Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Strazdas wrote: »
    They are able to measure peak ratings for all their TV shows. If a show has an average audience of 700k, then it's peak figure will be much higher, well over the 1m mark.

Thats a hell of a lot of figures for and Irish drama. Serious success by any measure. You can see why RTE is moving towards some sort of follow-on.

A TV highlight of the year as promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

The fall off in viewers for Rebellion is not dramatic. They've shipped viewers and probably would have liked to have held on to some of them, but the ratings for episodes 1 and 2 were excellent, so they've fallen from a strong starting point.
    It is a miniseries so the arguments about full series pickups don't apply.
    They are able to measure peak ratings for all their TV shows. If a show has an average audience of 700k, then it's peak figure will be much higher, well over the 1m mark.
    How? And how accurate is the measurement - a full episode viewing or just a random 15 minutes viewing? And as for your claim about a peak viewing figure, without the numbers, no. One has to have the numbers to make such a claim about peak viewing figures.

Regards...jmcc

Thats a hell of a lot of figures for and Irish drama. Serious success by any measure. You can see why RTE is moving towards some sort of follow-on.
    But it is just Strazdas making up figures rather than published and reliable data - a bit like RTE people thinking that Marty Whelan plays Classical music on LyricFM.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jmcc wrote: »
    But it is just Strazdas making up figures rather than published and reliable data - a bit like RTE people thinking that Marty Whelan plays Classical music on LyricFM.

Regards...jmcc

The figures are not made up. Episode 3 had 538,900 viewers plus 164,000 watching on RTE1+1, time shift views and on the Player :

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-not-ruling-out-rebellion-spinoff-despite-plunging-ratings-34397398.html

A TV highlight of the year as promised.

The figures for Rebellion are very healthy. TV dramas don't normally perform as well as regular "entertainment" shows and I'm sure RTE are delighted it's averaging around the half million mark (plus picking up a lot more viewers watching it later).

• Advertisement

I think debating the validity and accuracy of the figures is pretty petty.
    You dont like the show. Fine. But criticising the viewing figures methodology because the figures dont align with what you want them to be is unnecessary. Throw in the chip on the shoulder against RTE and its all sounding a little pathetic.

At this stage, lets see what tomorrow night brings and judge the series for itself, as a whole, and without rejudice against those associated with making it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I posted the other day about the top 20 most watched TV shows on Irish channels the other day. Last year, sports and the Late Late Show aside, Charlie was the most watched drama with 800,000 viewers but it only appeared once meaning it dropped over 200,000 viewers for its next episodes (the 20th place had around 600,000).

It doesn't really matter whether it's someone watching 15 minutes and turning off or someone watching the full episode because all programs are measured the same way. That is the system they use to measure the success of a show and by that system Rebellion has been a success.

I posted the other day about the top 20 most watched TV shows on Irish channels the other day. Last year, sports and the Late Late Show aside, Charlie was the most watched drama with 800,000 viewers but it only appeared once meaning it dropped over 200,000 viewers for its next episodes (the 20th place had around 600,000).

It doesn't really matter whether it's someone watching 15 minutes and turning off or someone watching the full episode because all programs are measured the same way. That is the system they use to measure the success of a show and by that system Rebellion has been a success.

I've been a bit puzzled at even some of the newspapers jumping on the "falling ratings" story in relation to Rebellion, as if the show has been a monumental flop or something when it may well end up being the most watched drama of the year in Ireland on any channel.

I've been a bit puzzled at even some of the newspapers jumping on the "falling ratings" story in relation to Rebellion, as if the show has been a monumental flop or something when it may well end up being the most watched drama of the year in Ireland on any channel.

Some papers were reporting on the Golden Globes as a failure for Irish film because none of the nominated people won. Ignoring the fact that we had a record number of nominations which is in itself a huge success. Negativity sells unfortunately.

I think debating the validity and accuracy of the figures is pretty petty.
    The figures are what make or break a programme. That's how RTE sells advertising.
    You dont like the show. Fine. But criticising the viewing figures methodology because the figures dont align with what you want them to be is unnecessary. Throw in the chip on the shoulder against RTE and its all sounding a little pathetic.
    Actually the figures support what people have been saying about Down Town Abbey (that viewer figures are declining) and not the bogus claim of 1 million viewers peak as made by Strazdas.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

The figures are what make or break a programme. That's how RTE sells advertising.

Actually the figures support what people have been saying about Down Town Abbey (that viewer figures are declining) and not the bogus claim of 1 million viewers peak as made by Strazdas.

Regards...jmcc

No, I said 'any' programme that has an average of 700k viewers will usually have a peak viewership of over 1m viewers : peak referring to a 1 minute window at any point during the show.

That would not apply to episode 3 of Rebellion for example though, according to RTE's own figures, 538k viewers were watching it live on the night.

That would not apply to episode 3 of Rebellion for example though, according to RTE's own figures, 538k viewers were watching it live on the night.
    But you just added your 1 million viewer claim to fluff up the situation and distract the more gullible from the reality.

Regards...jmcc

But you just added your 1 million viewer claim to fluff up the situation and distract the more gullible from the reality.

Regards...jmcc

There seems to be some confusion here. In post #1411 I wasn't referring to Rebellion at all, I was saying if "a show" ie. any show has an average audience of 700k viewers over an hour, it's 1 minute peak would probably be over 1 million viewers.

Rebellion has never had 700k live viewers for any episode, I think it managed 620k for episode 1 and 650k for episode 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Another series? ? A follow up to rebellion?
    Ok
    Here are the requirements
    Proper actors who can act, voice coaches would help.
    Proper research, that doesn't mean flicking through a few books or articles on the times and picking little bits that they presume no one will have ever heard of, thus showing how well researched the project was.
    Proper director, the likes of ken loach, not some art student who has an uncle in Rte, which is the usual requirement.
    Proper use of sets/ locations
    And finally. ..can anyone guess. ..go on. .
    That's right NO GLEESONS

The current Director is a proper award winning director. I think the problem is that any Irish rebellion seen through the eyes of the Irish is never going to look the same through the eyes of a non national.i just don't think the same levels of passion would be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

It doesn't matter how many people watch it
    People watch all sorts of rubbish and this is rubbish of the highest order

It doesn't matter how many people watch it
    People watch all sorts of rubbish and this is rubbish of the highest order

Well, when you're talking about making a second series, which is what we were talking about, it does matter how many people are watching it.

Well, when you're talking about making a second series, which is what we were talking about, it does matter how many people are watching it.

And the second series will be rubbish also. Beleive me, I know these things

I dont though. Such posts suggest you are just a spoofer, and any view you have given on the present series is equally worthless.

Good for you. You can save yourself the trouble of posting anymore about it so. We'll just assume you hate it and you can give your typing fingers a rest.

Tut tut
    I am entitled to my opinion,
    Calling me names is really uncalled for and actually reflects badly on those who engage in such behaviour.
    I am genuinely amazed that some people on here have been enjoying this production and think it's good and god forbid worthy of a sequel.
    Maybe I have higher standards, but that doesn't mean I should be abused by Liliputians

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Good for you. You can save yourself the trouble of posting anymore about it so. We'll just assume you hate it and you can give your typing fingers a rest.

I don't think its up to you to bully someone off a thread when they have a different opinion to you.

Tut tut
    I am entitled to my opinion,
    Calling me names is really uncalled for and actually reflects badly on those who engage in such behaviour.
    I am genuinely amazed that some people on here have been enjoying this production and think it's good and god forbid worthy of a sequel.
    Maybe I have higher standards, but that doesn't mean I should be abused by Liliputians

You are not being criticised for your opinions - but for supposed concrete knowledge of what is yet to come. That is spoofing.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is madness
    This drama has been rubbish
    If the same people make a sequel with the same cast, and same budget etc they will produce more rubbish
    That's not rocket science that's common sense.
    So I stand over my prediction.

I don't think its up to you to bully someone off a thread when they have a different opinion to you.

I don't think it's up to you to accuse me of bullying someone off a thread.

Nothing to do with difference of opinion. It's the same mindless baseless posts over and over and now the idea that he/she can predict the future.

Things not going well for the Down Town Abbey fans so a diversion is thrown into the thread?

It seems that anyone who criticises RTE or Down Town Abbey on this thread is attacked.

Regards...jmcc

Things not going well for the Down Town Abbey fans so a diversion is thrown into the thread?

It seems that anyone who criticises RTE or Down Town Abbey on this thread is attacked.

Regards...jmcc

Expressing a difference of opinion is not attacking someone.

It's a public forum where anyone can express whatever opinion you hold. That also means I, or anyone else, can express a different opinion and maybe I'm wrong on this but I thought the point of a forum was to engage in conversation? If you're posting things and expecting people not to reply if they disagree then you're in the wrong place. (and that's not me bullying someone off a thread before anyone else goes accusing me of it)

Nothing to do with difference of opinion. It's the same mindless baseless posts over and over and now the idea that he/she can predict the future.

Mindless ? Baseless ?
    Tut tut elmo, no need for that type of abuse, losing ones temper is really a poor show old chap,
    Poor show. ..

Mindless ? Baseless ?
    Tut tut elmo, no need for that type of abuse, losing ones temper is really a poor show old chap,
    Poor show. ..

It's just my opinion of your posts? Are we not allowed express opinions without being attacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

You can save yourself the trouble of posting anymore
    you can give your typing fingers a rest
    It's the same mindless baseless posts over and over

My opinion is you are bullying him off the thread. If we disagree, fine.

Maybe you should give your typing fingers a rest and think about it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Not sure its bullying is it? It reads like back seat modding, though I doubt this was intentional.

Advertisement