Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Because they're Irish?

Was the first soldiers deployed against the rebels not Irish soldiers (in a british regiment?)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Was the first soldiers deployed against the rebels not Irish soldiers (in a british regiment?)

Yes. That's why they have Irish accents. The ? in my reply was sarcastic.

The characters depicted here are home from WW1 on leave and that's why there's so many of them there and ready to go when called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Is it accurate that British soldiers home on leave from ww1 were summoned to fight against the rebels??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Is it accurate that British soldiers home on leave from ww1 were summoned to fight against the rebels??

Yes.

Part of the reason the rising went ahead was that compared to normal there were fuuck all soldiers stationed in Ireland due to the demands of WWI.

I didn't know Dublin had taxis back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The rebels are coming across as psychopathic murderers who had little sway with the public at large. No wonder they are verbally abused by the public as their shambles ended and they are led away...

That poor unarmed policeman at the start!
    Anyone know who shot him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

weadick wrote: »
    It just came out of nowhere. No sense of anticipation or build up. Nothing from inside the GPO which apparently was pandemonium when the rebels first entered. It just looked a bit lazy and rushed, not much thought went into it. The depiction in Rebel Heart was actually much better.

I clearly remember the Young Indiana Jones involved too. Are you deliberately avoiding the fact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I clearly remember the Young Indiana Jones involved too. Are you deliberately avoiding the fact?

FFS this is the reboot !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

Having watched both episodes to give it a chance I'm hugely dissapointed. I could reel off a list of things I didn't like, but there's no point. All I will say is the director should give his fee back and find another job.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

LordSutch wrote: »
    The rebels are coming across as psychopathic murderers who had little sway with the public at large. No wonder they are verball abused by the pjblic as their shambles ended and they are led away...

That poor unarmed policeman at the start!
    Anyone know who shot him?

I think Liz called him Connolly when she was telling Jimmy he was dead up on the roof. Obviously not James Connolly though. Not sure if he's a real historical figure or a fictional one.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I didn't know Dublin had taxis back then!
    They had en extensive, functional tram system as well

• Advertisement

I think Liz called him Connolly when she was telling Jimmy he was dead up on the roof. Obviously not James Connolly though. Not sure if he's a real historical figure or a fictional one.

Think it was Sean Connolly - historical figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

This explains it.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/first-victim-of-the-rising-1.1402766

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Having watched both episodes to give it a chance I'm hugely dissapointed. I could reel off a list of things I didn't like, but there's no point. All I will say is the director should give his fee back and find another job.

Have to agree...ep02 looks like he just gave up after a good start. I have a feeling a lot of events and dramatic productions of this centenary year, especially the funded ones will be a bit tame. So scared are they of causing offence, it just ends up being bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

What's all this **** about Young Indiana Jones?

The program itself is obviously not overly concerned with fact, forgoing it for the sake of drama. Why then was the storming of the GPO reduced to a 5 second interlude? My guess is because they didn't have the time to accurately portray what happened both inside and outside the building.

Anyway I was only attempting to highlight the woefully bland nature of the episode. The writer plainly should have stuck to writing plays.

They had en extensive, functional tram system as well

With plans for a Dublin underground system too, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Its good !

Kinda surprised, but it is telling the story well. Interweaving the personal elements, life of the residents of the city, and the rebel actions themselves, the establishment, and the class structure and social revolutionary strands of the era.

Yes, a little but too much soap, and coincidences, but thats to be expected in a fiction. The rising leaders are just touched on which works well and is delicately and neutrally handled, avoiding going all out for their vilification.

The various elements and views on the events are well presented. Still shocking at this remove, to realise how such a small handful of rag taggle terrorists could light the spark that took us down the road to semi-independence. It justs hits a nice note of nostalgia and regret of how on such small things can big things hinge, and that we could yet today be part of the UK. Alas.

If its from the writer of Charlie, you would never guess. Far superior than that.

For any serious students of the times : what was the prevailing mood immediately after the quelling of it and before the executions : an 'incident' that thankfully was sorted out, we have dodged a bullet and will remain safely part of the union ? Or that, this is still a seriously live risk and is not over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Michael Collins tied up a policeman and locked him in a telephone box.

There would have been confrontation with staff in the GPO as well as throwing out the people that were already in there.

Few onlookers would have grasped what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It seems odd how the volunteers were depicted walking around the streets in their uniforms with rifles and ammunition and no one paid any attention to them. I guess people were used to them in their uniforms for their marches but when they had rifles, you'd have thought word would ahve spread that something was going on.

I'm completely confused about the George storyline.
    Is he sympathetic towards the rebels?
    And why did his fiancée go to where Elizabeth was helping the injured???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Tis no Indiana Jones :P

Seriously though, after the promising first episode this was a shambles. The love triangle scenes were far too drawn out, doubt many people are watching for the soap opera aspect of it all.
    The roof scenes and scuffles around the castle were done well, especially the reaction of when the cop was shot - it's exactly how the young lads would have been.
    But the looting, taking of the GPO and other scenes were extremely amateurish. They did absolutely nothing to O'Connell Street / GPO apart from stick that feckin Oldhausen tram outside. In reality the street would have been filled with crowds, dirty with horseshít etc and all the pans of glass would have been smashed by the rebels. Instead, every shot showed a pristine GPO. And again, double yellow lines, modern street signs and cables all over the place. Where were all the extras for the looting?! And were tenement dwellers really that clean?!

Doubting the rest of the series will be any good now. I don't want to hear "oh well what do you expect, it's an Irish production" - so what? Anyone could spot some of the flaws listed above. Some of the actors are putting alot of effort in, but they're let down by the lazy directing and production. Comes across as a rushed job. A real shame considering many of us had hoped for a showpiece series that could be shown abroad.

• Advertisement

Its good !

Kinda surprised, but it is telling the story well. Interweaving the personal elements, life of the residents of the city, and the rebel actions themselves, the establishment, and the class structure and social revolutionary strands of the era.

Yes, a little but too much soap, and coincidences, but thats to be expected in a fiction. The rising leaders are just touched on which works well and is delicately and neutrally handled, avoiding going all out for their vilification.

The various elements and views on the events are well presented. Still shocking at this remove, to realise how such a small handful of rag taggle terrorists could light the spark that took us down the road to semi-independence. It justs hits a nice note of nostalgia and regret of how on such small things can big things hinge, and that we could yet today be part of the UK. Alas.

If its from the writer of Charlie, you would never guess. Far superior than that.

For any serious students of the times : what was the prevailing mood immediately after the quelling of it and before the executions : an 'incident' that thankfully was sorted out, we have dodged a bullet and will remain safely part of the union ? Or that, this is still a seriously live risk and is not over ?

Terrorists? Are you for real or what?

crushproof wrote: »
    Tis no Indiana Jones :P

Seriously though, after the promising first episode this was a shambles. The love triangle scenes were far too drawn out, doubt many people are watching for the soap opera aspect of it all.
    The roof scenes and scuffles around the castle were done well, especially the reaction of when the cop was shot - it's exactly how the young lads would have been.
    But the looting, taking of the GPO and other scenes were extremely amateurish. They did absolutely nothing to O'Connell Street / GPO apart from stick that feckin Oldhausen tram outside. In reality the street would have been filled with crowds, dirty with horseshít etc and all the pans of glass would have been smashed by the rebels. Instead, every shot showed a pristine GPO. And again, double yellow lines, modern street signs and cables all over the place. Where were all the extras for the looting?! And were tenement dwellers really that clean?!

Doubting the rest of the series will be any good now. I don't want to hear "oh well what do you expect, it's an Irish production" - so what? Anyone could spot some of the flaws listed above. Some of the actors are putting alot of effort in, but they're let down by the lazy directing and production. Comes across as a rushed job. A real shame considering many of us had hoped for a showpiece series that could be shown abroad.

They didn't have the budget to build a recreation of O'Connell Street for obvious reasons.
    Modern day O'Connell Street obviously couldn't be used either.
    The reason the GPO looks pristine is because it had just been renovated when it was taken by the rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

What's all this **** about Young Indiana Jones?

The program itself is obviously not overly concerned with fact, forgoing it for the sake of drama. Why then was the storming of the GPO reduced to a 5 second interlude? My guess is because they didn't have the time to accurately portray what happened both inside and outside the building.

Anyway I was only attempting to highlight the woefully bland nature of the episode. The writer plainly should have stuck to writing plays.

Obviously not!. No young Indy nor Remy!

Anyhow try to enjoy the remaining episodes. The factual shortcomings are annoying, almost as annoying as the over-reliance of the one Olhausen tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

They didn't have the budget to build a recreation of O'Connell Street for obvious reasons.
    Modern day O'Connell Street obviously couldn't be used either.
    The reason the GPO looks pristine is because it had just been renovated when it was taken by the rebels.
    But come on, you must admit that not even attempting to cover the modern O'Connell was a bit cheap. If they did any sort of research they would have known that the rebels smashed every window in the GPO straightaway to avoid injury from shattering glass.
    Obviously not!. No young Indy nor Remy!

Anyhow try to enjoy the remaining episodes. The factual shortcomings are annoying, almost as annoying as the over-reliance of the one Olhausen tram.

I think you're right Birdie, may as well just attempt to enjoy the rest of series and have a wee chuckle at the simple mistakes. Hope they overturn and burn that darn tram at the end though!

siblers wrote: »
    It seems odd how the volunteers were depicted walking around the streets in their uniforms with rifles and ammunition and no one paid any attention to them. I guess people were used to them in their uniforms for their marches but when they had rifles, you'd have thought word would ahve spread that something was going on.

The Citizen Army and Irish Volunteers were openly parading with uniforms and rifles for months before the Rising.The British Army and DMP did nothing because it was the policy to avoid a firefight in the city. The Dublin Castle authorities were planning mass arrests and round ups.

Surely that's how they would been seen as at the time!

You can even see the hostile attitude from Dubliners towards the rebels in the drama. The actions of the rebels is fairly ruthless and not in tune with Irish society.

It was only after the drip drip feed of their executions that they became heroes, several years later.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

One man's freedom fighter, etc...

Yes. That's why they have Irish accents. The ? in my reply was sarcastic.

The characters depicted here are home from WW1 on leave and that's why there's so many of them there and ready to go when called.

The majority of British troops in Ireland were Irish. Not just men home on leave but men permanently based here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Surely that's how they would been seen as at the time!

You can even see the hostile attitude from Dubliners towards the rebels in the drama. The actions of the rebels is fairly ruthless and not in tune with Irish society.

It was only after the drip drip feed of their executions that they became heroes, several years later.
    The mood started to turn in days, largely because of the executions. When the detainees were released from Frongoch (in Wales) a year later they were welcomed back in Dublin as heroes.

One of the great what-ifs of Irish history is how things might have played out if the rebel leaders had not been executed in such a summary fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pretty sure it wasn't a drip feed of executions it was a relative quick blood letting soon after the rising as well not years later??

It was the fact that maxwell had a channel capable of taking 60+ bodies for execution that turned the opinion and orders had to come from London for him to stop the executions ...much to late then :pac:

Advertisement