Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

lukin wrote: »
    I'm getting really fed up of seeing that expression on Charlie Murphy's face.

she is not as bad in this i think

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

I think it's meant to be ironic, that he is considered such a small player, a nobody.

This actually happened. Collins and other republicans watched as the G men of the DMP picked out the rebel leaders. The officer who humiliated Clarke was shot on his orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Ok...so the pace picked up a bit in ep 3 and 4 and there were some glimmers of success
    I quite liked the final scene that had the reciting of prayers over the montage of the characters but I still think the direction is off. I wonder if that's because the director isn't Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

The clowns that wrote quoted Pearse's last letter to his mother in it he never mentioned the Kaiser, is this some justification to let the brits off with the slaughter.

Im assuming Jimmy was shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

Can someone please help me. I see Niamh Cusack listed for 5 episodes as Nellie Cosgrave and I have absolutely no recollection of seeing her in the series at all. What character was she?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

The clowns that wrote quoted Pearse's last letter to his mother in it he never mentioned the Kaiser, is this some justification to let the brits off with the slaughter.

I think it was John Redmond who made a link (I don't think it was intentional) between the leaders of the rising and the Kaiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

This actually happened. Collins and other republicans watched as the G men of the DMP picked out the rebel leaders. The officer who humiliated Clarke was shot on his orders.

I understand that but it is certain that the writers were making a point as he was the only "nobody" who was namechecked.

Miose wrote: »
    Can someone please help me. I see Niamh Cusack listed for 5 episodes as Nellie Cosgrave and I have absolutely no recollection of seeing her in the series at all. What character was she?

She owned the house where Frances and May are boarding. I think she may be Frances aunt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'd love to hear the reasoning for including that line.

• Advertisement

Pass me that pistol when you're finished with it.

That's a revolver not a pistol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

With each episode it just gets worse and worse.

johnruns wrote: »
    With each episode it just gets worse and worse.

And yet you've watched all of them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

No likeable characters. The Rebels and British army are both given negative portrayals. The Rebels use chid soldiers and support civil unrest while the Brits strip naked and torture prisoners as well as being a bunch of misogynists.

No clear sense of yeah the rebels where fighting to secure a freedom from occupation. It's no admiration of General Washington. If they did a show about the American Revolution it would depict him as a handsome great person.

I'd like to see more of the Nationalist leaders and less of the occupation landscape we are getting. This is Ireland 1916 the place was run by a military over lordship. No sense of military rule is showing. The city was in ruins.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

She owned the house where Frances and May are boarding. I think she may be Frances aunt

Thanks, that was about the only character I thought she could be. Hardly a pivotal role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

And yet you've watched all of them? :confused:

yep tv on sunday ngts is just that crap:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I have to wonder if so many of you think so little of it why are you still watching it three episodes in? Just so you have something to whinge about?

Or did you only tune in for this one episode without having seen the first two, just so you could have something to whinge about?

Very strange comment to make. People are expressing criticism about the programme. The least they should do is watch it in its and form a full evaluation of the complete work. Not everyone is Ruth Dudley Edwards who went off on a tirade about a film that she admitted that she had not watched when making her comments (Wind The Shakes The Barely)

Who knows, it might have or could improve

One thing is for sure, thread like this or any other tv related thread wouldn't exist. Sorry to reign on the parades of the fools who publicly threw platitudes of praise at the start. Considering the film was specially commissioned to cover an important period of Irish life and spent a lot of tax payers money on it, don't expect people to stay silent.

Considering your position on this site, surely you know that at least 60% of the site's content is about people having something to whine about

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    No likeable characters. The Rebels and British army are both given negative portrayals. The Rebels use chid soldiers and support civil unrest while the Brits strip naked and torture prisoners as well as being a bunch of misogynists.

No clear sense of yeah the rebels where fighting to secure a freedom from occupation. It's no admiration of General Washington. If they did a show about the American Revolution it would depict him as a handsome great person.

I'd like to see more of the Nationalist leaders and less of the occupation landscape we are getting. This is Ireland 1916 the place was run by a military over lordship. No sense of military rule is showing. The city was in ruins.

the writers are trying to show it in a neutral light. They are trying to avoid romanticising the whole thing and making it lop sided.

Yeh. Drama focusing on women. Whats the world coming to. Drama of all sorts has gone down the tubes over the last 400 years. Letting women on the stage at all was the start of it I tells ya.

If they are going to do a drama on women the least they could do is actually portray them well.

The women on this show are pointless. In fact, they made out to be idiots, which was not the intentions of the writers .

As for "drama", where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

the writers are trying to show it in a neutral light. They are trying to avoid romanticising the whole thing and making it lop sided.

Its like Eastenders or coronation st. With guns.

• Advertisement

I think it was John Redmond who made a link (I don't think it was intentional) between the leaders of the rising and the Kaiser.

John Devoy, the Fenian leader in America was in contact with the Germans to purchase arms and British intercepted his secret communications. This is how they intercepted the Aud and caught Casement after he came ashore in Co. Kerry from a U-boat. The Mauser rifles the rebels used in the Rising were also German.

The Proclamation speaks of "out gallant allies" in Europe for goodness sake.

John Devoy, the Fenian leader in America was in contact with the Germans to purchase arms and British intercepted his secret communications. This is how they intercepted the Aud and caught Casement after he came ashore in Co. Kerry from a U-boat. The Mauser rifles the rebels used in the Rising were also German.

Amazingly, Loyalists had little issues in smuggling in guns around the same time :)

Keep the potential English viewers and Kevin Myers happy on the proposition that Ireland was friends with ze Germans while brave British and Irish men perished in Flanders?

To be fair, the case against the Rebels was open and shut. They produced arms against Crown Forces and like Wolfe Tone before them, they could only be executed. Sure the show clearly expresses that Pearse wanted to die (which seems true)

I didn't see the spoiler for next week, but I wonder, out of interest, since the show is about women, I wonder will they touch on the apparent difference of opinion on the evidence of the Prosecution, William Wylie and that of other British officers, with regard to the behaviour of Countess Markievicz during her trial (covered in TG4 documentary)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

I think it was more Redmond.
    Germany plotted it, Germany organised it, Germany paid for it.

This claim gave Maxwell licence to charge the rebels with treason. (Reference)

Amazingly, Loyalists had little issues in smuggling in guns around the same time :)

Precisely. There was a conspiracy by Tories and Conservatives to oppose Home Rule by force. The Germans armed BOTH Irish nationalists and Unionists and encouraged Tory opposition to Liberal government policy. At the same time they backed the Communists so they could distabalize Russia.

The Proclamation speaks of "out gallant allies" in Europe for goodness sake.

"gallant allies"?

The Proclamation covers 300 years of taking up arms 6 times. During that time France had sought to aid Ireland (for it's own purposes) in 1798. The Spanish did likewise during the days of O'Neill. Hell, Lenin would later send over money to Ireland (after 1916)

Connolly said that He didn't "serve King nor Kaiser, but Ireland".......

As you know, ze Germans supplied both the North and the South.

You are aware of the German Plot that occurred after 1916. Even the British realised that they had no evidence of this. Of course, it is known that Plunkett and Casement went to German and did seek actual military help though....

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Keep the potential English viewers and Kevin Myers happy on the proposition that Ireland was friends with ze Germans while brave British and Irish men perished in Flanders?

To be fair, the case against the Rebels was open and shut. They produced arms against Crown Forces and like Wolfe Tone before them, they could only be executed. Sure the show clearly expresses that Pearse wanted to die (which seems true)

I didn't see the spoiler for next week, but I wonder, out of interest, since the show is about women, I wonder will they touch on the apparent difference of opinion on the evidence of the Prosecution, William Wylie and that of other British officers, with regard to the behaviour of Countess Markievicz during her trial (covered in TG4 documentary)

In his speech to the court martial Pearse admitted he took German arms but not German gold.

Lt Dan wrote: »
    "gallant allies"?

The Proclamation covers 300 years of taking up arms 6 times. During that time France had sought to aid Ireland (for it's own purposes) in 1798. The Spanish did likewise during the days of O'Neill. Hell, Lenin would later send over money to Ireland (after 1916)

Connolly said that He didn't "serve King nor Kaiser, but Ireland".......

As you know, ze Germans supplied both the North and the South.

You are aware of the German Plot that occurred after 1916. Even the British realised that they had no evidence of this. Of course, it is known that Plunkett and Casement went to German and did seek actual military help though....

I know all this. Irish republicans were no more Pro Napoleon than that were Pro Kaiser or Pro Hitler or Pro Soviet. They were just sources of arms and were a refuge for on the runs.

I understand that but it is certain that the writers were making a point as he was the only "nobody" who was namechecked.

Yes, it happened. Collins didn't get the death penalty unlike over sixty others.

When Maxwell was under pressure not to implement future executions , he is on record of asking William Wylie , Prosecuting Officer and future High Court Judge (and supreme authoritarian in the area of Irish Land Law) whether he thought Eamonn De Valera would be a trouble maker in the future, Wylie said no that he was a no body as well.

Collins played no role in commander of any unit of sub unit, unlike say William T Cosgrave.

Anyone notice at the end names called out when Gleeson was leaving the screen. Cosgrave (future leader of Cumann na nGaedheal and father of future leader of Fine Gael) got mention but no other future Fianna Failer?. I wonder was that to appease Fine Gael? lol.

• Advertisement

I know all this. Irish republicans were no more Pro Napoleon than that were Pro Kaiser or Pro Hitler or Pro Soviet. They were just sources of arms and we're a refuge for on the runs.

Yes, I know that, you know that, but it never stops the revisionists. Dare I say, it was the same attitude in World War 2 and the mean spirited hope that Britain would get it's arse kicked, but secretly hoping not at the same time.

The allegations of German association during 1916 and during the Emergency are used by it's enemies to delegitimise Ireland's stance

Advertisement