Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Still these wounds of war were never healed at least not for a long time. Cork was raised to the ground by the Black & Tans. Everyone with links to Sinn Féin were treated as prisoners. The Volunteers were denied basic rights by the military occupation. Maxwell, French or Lowe went back to England with their careers intact. Who knows what happened to them but no justice was ever done for the occupation of Dublin during the 1916 Rising and subsequent acts of terrorism.

Maxwell returned to England, fairly disgraced and used as a scapegoat. He was pushed off back to obscurity to some Northern Regiment and was denied a knight hood.

Who was the British Leader when Singapore Surrendered to the Japanese in World War 2. He served in Ireland during the Tan War, in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Then waited two weeks to give us that insight.

Didn't realise speed was factor. I saw a thread, I gave my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Its a woefully bad attempt to portray the events of 1916.
    Terrible pity because it really is a story worth telling no matter what your political views.
    The acting is generally poor, the sets abysmal, the gleeson character must have been some boyo, in city hall fighting at the start where is own brother captures him and let's him go. Gpo next for a bit more then over to the mount street bridge/ Northumberland road battle and back to the Gpo in time to surrender. Such nonsense, but he is Brendan s son so he needs to use up most of the budget I suppose, and charlie Murphy running off in her wedding dress to take part in the revolutionary action.
    Dreadful nonsense, of course they will probably award each other 20 iftas.
    Do we still have iftas?

Actually a Dublin Fusiler is said to have to taken part in the assault on City Hall and met his own brother who was fighting with the rebels and let him go according to Fergal McGarry's book Rebels which quotes interviews by the Bureau of Military History.

A number of the rebels who fought at Mount Street escaped when their positions fell to the British. In other battles such as Clarke's Bridge, in Ballybough and Fairview the rebels withdrew and made their way to O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Maxwell returned to England, fairly disgraced and used as a scapegoat. He was pushed off back to obscurity to some Northern Regiment and was denied a knight hood.

Who was the British Leader when Singapore Surrendered to the Japanese in World War 2. He served in Ireland during the Tan War, in Cork

General Percival. Tom Barry was sorry he didn't shoot him because Percival surrendered Singapore to the Japanese in 1941 dooming thousands of his men to a slow death as slave labourers.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Actually a Dublin Fusiler is said to have to taken part in the assault on City Hall and met his own brother who was fighting with the rebels and let him go according to Fergal McGarry's book Rebels which quotes interviews by the Bureau of Military History.

A number of the rebels who fought at Mount Street escaped when their positions fell to the British. In other battles such as Clarke's Bridge, in Ballybough and Fairview the rebels withdrew and made their way to O'Connell Street.

Yes Joseph,I have read Rebels and have purused the interviews contained in the Bureau of Military History,some fascinating stuff contained therein,
    A number of the Mount Street garrison did survive but none made it to the GPO that's just fantasy to help the Gleeson pension fund ( look at my user name,maybe I know a thing or two about Mount Street,maybe I don't)
    And yes some took part in action at the North Strand and Ballybough as they made their way into the GPO on the Easter Monday but there was little or no tooing and froing between rebel ouposts.
    However all that can be tolerated under "dramatic licence" if the thing was any good.
    Its not,its useless
    Gene Kerrigans new book The Scrap is well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

€6 million is actually a pretty small budget for a 5 part TV series.

€6 million is a very decent budget for any home grown TV drama though and RTE seem to have spent their entire drama budget for the year on Rebellion.

Compare the RTE figures to what TG4 are producing for much less. Rebellion's budget breaks down to €1.2million per episode, that's three times what TG4 spent per episode on their flagship drama series An Klondike that was aired last year. An Klondike was also a period piece with a large cast and TG4 even managed to recreate an entire Wild West frontier town for the production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

€6 million is a very decent budget for any home grown TV drama though and RTE seem to have spent their entire drama budget for the year on Rebellion.

Compare the RTE figures to what TG4 are producing for much less. Rebellion's budget breaks down to €1.2million per episode, that's three times what TG4 spent per episode on their flagship drama series An Klondike that was aired last year. An Klondike was also a period piece with a large cast and TG4 even managed to recreate an entire Wild West frontier town for the production.

Funnily enough An Klondike is made by the same production company that made Seachtar na Cásca :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Do RTÉ generally produce a lot of original drama in a year though? Genuine question. It feels like they usually only have one, which has been Love/Hate for the past few years.

TG4 do seem to make much better use of the money they get. The majority of their productions are better than anything RTE does. Corp agus Anam was another great series they did. Not a big budget flashy show but very well made and we'll written.

Do RTÉ generally produce a lot of original drama in a year though? Genuine question. It feels like they usually only have one, which has been Love/Hate for the past few years.

TG4 do seem to make much better use of the money they get. The majority of their productions are better than anything RTE does. Corp agus Anam was another great series they did. Not a big budget flashy show but very well made and we'll written.

Last year they had Charlie and Clean Break, but as far as I know they will only have Rebellion this year. I think RTE also include Fair City as part of their drama output.

And totally agree on Corp agus Anam, another example of TG4's strong track record in drama.

Last year they had Charlie and Clean Break, but as far as I know they will only have Rebellion this year. I think RTE also include Fair City as part of their drama output.

And totally agree on Corp agus Anam, another example of TG4's strong track record in drama.

There are 4 other RTE drama series listed on the BAI's list of projects to receive funding since Rebellion did. Whether they're for this year or next year I'm not sure. An Klondike has also gotten funding for a 2nd series.

There's also a whole load of rubbish on the list. People who complained about tax payers money being wasted on Rebellion should have a read through the lists if they're looking for something to complain about once Rebellion is over. ;)

• Advertisement

This popped up on Google News today, some details about TV3s offering.

I think the people who were giving out about how many Love/Hate actors are in Rebellion had better brace themselves :pac:

Fairly quick turnaround if they're only just starting filming now, for broadcast in April/May, and a little odd that they didn't plan on having it ready for Easter. Maybe they'll have it on for the actual anniversary.

maudgonner wrote: »

I think the people who were giving out about how many Love/Hate actors are in Rebellion had better brace themselves :pac:

Fairly quick turnaround if they're only just starting filming now, for broadcast in April/May, and a little odd that they didn't plan on having it ready for Easter. Maybe they'll have it on for the actual anniversary.

It's only a 2 hour show and if it's all set in the court it should speed things up a bit.

Can't wait to see what reaction this gets. Nidge as Pearse is an interesting choice. Should go down well. Also the fact that Pearse very clearly wanted to die in/after the Rising makes anything they have him say on trial hugely controversial before we even know what it is they're going to have him say.

TG4's one is the time travelling one so. Would have thought this fictional trial business would have been more up their street.

TG4's one is the time travelling one so. Would have thought this fictional trial business would have been more up their street.

Yeah, this is the TG4 one. Also has a Love/Hate'er in it :)

It looks like the makers, Tile, also did a feature drama on the Rising for TG4 in 2014, Áille an Úafais, didn't see that one but I'm sure it will be repeated at some stage of the year.

I guess the TV3 one being ready for airing at the end of April is more accurate anniversary wise than Easter which is very early this year.

I was in France for a while back in the late 80's and this sounds very similar to a show that was made for French TV as part of their commemoration of the bicentennial of the French Revolution.

Marie Antoinette and King Louis were put on trial and then TV viewers were able to vote on whether they should be spared or sent to the guillotine. In what was considered a surprising turn of events, French audiences voted not to execute the pair. I remember it was part of a huge debate at the time as to the rights and wrongs of the revolution in the first place.

Actually quite similar to what is happening in Ireland at the moment!

I guess the TV3 one being ready for airing at the end of April is more accurate anniversary wise than Easter which is very early this year.

Looks like they might miss both Easter and the anniversary - I guess this explains the vagueness about air-dates in the Mirror article. It could well be availability issues that pushed them so late, but it seems like a shame if it does get delayed till May - we'll all be sick to the back teeth of the Rising by then (if we're not already :))
    The programme has a scheduled airing date for April, but could be pushed back to May depending on filming, which would see it being aired after the Easter Rising centenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lt Dan wrote: »
    How on earth can you make entertainment out of the Rising?

Look at the series Generation War which aired on RTE2 in late 2013 about six young fictional friends in their early twenties, three male and three female and one of them Jewish and their experiences in the Third Reich and on the Eastern Front. It's set against the backdrop of battle scenes and Nazi atrocities and as the series progresses one of the characters Friedhelm has become so brutalised that he is willingly joining in with the atrocities. But it's still a TV drama and "entertainment" and not a history lesson.

If RTE was serious about commerating the rising they could show Insurrection (which they made in 1966 and never showed again)

I think Eoghan Harris and his ilk with their post colonial self loathing made sure of that.

http://comeheretome.com/2015/04/01/scenes-from-insurrection-1966/

If RTE was serious about commemorating the rising they could show Insurrection (which they made in 1966 and never showed again)

I think Eoghan Harris and his ilk with their post colonial self loathing made sure of that.

If RTE was serious about commemorating the rising they could show Insurrection (which they made in 1966 and never showed again)

Wasn't there some controversy about Insurrection though? Apparently it gave us the traditional and "non revisionist" version of the rebels being noble and heroic and totally justified in their actions and the British being the bad guys.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Wasn't there some controversy about Insurrection though? Apparently it gave us the traditional and "non revisionist" version of the rebels being noble and heroic and totally justified in their actions and the British being the bad guys.

And your question is caller? ??
    Actually it was relatively fair. Like the movies the British made about WW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I think people have been saying that Rebellion is too short at 5 episodes and doesn't deal too well with characterisation.

Possibly the series is missing out more of the build up to the Rising, going back a couple of years and what motivated the characters to join the Rising or oppose it. We do get some bits and pieces of information along the way of the back stories. However as has been said the budget at 6 million was limited. The more money you have for these kinds of programs, the more leeway is given to the writer to develop back stories and write more episodes.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few prequels!

Like virtually all of the coverage in 1966, it seems Insurrection was rather simplistic in it's approach. Ireland was occupied by a brutal and oppressive regime and the rebels were noble and courageous and won the country it's freedom by kick starting the march to independence.

I would say too that most British war movies made post WW2 were simplistic. The British always portrayed as noble and heroic and in the right up against a bunch of rotters and villains with no scruples.

It sounds like you're saying you'd rather watch an inaccurate at worst, one sided propaganda at best, program about the Rising than watch a fair and honest attempt at retelling the events?

Forget your Rebellions and your Insurrections and your Seachtar Na Cásca's.

I've just watched the definitive film version of the 1916 Rising. Take a bow the boys of 3rd class Sunday's Well National School:

Forget your Rebellions and your Insurrections and your Seachtar Na Cásca's.

I've just watched the definitive film version of the 1916 Rising. Take a bow the boys of 3rd class Sunday's Well National School:

That is absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

But, but, but ... they used the wrong type of gun.

Totally inauthentic.

It sounds like you're saying you'd rather watch an inaccurate at worst, one sided propaganda at best, program about the Rising than watch a fair and honest attempt at retelling the events?

No Elmo
    I am all for objectivity,I am a very balanced objective person who would be well aware of both sides
    However I do not suffer from post colonial self loathing which seems to afflict a lot of my compatriots.

Actually the Rubber Bandits did a very good history of the rising
    much better than Rebellion and funnier and the sets were more authentic ...but the big plus was NO BLOODY GLEESONS.

Up the Republic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am all for objectivity,I am a very balanced objective person who would be well aware of both sides
    However I do not suffer from post colonial self loathing which seems to afflict a lot of my compatriots.
    Those two statements do not sit easily together.

Advertisement