Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Given that the main characters are all fictional it's entirely possible for there to be spoilers. Someone posted what was going to happen to some of them without spoiler tags last week. That's why it's in the thread title.

An incorrect spoiler if I remember correctly!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

An incorrect spoiler if I remember correctly!

Yes. I think they were only speculating but didn't specify that. Still, as I said, perfectly possible for there to be spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I remember reading about Francis Skeffington years ago, really interesting guy. He was fecking furious when Redmond supported WW1 on behave of the Home Rule party..
    Also a big supporter for Suffragist movement

anyway, tonights episode was okay
    I really really REEAAALLLYYY don't get he point of the affair love story

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I remember reading about Francis Skeffington years ago, really interesting guy. He was fecking furious when Redmond supported WW1 on behave of the Home Rule party..

I think, like the feckless brother and the guy from Belfast, it's supposed to show that for some people life was just going on as normal. They had more important things to worry about than half the city being blown up.

I guess it was supposed to show that yer man did care for May a little when he sent her to his house to be safe but Francis seems to be moving about the city as she pleases, as was Elizabeth, so May could probably have gone back to her own house without much hassle. If not on the first day definitely by the 3rd day.

Me either. Also, the George / ingrid storyline seems pointless to me. Really don't get it.

• Advertisement

Me either. Also, the George / ingrid storyline seems pointless to me. Really don't get it.

It feels a bit like George/Ingrid are there to emphasise the fact that Ireland was all 32 counties at the time. They do feel a bit shoehorned in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ingrid seems to be liberated from her boring, safe life by becoming a nurse in the rising. She significantly grows in confidence and seems to feel that she can have a life outside of conventional paths.

I think, like the feckless brother and the guy from Belfast, it's supposed to show that for some people life was just going on as normal. They had more important things to worry about than half the city being blown up.

I guess it was supposed to show that yer man did care for May a little when he sent her to his house to be safe but Francis seems to be moving about the city as she pleases, as was Elizabeth, so May could probably have gone back to her own house without much hassle. If not on the first day definitely by the 3rd day.

May bring sent outside the city is because she is more precious as she is carrying his child.
    I hated may bring an utter biitch to Hammond's wife though.

Lisha wrote: »
    May bring sent outside the city is because she is more precious as she is carrying his child.
    I hated may bring an utter biitch to Hammond's wife though.

Same. I get the wife was trying to make her feel small and worthless but way harsh, May!

Same. I get the wife was trying to make her feel small and worthless but way harsh, May!

Sista's before Mista's after all :)

• Advertisement

Yes. I think they were only speculating but didn't specify that. Still, as I said, perfectly possible for there to be spoilers.

Will May turn over time though assuming this gets a second season? Will she evolve into a Frances/Elizabeth style fenian? Perhaps Francis could become disillusioned and walk away from the whole thing. Hard to envisage at the moment but its not beyond possible they might go for this angle.

Also, i wonder will Hammond be one of the Brits who switches over to the other side similar to Robert Barton or another man who became a minder for Collins and was in the car in Beal na Blath known as Emmett Dalton?
    cant remember if it has happened or will happen but is he going to be unceremoniously sacked from MI5?

Will May turn over time though assuming this gets a second season? Will she evolve into a Frances/Elizabeth style fenian? Perhaps Francis could become disillusioned and walk away from the whole thing. Hard to envisage at the moment but its not beyond possible they might go for this angle.

I thought that's where they were going with Frances but then the ad for next week's episode seems to show her becoming even more radicalised, if that's the right word. She may become disillusioned with the leaders and any talk of negotiating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Beechfiled wrote: »
    Finding this a bit crap, can anyone recommend a decent book on the events. Of 1916. I need to brush up on my Irish history.
    Charles Townshend's books are very good. If you haven't read Sean O'Casey's The Plough and The Stars, definitely read that as an introduction to the period. O'Casey as a playwright is a brilliant social commentator. I'd also recommend Michael Laffan's Irish Revolution podcasts from The History Hub. The podcasts cover the period from 1910 - 1923, so would be beneficial for background and context to the Rising.

Much stronger episode tonight. I especially liked Art's storyline and I also liked seeing more of the main characters interact with each other. It's picked up from last week, and I enjoyed tonight's episode, but overall, the series is falling short of my expectations :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

One complaint. Very little fighting going on. The movie A Bridge Too Far is essentially a massive firefight between the Allies against the Germans and that was only over one bridge. The 1916 battles took place across the city and beyond. Artillery fire was blasting at the Volunteers. Snipers were shooting down British officers. Lets see more fighting.

I thought that's where they were going with Frances but then the ad for next week's episode seems to show her becoming even more radicalised, if that's the right word. She may become disillusioned with the leaders and any talk of negotiating.

I thought Frances said tonight that she how the war could be won. When she said, I assumed she was talking about guerrilla warfare and ambushing British troops.

There was a moment there tonight where Pearse's nose looked out of joint with the fact that Connolly promoted Frances.

The guy who played the Archbishop, Barry Mcgovern played Dev incidentally in the Treaty.

I thought Frances said tonight that she how the war could be won. When she said, I assumed she was talking about guerrilla warfare and ambushing British troops.

Maybe it was in tonight's episode, I thought it was in the ad for next week. Either way up until that point I thought Frances was having her doubts but that made it seem like she was planning to get more involved.

Very true and to echo Michael Collins she said that 'She would be much more use to the cause alive rather than dead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Ireland as the harlot getting ridin by England getting knocked up but giving birth to a child of freedom? The blonde wife represents Empire - cold and barren?

Maybe it was in tonight's episode, I thought it was in the ad for next week. Either way up until that point I thought Frances was having her doubts but that made it seem like she was planning to get more involved.

You could be right.ight have been the ad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Very good, very good.
    Best episode yet, and telling the story very well.

The soap opera in Dalkey the only superfluous bit, but I am even willing to give that a pass for the moment in the hope that it does become relevant. Similar for Eliza's brother (if ever there was one hallmark of the bad egg, its that mustache he sports - dastardly is the word).

The guy who played the Archbishop, Barry Mcgovern played Dev incidentally in the Treaty.

A very fine actor. Was good in tonight's episode and was excellent as Dev.

Was the portrayal of the church removing their possessions accurate? Thought that was interesting

I'm still putting the house on Arthur being shot with the pistol that he himself stole from the Turkish soldier, which is now in the hands of the rebels.

Poker-going-all-in.jpg

I thought Arthur might go with the Rebels the way he was acting at times tonight but the fact his son died might suggest it could strengthen his resolve. The acceptance of his son into the GPO subsequently contributed to Peters death.

Ireland as the harlot getting ridin by England getting knocked up but giving birth to a child of freedom? The blonde wife represents Empire - cold and barren?

Wow. :eek:

Very good, very good.
    Best episode yet, and telling the story very well.

The soap opera in Dalkey the only superfluous bit, but I am even willing to give that a pass for the moment in the hope that it does become relevant. Similar for Eliza's brother (if ever there was one hallmark of the bad egg, its that mustache he sports - dastardly is the word).

In the ad for next week, we see the brother interacting with Minnie so maybe it'll be a little clearer what the point of him is then!

Was the portrayal of the church removing their possessions accurate? Thought that was interesting

I laughed at the church thing too. Probably spot on. "Our duty is to the church" sounds about right.
    I thought Arthur might go with the Rebels the way he was acting at times tonight but the fact his son died might suggest it could strengthen his resolve. The acceptance of his son into the GPO subsequently contributed to Peters death.

Interesting to see if he blames the British for actually shooting him or Jimmy and the rebels for getting him involved in the first place. Really dumb of them to send him out in a uniform.

The church drifted in and out of the war as they pleased. Similar to Dev their ultimate goal was power but they set others up to do the donkey work and hung them out to dry.

Although Im getting the hint that the priest in this series has a bit of a rebel streak though given the way he covered for Jimmy at the GPO and denied knowledge of Elizabeth's whereabouts to Stephen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It feels a bit like George/Ingrid are there to emphasise the fact that Ireland was all 32 counties at the time. They do feel a bit shoehorned in though.

That point stood out more for me when the Private Aidan Gillen Lookalike was speaking to a fellow soldier with a northern accent and referred to 'us' or 'Irish' or something. Interesting to feel how they all saw themselves as one Irish rather than the 6 counties as foreign as we do today ( not exotic foreign, but still, as foreign as an Englishman, Frenchman or Spaniard.).

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

I can't understand why RTE don't show The Treaty or Insurrection again or release them on dvd. I'd rather watch either of them than this tbh, although tonights episode wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement

weadick wrote: »
    I can't understand why RTE don't show The Treaty or Insurrection again or release them on dvd. I'd rather watch either of them than this tbh, although tonights episode wasn't too bad.

Or Strumpet City also which dealt with the lockout and was an international hit

Advertisement