlie and it got fairly mixed reviews in many places at the time too. I think they were hoping Charlie would be snapped up by a few foreign networks and the fact that it hasn't is surely an indictment of what was a fairly expensive production.

It was a good idea of them to bring in a foreign director but I would be far more confident if this was an BBC/RTE production. Hopefully it won't be ruined by any daft love story plotlines either.

My main worry would be the quality of writing too. I've seen plenty of things on RTÉ that have painfully bad writing. That Clean Break thing that was on recently a prime example. Even to just the dialogue in some shows is very poor at times, never mind the plots and story arcs. We shall see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone know how many episodes there are four this?

SteM wrote: »
    Anyone know how many episodes there are four this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/rebellion-what-an-outsider-s-eye-brings-to-rt%C3%A9-s-easter-rising-centrepiece-1.2476448

I cannot get this in Britain so I will have to ask for my mum to record it and I will have a look next time I am over

Is this in HD?

Advertisement