Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not a mistake per-say, but of the three main characters, only one seems to be a big player in the events of that week, and that's pushing it. of the other two, one is only in the periphery and the other has no involvement alltogether so it feels like the writers are pulling hens teeth trying to come up with ways to make them relevant.

Though there appears to be five main characters in fact going by the promo posters for the show : the three girls plus Arthur (the Irish soldier in the British Army) and his brother Jimmy.

I suspect one of the main reasons for the more soapy elements is that they have one eye on the international market, this drama was never made for an Irish audience only (they may also be trying to pull more female viewers in : a political / military conflict type drama series may have been seen as a bit too "male" in outlook).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I imagine in the next series Frances will be the only female member of the 12 Apostles and in the Civil War episodes she will be the sniper who kills Collins at Beal na Blath.

Like I said before the character is more to do with playing to the modern day feminists and being populist than it has to do with reality. And the dialog is absolutely cringeworthy. Like last week, one of the men was about to leave the post cos they were being overrun. But not Frances. "I'm here to fight and die for Ireland" says she. So you see children, not only are the girls JUST as good as the boys, they are even braver.

In the days of female quotas and stupid boy/clever girl advertising, it is certainly a popular decision to write in a female hero (or heroine), but it's not based in reality.

Eliza's mother is a decent oul soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭lukin

What's with all the smoking in this series? It's like one long advert for Benson & Hedges.

You'd have to feel sorry for Vanessa. May deserves a slap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

lukin wrote: »
    What's with all the smoking in this series? It's like one long advert for Benson & Hedges.

G'wan wit' yer posh Benson an' hedges! When I was in de Gee Pee oh, we were lucky to have the price of half a woodbine..............

You'd have to feel sorry for Vanessa. May deserves a slap

I'm not even sure what the writers want us to feel for May. I think most of the characters could have done with a bit more developing. The show has been very drawn out and even still I find myself struggling to remember the back story of each character.

Well, 'the Irish people' is a bit all encompassing. What about those who were perfextly happy being part of the richest and most powerful nation on earth, even if some dreamed of running their own little thing. Poor road chosen I always feel, and even today would feel that rejoining the Union would be a great step. Consign the Republic eperiment as a sort of prodigal son mistake.
    I am sure many felt the same 100 years ago, but got carried away by the secessionist rhetoric. And lived to regret it.

Yes because the Union worked so well when 2m died in the famine and another 2m had to leave the country didnt it?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Civil Joe

I'm not even sure what the writers want us to feel for May. I think most of the characters could have done with a bit more developing. The show has been very drawn out and even still I find myself struggling to remember the back story of each character.

It's an utterly ****e storyline in an utterly ****e series. It's been a waste of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

How long before Vanessa and/or Charles offer to take May's baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

A few smoke bombs to spare them the expense of a burning GPO artillery explosions rifle and machine gun fire and the heroic escape to Moore Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

its turning into one big bore fest

I wasnt expecting that !!!

Tobacconist, President of the Irish Republic, and owner of a Prince Albert.

Civil Joe wrote: »
    It's an utterly ****e storyline in an utterly ****e series. It's been a waste of taxpayers money.

It hasn't been that bad now. Drama is all subjective and its not going to please everyone. Id prefer they at least lost money through creative writing then the silly wages they are paying to useless presenters.

Id agree its not perfect but they have at least tried their up-most and some scenes have been quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

That conniving bastardized whoore master, setting up poor Minnie like that

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

The sound is running ahead of the picture here on my telly....
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

The sound is running ahead of the picture here on my telly....
    Anyone else?

This two tone guy from Love/Hate, I just cant take him seriously.

Steve Wall ya pr###.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

They are playing it safe with Collins??.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Can't take that Detective real garda fella seriously from love /hate

They are playing it safe with Collins??.

I think it's meant to be ironic, that he is considered such a small player, a nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

The scene with Thomas Clarke stripped naked and refusing to bow down brought me to tears.

The two brothers fighting then embracing and crying was wonderful.

Yeah that was definitely an "in-joke" regarding Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

This is quickly becoming unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

This is better than episode 2 (didn't watch last week).

Pass me that pistol when you're finished with it.

I'm getting really fed up of seeing that expression on Charlie Murphy's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I'm really not enjoying this :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Kind of pointless ending when they show a spoiler for next week.

Advertisement