Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just dawned on me - it's Rose from Downton Abbey! (I think....)

Haven't a notion what her real name is though.

Lady Rose is over on the BBC playing a Russian in War and Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Its ok-ish, early days yet, although it comes across like one of those Maeve Binchy type novels, romance against the backround of certain events, the usual.......

That actually happened in real life though when rich girls joined the Citizen Army and mixed with men from other classes. I suggest you read Vivid Faces by Roy Foster which focused on the political and sexual awakening of revolutionaries at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There's a hint of modern false accents coming through in some of the female actors. A bit slow moving also.

Thought that was quite good.

Script was decent, acting was mostly good. Don't like yer man Liza is engaged to. I've seen him in other things too and never been overly impressed with him. Couldn't understand a lot of what her brother was saying either. Other than that I was impressed. The three female leads are great.

CGI in a few exterior shots were very good and I assume they shot in real buildings? If not the sets are excellent.

I love how they're showing a few different points of view too. Irish men who went to the war for Britain, Irish people who didn't support the rebels, Anglo Irish who did etc.etc. Bit more of a balanced look at Irish history than we normally get.

That actually happened in real life though when rich girls joined the Citizen Army and mixed with men from other classes. I suggest you read Vivid Faces by Roy Foster which focused on the political and sexual awakening of revolutionaries at the time.

I get the impression that Charlie Murphy's character is a strong minded, independent woman who is feeling suffocated with her parents having her life mapped out for her.

Dare i say it but there was almost shades of the Nicole Kidman character from Far and Away about her. Rich parents with an approved suitor in wait but has a dark rebellious side screaming to get out of her.

• Advertisement

Good old Cat Killer Wayne still has that look in his eyes!

He's a Fianna Eireann boy. They were a scout group that Patrick Pearse used to mold boys into revolutionaries at his St. Enda's school. He brainwashed them with stories of Fionn and Cuchulainn and Robert Emmet and Fenians and just as you see in the show he had them making bombs and training with guns.
    He basically created a batch of young teenage fanatics but it was all very homoerotic.
    I think the girl who fancies Pearse doesn't twig he's into young boys!

He's a Fianna Eireann boy. They were a scout group that Patrick Pearse used to mold boys into revolutionaries at his St. Enda's school. He brainwashed them with stories of Fionn and Cuchulainn and Robert Emmet and Fenians and just as you see in the show he had them making bombs and training with guns.
    He basically created a batch of young teenage fanatics but it was all very homoerotic.

Thats right, McSavage even satired a very very strange poem that Pearse wrote on the Savage eye one night. He was a strange one. Collins once stated that he had a huge amount of respect for Connolly who was a realist but not so much Pearse who he seemed to hint was a fantasist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

That was actually quite good
    Saleable too

Very good start, although in truth i did think it would be a bit hard to follow if you didn't know he story. still, i'm sure a few more captions would sort it out for the foreign market.

Can someone tell me what was the link between the church bells being rang and they realising war had been declared.

That scene with the boys was a bit like an ISIS training video. Glory in death and all that jazz. Scary.

I get the impression that Charlie Murphy's character is a strong minded, independent woman who is feeling suffocated with her parents having her life mapped out for her.

Dare i say it but there was almost shades of the Nicole Kidman character from Far and Away about her. Rich parents with an approved suitor in wait but has a dark rebellious side screaming to get out of her.

The suffragettes in Ireland were the germ for the Daughters of Ireland group that later became Cumman na mBan. A lot of these independent strong women soon found after the Civil War ended in 1923 that their wings had been clipped. The Free State was very much a male club and they put women back in their place once the fighting was over.

• Advertisement

The suffragettes in Ireland were the germ for the Daughters of Ireland group that later became Cumman na mBan. A lot of these independent strong women soon found after the Civil War ended in 1923 that their wings had been clipped. The Free State was very much a male club and they put women back in their place once the fighting was over.

Ah not to worry, some day in the future a woman called Mary Harney would make up for all of the suffering endured and sacrifices that these poor women made by pampering herself rotten courtesy of the tax payer :)

Very good start, although in truth i did think it would be a bit hard to follow if you didn't know he story. still, i'm sure a few more captions would sort it out for the foreign market.

Can someone tell me what was the link between the church bells being rang and they realising war had been declared.

Britain gave an ultimatum to Germany to get out of Belgium and the deadline passed signalled by the bells.

Ah not to worry, some day in the future a woman called Mary Harney would make up for all of the suffering endured and sacrifices that these poor women made by pampering herself rotten courtesy of the tax payer :)

We needed comely maidens and the contests of athletic youths.

That scene with the boys was a bit like an ISIS training video. Glory in death and all that jazz. Scary.

No better man to have in that scene than Wayne/Cormac/Cat Killer. Brilliant actor. He is really able to convey an impression of an unfeeling sociopath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am shipping Lizzy and Jimmy already :p

Anyone know who is playing Jimmy's brother? He reminds me a bit of Aiden Gillen but with the ability to act.

Anyone know who is playing Jimmy's brother? He reminds me a bit of Aiden Gillen but with the ability to act.

Harsh, Gillen was excellent in the Wire. You dont get parts in all of these international series and movies without some talent

Harsh, Gillen was excellent in the Wire. You dont get parts in all of these international series and movies without some talent

He's the same in everything I've ever seen him in. Even when he's presenting Other Voices.

And loads of people have great success in the acting world without any real talent.

Thats right, McSavage even satired a very very strange poem that Pearse wrote on the Savage eye one night. He was a strange one. Collins once stated that he had a huge amount of respect for Connolly who was a realist but not so much Pearse who he seemed to hint was a fantasist.

Pearse was broke and his school was bankrupt when he abandoned Home Rule for death wish blood sacrifice. He was definitely psychologically unbalanced.
    Connolly was a raving Marxist and just as off his nut.
    Joseph Plunkett was dying of TB.
    Thomas Clarke was driven mad after years in solitary when he was banged up for being a Fenian.
    Roger Casement was a gay man and an anti-imperialist who had turned against King and Country. He went native by supporting Irish Republicanism.

They were heroes but to be Revolutionary you have to be touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Played by Barry Ward

• Advertisement

Pearse was broke and his school was bankrupt when he abandoned Home Rule for death wish blood sacrifice. He was definitely psychologically unbalanced.
    Connolly was a raving Marxist and just as off his nut.
    Joseph Plunkett was dying of TB.
    Thomas Clarke was driven mad after years in solitary when he was banged up for being a Fenian.
    Roger Casement was a gay man and an anti-imperialist who had turned against King and Country. He went native by supporting Irish Republicanism.

They were heroes but to be Revolutionary you have to be touched.

I'd watch your version of the Rising, no bother :D

I'd watch your version of the Rising, no bother :D

Hear hear. Super knowledge from young Joe.

Anyone notice Detective Wycliffe in the same scene as the Garda from Love/hate near the beginning of the show?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0791790/?ref_=tt_cl_t13

The countess was markovic right?

She was originally a Gore Booth from Sligo and married a Polish aristocrat hence get title. She was a raving loon and probably a repressed lesbian. The Dr. Lynn who meets Eliza at the Royal College of Surgeons and shows her into a bomb factory is Kathleen Lynn. She was a suffragette a lesbian and also founded Fianna Fail in the 1920s.

She was originally a Gore Booth from Sligo and married a Polish aristocrat hence get title. She was a raving loon and probably a repressed lesbian. The Dr. Lynn who meets Eliza at the Royal College of Surgeons and shows her into a bomb factory is Kathleen Lynn. She was a suffragette a lesbian and also founded Fianna Fail in the 1920s.

Don't be silly. Lesbians didn't exist until the 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Love/Hate cast all over it, I'm expecting to see Nidge running a Georgian knocking shop in episode 2.

Enjoying it so far, it's made me appreciate the old Dublin buildings that you can see in the show, no major CGI work needed to bring back the old early century look, great city for filming such an era.
    Id imagine most of it is shot in the barracks in Islandbridge or the Players cigarette factory on the SCR.

PS where they made Ripper Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Marje wrote: »
    Played by Barry Ward

He does look like Aidan Gillen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,590 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gillen is a strange one, he's a charismatic guy, but I've never, ever been convinced by him acting. Despite all the great roles I can't buy him in anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would be nice to see something on Irish TV that doesn't have Love/Hate stars saturating it. It happens with presenters and actors on there, any bit of acclaim and they recycle multiple times. Surely there's more actors than those that were in Love/Hate?

On the series, it feels the events take a backseat to love stories etc and it's an unfortunate plot device used so many times in shows that portray events.There is license then to invent characters rather than be ballsy and try and just tell the story. Might check out the second episode but nothing to write home about so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Are you an historical psychiatrist?
    Constance Markevievicz was a raving loon.
    Pearse was definitely psychologically unbalanced.
    Connolly was off his nut.
    Thomas Clarke was mad.
    They were all "touched".
    Maybe you should write a book giving your diagnosis of the 1916 leaders medical problems.

Advertisement