Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it could be interesting to see Elizabeth's family continued with. Especially if they've got a nice big country estate some local heroes could burn them out of. See how Elizabeth feels about it all then.

I think there's probably loads of scope for another series if they narrow down the focus a bit. Calling it Rebellion kind of ties their hands a bit though. The original title was Generation, which would have allowed for a bit more scope over the years. A very interesting decade or so to be "coming of age" in Ireland.

I would imagine the plan is to carry on with all the characters : May & Frances, Jimmy plus Arthur and his family, Elizabeth and her family, maybe even Mr Hammond if he's still based in Ireland. The possibilities for storylines are numerous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would imagine the plan is to carry on with all the characters : May & Frances, Jimmy plus Arthur and his family, Elizabeth and her family, maybe even Mr Hammond if he's still based in Ireland. The possibilities for storylines are numerous.

Yeah, I just think they could do with narrowing the focus a bit. Although if there was a second series there obviously wouldn't be an armed rebellion to squeeze into it so they could probably focus on the characters a bit more. I don't see the point in Hammond sticking around unless he leaves his wife. I guess if he and May were trying to make a go of things as public opinion towards the British was changing it could make for some interesting conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A drama surrounding the 1918 election could be an interesting topic. So I would hope that if there was a 2nd series, it wont not skip through to the war of independence.

Yeah, I just think they could do with narrowing the focus a bit. Although if there was a second series there obviously wouldn't be an armed rebellion to squeeze into it so they could probably focus on the characters a bit more. I don't see the point in Hammond sticking around unless he leaves his wife. I guess if he and May were trying to make a go of things as public opinion towards the British was changing it could make for some interesting conflict.

Just remembering that Mrs Hammond lives in England, so perhaps he hasn't been based in Dublin too long. They would definitely have much more time for characterisation in the next series and fleshing out of personal lives.

A drama surrounding the 1918 election could be an interesting topic. So I would hope that if there was a 2nd series, it wont not skip through to the war of independence.

I believe a second series is pretty definite now going by what RTE's managing director said this week.

• Advertisement

I believe a second series is pretty definite now going by what RTE's managing director said this week.

I'd imagine a second series wouldn't cost as much to produce either given there'd be l less/no need for them to use any of the historical locations they used in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yes but what will the 2nd season be about? Will it be the immediate aftermath of 1916? Or further down the line? Personally I'd like to see something around 1917 / 1918 because I don't think it's been done before (could be wrong though).

Yes but what will the 2nd season be about? Will it be the immediate aftermath of 1916? Or further down the line? Personally I'd like to see something around 1917 / 1918 because I don't think it's been done before (could be wrong though).

I believe the plan is for the second series to be set in 1918 and the third series at some point during or towards the end of the War of Independence.

From what the RTE boss said this week, it seems a second series is certain so it looks like you're getting your wish for a series set in 1918 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Another series? ? A follow up to rebellion?
    Ok
    Here are the requirements
    Proper actors who can act, voice coaches would help.
    Proper research, that doesn't mean flicking through a few books or articles on the times and picking little bits that they presume no one will have ever heard of, thus showing how well researched the project was.
    Proper director, the likes of ken loach, not some art student who has an uncle in Rte, which is the usual requirement.
    Proper use of sets/ locations
    And finally. ..can anyone guess. ..go on. .
    That's right NO GLEESONS

Another series? ? A follow up to rebellion?
    Ok
    Here are the requirements
    Proper actors who can act, voice coaches would help.
    Proper research, that doesn't mean flicking through a few books or articles on the times and picking little bits that they presume no one will have ever heard of, thus showing how well researched the project was.
    Proper director, the likes of ken loach, not some art student who has an uncle in Rte, which is the usual requirement.
    Proper use of sets/ locations
    And finally. ..can anyone guess. ..go on. .
    That's right NO GLEESONS

Ah yes, Aku Louhimies of the Donnybrook Louhimies. His uncle Paddy Louhimies is off course the well known RTÉ personality.

All of your complaints are imaginary. There are genuine areas they could improve on but they are not the things you seem to take issue with. I wonder if you've accidentally been watching RTÉ 2 instead of RTÉ 1 on Sunday evenings and that's why you're so confused about it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 davidgrace

I see the viewership figures have begun to decline for this programme. I'm not surprised, as my appetite for anything to do with 1916 is not very large. However, I am looking forward to Michael Collins being re-released in the cinema to mark its 20th anniversary. That was a fine film, despite some minor historical innaccuracies.

Elmo
    The director may well have been recruited from outside the normal cabal but so what

I never let facts get in the way of a good argument.
    I am truly amazed that you can defend this woeful production

Elmo
    The director may well have been recruited from outside the normal cabal but so what

I never let facts get in the way of a good argument.
    I am truly amazed that you can defend this woeful production

Just one of the many ridiculous accusations you've thrown about. I am starting to think you're a wind up merchant and have no actual opinions of this program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

That's insane. Surely the ratings are saying the opposite? It's very very average and has utterly failed to capture the imagination.
    What period would the 2nd series cover?

Elmo
    I have very strong opinions about this programme.
    I try to bring a bit humour and self deprecation to the table also, bit of good humoured banter never does any harm, certainly better than getting involved in bitter political arguments, including the ridiculous assertion by some on here that we should never have left the UK ( now that I at least hope is just trolling/ wind up)
    Whatever ones views are of 1916 it was one of the major events of irish history, this is the centenary of course and the national broadcaster decided to commission a drama relating to those events.
    I looked forward to seeing it and have thoroughly disappointed by the damp squib that has been presented.
    Perhaps it hasn't enough gleesons, who knows but it's lacking something

That's insane. Surely the ratings are saying the opposite? It's very very average and has utterly failed to capture the imagination.
    What period would the 2nd series cover?

It's a myth that the ratings are bad for this series. Episode 3 had 700k viewers across all platforms, that would equate to an audience of around 8 or 9m in the UK, which the BBC or ITV would be ecstatic about for a drama series.

I've heard that the second series will be set in 1918, but it's unclear what part of the year (probably because it hasn't been written yet). I assume the conscription crisis, the rise of Sinn Fein and the General Election would form the backdrop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think there's probably loads of scope for another series if they narrow down the focus a bit. Calling it Rebellion kind of ties their hands a bit though.

Ach, I dont think the name troubles it.
    They could still motor through to the second war with the same characters and get 6 more series :

- Independence

- Civil War

- Painting Everything Green

- Economic War

- Poverty and Squalor Persist

- Cowardice

Our Heimat if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

They could always re name it to 'Rebellion Street' and put it on twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

So how many posters on this thread work for RTE or have family in RTE?

Regards...jmcc

Yes, the local post office of a Monday morning could have been ablaze with criticism back in '66. :D
    The novel was published in 1969 and the TV series aired in 1980.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

How many posters on this thread are unable to watch any RTE output objectively because they are prejudiced against the Donnybrook fundament ?

It's a myth that the ratings are bad for this series.
    The figures continue to decline. That doesn't seem to be a myth.
    Episode 3 had 700k viewers across all platforms, that would equate to an audience of around 8 or 9m in the UK, which the BBC or ITV would be ecstatic about for a drama series.
    But this isn't the UK. How are the figures measured? Is anyone watching in a fifteen minute segment considered a "viewer"? How many people switched channels and never watched the complete episode?

Regards...jmcc

But this isn't the UK. How are the figures measured? Is anyone watching in a fifteen minute segment considered a "viewer"? How many people switched channels and never watched the complete episode?

Regards...jmcc[/quote]

But many on here wish it was. ..The UK

But many on here wish it was. ..The UK
    Unfortunately. The problem is that few in RTE would have what it takes to succeed in the UK.

Regards...jmcc

I've heard that the second series will be set in 1918, but it's unclear what part of the year (probably because it hasn't been written yet). I assume the conscription crisis, the rise of Sinn Fein and the General Election would form the backdrop.

1918 would be good too for Arthur coming home from the war, assuming he lived.

1918 would be good too for Arthur coming home from the war, assuming he lived.

Or even if he didnt - what happens to the family, did survive and how, had they any interest in the independence issue and did it do anything for them ?

There are many interesting strands that would be interesting to follow on from this opener. Plenty of good plotlines and good characters that would not have to resort to soap rehashes, or stoop to tissue paper thin storylines as Downton did.

jmcc wrote: »
    The figures continue to decline. That doesn't seem to be a myth.

Regards...jmcc

Apparently it's quite commonplace for the ratings for a new TV drama to start out relatively high and then to drop with each passing week (and rather unusual for them to go in the opposite direction in fact). I was looking at the ratings for series 1 of The Bridge yesterday and on Swedish, Danish and UK TV, the ratings started out well and then dropped with each episode and by episode 4 were much lower.

As for the actual ratings, when they say an average of 700k viewers, they mean 700k people watched the entire episode from start to finish.

There are many interesting strands that would be interesting to follow on from this opener. Plenty of good plotlines and good characters that would not have to resort to soap rehashes, or stoop to tissue paper thin storylines as Downton did.

Yes. Arthur comes home paralysed and in a wheelchair. There is no hope for him. Until he gets a look at a nice bum walking past and little Arthur reawakens. Next episode he's walking again.

Apparently it's quite commonplace for the ratings for a new TV drama to start out relatively high and then to drop with each passing week (and rather unusual for them to go in the opposite direction in fact).
    More PR fluff? If the first episode of a series is good, then there's a word of mouth effect that can spike the numbers watching the second episode. If there is no emotional buy-in from viewers, the numbers for subsequent episodes fall. That's what appears to be happening here.
    As for the actual ratings, when they say an average of 700k viewers, they mean 700k people watched the entire episode from start to finish.
    No it does not. An average is not a total. And if RTE or whomever is still measuring in 15 minute increments, then the figures for those watching the full episodes may be lower than the 700K claimed.

There has been a shift from synchronous viewing (where people would watch programmes when they were broadcast) to asynchronous viewing (where people use DVRs and online viewing to watch programmes) so the online viewing data might be somewhat more accurate.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    More PR fluff? If the first episode of a series is good, then there's a word of mouth effect that can spike the numbers watching the second episode. If there is no emotional buy-in from viewers, the numbers for subsequent episodes fall. That's what appears to be happening here.

No it does not. An average is not a total. And if RTE or whomever is still measuring in 15 minute increments, then the figures for those watching the full episodes may be lower than the 700K claimed.

There has been a shift from synchronous viewing (where people would watch programmes when they were broadcast) to asynchronous viewing (where people use DVRs and online viewing to watch programmes) so the online viewing data might be somewhat more accurate.

Regards...jmcc

The fall off in viewers for Rebellion is not dramatic. They've shipped viewers and probably would have liked to have held on to some of them, but the ratings for episodes 1 and 2 were excellent, so they've fallen from a strong starting point.

They are able to measure peak ratings for all their TV shows. If a show has an average audience of 700k, then it's peak figure will be much higher, well over the 1m mark.

Advertisement