Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Although Im getting the hint that the priest in this series has a bit of a rebel streak though given the way he covered for Jimmy at the GPO and denied knowledge of Elizabeth's whereabouts to Stephen.

Had he seen Elizabeth at that point though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

weadick wrote: »
    I can't understand why RTE don't show The Treaty or Insurrection again or release them on dvd. I'd rather watch either of them than this tbh, although tonights episode wasn't too bad.

Have never seen insurrection. But had treaty on vhs and seen it many times - excellent film! However, we are in the centenary year for 1916, not the centenary year for the treaty! So I understand why we are getting a 1916 drama!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Gotta love that Connolly. The Scottish accent coming through was great. Such a legend.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

vicwatson wrote: »
    This story could have been told in two episodes imo

Ders no pleasin' yus. Others is sayin' ders too much lef' ou'.
    One was comaining the 1913 lockout wasen in i'.

Had he seen Elizabeth at that point though?

No but he did look more unwilling then knowledgeable.

• Advertisement

No but he did look more unwilling then knowledgeable.

Yeah, like he was saying in his head "and I wouldn't tell you even if I had!"

I think the character of Frances was written more to appease the modern day feminists than it was to accurately portray the events of the rebellion.

Nearly 100 women were arrested for their parts in the Rising. There were women in every building the rebels held bar Dev's because he was a prick. The character of Frances was written to accurately reflect the role played by women in the Rising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Ireland as the harlot getting ridin by England getting knocked up but giving birth to a child of freedom? The blonde wife represents Empire - cold and barren?

Or, like any other woman regardless of background, would be dreaming up ideas on how to crucify the hariot who stolen her man.

Would be a bit odd now if she was all air kisses and "dharling" now wouldn't it? Especially when she knows that another woman can give the fella something she can't. hmmm?

Nearly 100 women were arrested for their parts in the Rising. There were women in every building the rebels held bar Dev's because he was a prick. The character of Frances was written to accurately reflect the role played by women in the Rising.

Ha ha brilliant the mod (who is absolutely correct) calls Dev a prick :D

Your dead right though. He was a power hungry egotistical wimp of a man and his character traits have lived right through all of our modern day politicians like a prophecy. He was a spoofer who lived in an ivory tower. That man instigated a civil war against his own people and against their democratic will and still somehow in this banana republic he had a long fruitful political career. He is certainly no hero of mine and never will be

I laughed at the church thing too. Probably spot on. "Our duty is to the church" sounds about right.

I was waiting for the follow on "...God will look after the people".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I watched again! Though was even more disappointed by this. For a character led drama it's failing badly. I can honestly say there isn't one character story I have warmed to or been engaged with. Even the child (who it was obvious was going to be an innocent tragedy) It was too obvious the poor kid was going to come a cropper.

The loose historical references are becoming lost on me as well - I didn't even cop Collins!

Odd sound;
    Quiet enough streets when Francis was dodging bullets left right and centre (god she must have been knackered) cut to the pub with Burlington Bertie sipping his whiskey and eating his slice of ham and it sounds like Armageddon outside on the soundtrack?

Also some dodgy cuts Francis and Jimmy running under a bridge pass a rather large wooden door, we hear a dull knock, a second later they are at a terraced house?

A lot of poor editing throughout this episode but overall the poorest thing is the script!

I thought Frances said tonight that she how the war could be won. When she said, I assumed she was talking about guerrilla warfare and ambushing British troops.

Ah, they had a reference like that in Rebel Heart too. One of the soldiers, who would, in the show, play a vital role in Collins' team in the future (a ICA man in 1916) talked about how they should be up in the mountains like the Boers and using guerrilla tactics.

When TG4 did their series on the men, it highlighted what a complete nick wit guys like Joseph Mary Plunkett was. He was the main military organiser. The series shows him playing with toy soldiers and fixing maneuvers like a General.

What is shocking is that they failed to properly attain the military know how in guys like Major MacBride, who actually say action during the Boer War and even Connolly who himself was a solider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭screamer

Still think this would have been a better 3 parter. There's a load of nothing going on at times.......

I'm not a Mod in this forum.

Pretzill wrote: »
    I watched again! Though was even more disappointed by this. For a character led drama it's failing badly. I can honestly say there isn't one character story I have warmed to or been engaged with. Even the child (who it was obvious was going to be an innocent tragedy) It was too obvious the poor kid was going to come a cropper.

The loose historical references are becoming lost on me as well - I didn't even cop Collins!

Odd sound;
    Quiet enough streets when Francis was dodging bullets left right and centre (god she must have been knackered) cut to the pub with Burlington Bertie sipping his whiskey and eating his slice of ham and it sounds like Armageddon outside on the soundtrack?

Also some dodgy cuts Francis and Jimmy running under a bridge pass a rather large wooden door, we hear a dull knock, a second later they are at a terraced house?

A lot of poor editing throughout this episode but overall the poorest thing is the script!

Why would you "cop Collins".? He played a minor role, an assistant to Plunkett. He did nothing extraordinary during this war, than say, Cathal Brugha (who I imagine some might ask) or even William Cograve down at the Four Courts.

However, there is one prominent man in uniform, the guy who sent the kid out, I am beginning to suspect that he might be Collins. Which guy are you referring to?

Ye, the atmosphere and sounding is surprisingly poor, for the amount of money spent .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,064 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is next week the finale?

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Why would you "cop Collins".? He played a minor role, an assistant to Plunkett. He did nothing extraordinary during this war, than say, Cathal Brugha (who I imagine some might ask) or even William Cograve down at the Four Courts.

However, there is one prominent man in uniform, the guy who sent the kid out, I am beginning to suspect that he might be Collins. Which guy are you referring to?

Ye, the atmosphere and sounding is surprisingly poor, for the amount of money spent .

Nope, think Collins was in the room with Jimmy near the start? The fella that sent the kid out had a Dublin accent.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is next week the finale?

No, there's 5 episodes. I imagine next week will see the rebellion quashed and the last episode will deal with the aftermath.

Cathal Brugha (who I imagine some might ask).

Whose main claim to fame in his lifetime was that he was named after a street.
    Apart from that, no one knows anything about him.

I'm not a Mod in this forum.

Ah thats ok so :D

• Advertisement

Which came first, the Cathal Brugha or the egg?

He was an opponent of Collins throughout. Gerard McSorley (Todd unctious) played him in Michael Collins and it portrayed him as an petty embittered man who was jealous of Collins charisma and popularity while being firmly a crony and yes man of Dev

Your dead right though. He was a power hungry egotistical wimp of a man and his character traits have lived right through all of our modern day politicians like a prophecy. He was a spoofer who lived in an ivory tower. That man instigated a civil war against his own people and against their democratic will and still somehow in this banana republic he had a long fruitful political career. He is certainly no hero of mine and never will be

De Valera "instigated" Civil War? Who is the spoofer again?

You can be rest assured that when get around to reading statements and other works on Liam Lynch , who initially opposed violence against fellow Irish men, Tom Barry, Cathal Brugha and actually the MAJORITY of the remaining IRA/IRB leaders outside of Dublin (many of who didn't shoot in anger, ever!) you will find that they didn't spend a lot of time wondering what Dev thought. Drop the Michael Collins film and walk away.

What democratic will? There was an election, which pretty much more or less determined what side people voted when they selected a candidate, but like modern day, sharp political practices were reached. The Dev - Collins pact was scrapped at the instigation of Downing Street and the copy of the Free State Constitution was only published on the day of the elections. Naturally people were war weary after almost 10 years of war and talk of war since 1914. Yes there was an election which pretty much did make it indicate how people voted, but there was no direct referendum or plebiscite to the Treaty or Free State Constitution (which if one takes out the nasty items of British subjugation was a pretty damn good secular document in the area of human rights).

People seemed happy enough, as you know, to freely vote in their droves in 1926 and put Dev into power in the 1930's where he remained almost right up to the day he came President, despite the economic problems which De Valera, government and civil service had no idea on how to tackle. Imagine, the people returned an old and blind Dev instead of a younger and more dynamic O'Higgins. Wow!

I suppose you aren't one bit convinced about his non military courage (there was none) so no point arguing with you about the significance of him not being bullied by the British over the economic war or World War 2.

I suppose your family were brave and all and were out in either 1916, WW1 or both? Wouldn't be going round questioning a maths teacher's bravery when being one of few who actually went out to war . Of course, his record during 1916 as a Commandant was really bad, how he got away with bigging it up during elections etc later on is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Very good, very good.
    Best episode yet, and telling the story very well.

The soap opera in Dalkey the only superfluous bit, but I am even willing to give that a pass for the moment in the hope that it does become relevant. Similar for Eliza's brother (if ever there was one hallmark of the bad egg, its that mustache he sports - dastardly is the word).

Yes, really enjoyed it too.

Some of the battle scenes and shoot outs were quite scary. You get a real sense of how Dublin had descended into chaos, constant gunfire in the background of every scene and everyone fearful and jumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Why would you "cop Collins".?

Because I was checking the credits trying to figure out who the actor was playing the monsignor - and saw Micheal Collins role credited very near the top. Like 5th of 6th - that's why.

He was an opponent of Collins throughout. Gerard McSorley (Todd unctious) played him in Michael Collins and it portrayed him as an petty embittered man who was jealous of Collins charisma and popularity while being firmly a crony and yes man of Dev

Brugha was a bit of a nutter But a yes man to De Valera he certainly was not. De Valera famously stated to Arthur Griffith when they were discussing terms of the Treaty negotiations that he was not a die in the wool Republican unlike Brugha.

Might be best people actually study people like Brugha before making claims about whether they were yes men or not.

There appears to be a gross lack of understanding that the period of 1916-1922 consisted of many complex characters and not just the fight between the egos of Collins and De Valera that the media and historians have been peddling down the throats of people for decades.

Alas the chap who referred to not knowing who Brugha was, is correct, like you, in summarizing that he would not have been one did much during the Tan War compared to 1916 or even the Civil War when he actually did . something.Brugha like Collins escaped jail and more or less stayed in his candle making shop for much of the Tan War

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The church drifted in and out of the war as they pleased. Similar to Dev their ultimate goal was power but they set others up to do the donkey work and hung them out to dry.

Although Im getting the hint that the priest in this series has a bit of a rebel streak though given the way he covered for Jimmy at the GPO and denied knowledge of Elizabeth's whereabouts to Stephen.

He's definitely somewhat sympathetic to what the rebels are doing, unlike the Archbishop who is strictly pro-Government (the latter is of the opinion that a Home Rule Ireland will install the Catholic Church into a favourable and powerful position).

Strazdas wrote: »
    He's definitely somewhat sympathetic to what the rebels are doing, unlike the Archbishop who is strictly pro-Government (the latter is of the opinion that a Home Rule Ireland will install the Catholic Church into a favourable and powerful position).

What a crazy notion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Nope, think Collins was in the room with Jimmy near the start? The fella that sent the kid out had a Dublin accent.
    Wasn't he assisting in sending a telegraph? That might make sense, because Collins had worked in a post office in London. An excuse to shoehorn him in.

• Advertisement

Wasn't he assisting in sending a telegraph? That might make sense, because Collins had worked in a post office in London. An excuse to shoehorn him in.

Yeah. He was an adjutant during the Rising so communications probably would have been part of his remit.

Advertisement