Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Thought that was quite good.

Script was decent, acting was mostly good. Don't like yer man Liza is engaged to. I've seen him in other things too and never been overly impressed with him. Couldn't understand a lot of what her brother was saying either. Other than that I was impressed. The three female leads are great.

CGI in a few exterior shots were very good and I assume they shot in real buildings? If not the sets are excellent.

I love how they're showing a few different points of view too. Irish men who went to the war for Britain, Irish people who didn't support the rebels, Anglo Irish who did etc.etc. Bit more of a balanced look at Irish history than we normally get.

Yes, they've correctly gotten to grips with the nuances of the period and are showing that many Irish people were actually fully in favour of Ireland remaining within the UK at that point and would have regarded the idea of armed insurrection as complete lunacy.

Are you an historical psychiatrist?
    Constance Markevievicz was a raving loon.
    Pearse was definitely psychologically unbalanced.
    Connolly was off his nut.
    Thomas Clarke was mad.
    They were all "touched".
    Maybe you should write a book giving your diagnosis of the 1916 leaders medical problems.

To be honest, the whole uprising while noble was kind of insane when you think about it. Sure it was making a bold statement but the subsequent Guerrilla campaign orchestrated which was to a degree successful (depending on which way you look at it - 26 counties gained or six counties lost) would have perhaps been a better move to begin with although im saying this with the benefit of hindsight and history

Think about it though, all the leaders are effectively boxing themselves into a corner which they were surrounded by the British and there is no way out.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, they've correctly gotten to grips with the nuances of the period and are showing that many Irish people were actually fully in favour of Ireland remaining within the UK at that point and would have regarded the idea of armed insurrection as complete lunacy.

I would doubt that many of the kings followers were slumming it in tenements somehow. Although looking at the incompetent gobs*ites that rule us in the modern day we are probably not much better off by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Really enjoyed the show and looking forward to next week. The scenery (buildings etc) looked brilliant.

Pearse was broke and his school was bankrupt when he abandoned Home Rule for death wish blood sacrifice. He was definitely psychologically unbalanced.
    Connolly was a raving Marxist and just as off his nut.
    Joseph Plunkett was dying of TB.
    Thomas Clarke was driven mad after years in solitary when he was banged up for being a Fenian.
    Roger Casement was a gay man and an anti-imperialist who had turned against King and Country. He went native by supporting Irish Republicanism.

They were heroes but to be Revolutionary you have to be touched.
    She was originally a Gore Booth from Sligo and married a Polish aristocrat hence get title. She was a raving loon and probably a repressed lesbian. The Dr. Lynn who meets Eliza at the Royal College of Surgeons and shows her into a bomb factory is Kathleen Lynn. She was a suffragette a lesbian and also founded Fianna Fail in the 1920s.
    He's a Fianna Eireann boy. They were a scout group that Patrick Pearse used to mold boys into revolutionaries at his St. Enda's school. He brainwashed them with stories of Fionn and Cuchulainn and Robert Emmet and Fenians and just as you see in the show he had them making bombs and training with guns.
    He basically created a batch of young teenage fanatics but it was all very homoerotic.
    I think the girl who fancies Pearse doesn't twig he's into young boys!

3784339_o.gif

I think I need to brush up on the aul history

I would doubt that many of the kings followers were slumming it in tenements somehow. Although looking at the incompetent gobs*ites that rule us in the modern day we are probably not much better off by comparison.

Perhaps, but the idea of an independent Irish republic hadn't taken hold at all among the general population and wasn't on their radar. Most people were expecting Home Rule within the UK after the War and were content enough with that idea in early 1916. An independent Irish republic was strictly an idea for the revolutionaries and radicals on the fringes of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Corholio wrote: »
    On the series, it feels the events take a backseat to love stories etc and it's an unfortunate plot device used so many times in shows that portray events.There is license then to invent characters rather than be ballsy and try and just tell the story. Might check out the second episode but nothing to write home about so far.

Ya the story where the irish one is knocking off her English boss is a bit too romeo and Juliet.
    The series has potential.

Perhaps, but the idea of an independent Irish republic hadn't taken hold at all among the general population and wasn't on their radar. Most people were expecting Home Rule within the UK after the War and were content enough with that idea in early 1916. An independent Irish republic was strictly an idea for the revolutionaries and radicals on the fringes of society.

Fair point. I think the Rising probably created a martyrdom that suddenly that the general public bought into and this was fueled by the likes of De Valera, et al. Wasnt a fan of De Valera myself tbh. I think he was a power hungry snake and this same man and his minions created civil war against the populations wishes after the treaty was signed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My understanding of that period of history was always that it was the British reaction to the Rising (executing the leaders) that led to the increased support for armed rebellion/independence etc. The Rising itself was a massive failure. It was cancelled and at the last minute it was back on but communications were mixed up or lost or ignored and in the end it was all a bit half arsed, for want of a better word. If the British had just jailed the leaders who knows where we'd be now.

Ya the story where the irish one is knocking off her English boss is a bit too romeo and Juliet.
    The series has potential.

How is it Romeo and Juliet when he's just some $hitebag banging his secretary? The idea that female characters can't have any kind of relationships without it detracting from everything else is ridiculous. Bar a hint of something between Elizabeth and Jimmy I saw no romance in this episode at all.

What a pretentious w@nker Elizabeths brother is :D And he off having a menage a trois with the 2 children from the pub. He reminded me a bit of Billy Zane with his acting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

a few of the scenes are on henrietta street are they?

also apparently there were a large proprtion of lesbians high up in cumann na mban. i think some evem openly co habitated.

How is it Romeo and Juliet when he's just some $hitebag banging his secretary? The idea that female characters can't have any kind of relationships without it detracting from everything else is ridiculous. Bar a hint of something between Elizabeth and Jimmy I saw no romance in this episode at all.

Did you watch the show? He doesn't seem that much of a "****ebag". The point of the relationship seems to be to challenge the divide a la Romeo and Juliet. Her friend later remarks is it better to **** an Englishman or an Irishman.

Did you watch the show? He doesn't seem that much of a "****ebag". The point of the relationship seems to be to challenge the divide a la Romeo and Juliet. Her friend later questions her is it better to **** an Englishman or an Irishman.

Did you watch the show? He doesn't seem that much of a "****ebag". The point of the relationship seems to be to challenge the divide a la Romeo and Juliet. Her friend later remarks is it better to **** an Englishman or an Irishman.

Well were assuming that it didnt end too well for May after she passed on the document. She was as disposable as a shítty nappy to yer man at the end of the day.

My understanding of that period of history was always that it was the British reaction to the Rising (executing the leaders) that led to the increased support for armed rebellion/independence etc. The Rising itself was a massive failure. It was cancelled and at the last minute it was back on but communications were mixed up or lost or ignored and in the end it was all a bit half arsed, for want of a better word. If the British had just jailed the leaders who knows where we'd be now.

Indeed, had the British executed only two or three leaders then stopped (or none at all) it's anyone's guess what would have happened next. One very plausible theory is that we would have seen a huge North vs South civil war on the island instead after 1918 over the Home Rule issue.

On a side issue, Sarah Greene who plays May is divine....Aidan Turner is one lucky guy

Did you watch the show? He doesn't seem that much of a "****ebag". The point of the relationship seems to be to challenge the divide a la Romeo and Juliet. Her friend later questions her is it better to **** an Englishman or an Irishman.

May also questions her friend's idea of what "our nation" is, suggesting that as far as she is concerned her nation is the UK, not some notional Irish state (I think it's the arrival of the English guy's wife that changes things somewhat).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

On a side issue, Sarah Greene who plays May is divine....Aidan Turner is one lucky guy

I think they have split up.

The point of the relationship was for her to be spurned and steal the document in a fit of anger. Were you watching the show?

If anyone was "Romeo and Juliet" it's Jimmy and Elizabeth. They challenge the divide. He's from the slums, she's from a rich Anglo Irish background etc. etc. Even then it's a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I thought she said its better to be f*cked by an Englishman than brainwashed by an Irishman.....

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    I thought she said its better to be f*cked by an Englishman than brainwashed by an Irishman.....

She did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Loved the introduction of James Connolly.

fin12 wrote: »

That phrase is a clanger in the script unfortunately : someone has pointed out that the word 'brainwashing' didn't emerge until the 1950s :)

That phrase is a clanger in the script unfortunately : someone has pointed out that the word 'brainwashing' didn't emerge until the 1950s :)

Thought it was funny that the writer took great care in making sure f**king was a word used at the time but missed brainwashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm not overly impressed with episode 1 - The sets are a bit staged - the costumes a bit out of period, the cadence (albeit only in parts) a little too contemporary - (who sanctioned "is all.") A recent phrase in Irish vernacular.

Other than that acting mostly good - Elizabeth's brother seemed to be struggling with the accent - although he's a seedy enough character - I think it's a little mixed up between Soap and historical drama to be honest. And is caricaturing some of the main characters - Rebellion, lacking a bit of the Rebel, really. But will watch the next installment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

JT26 wrote: »
    Would have much preferred the use of this song

Excellent choice.
    Or maybe this one also:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Aidan Turner is one unlucky single guy now :p considering he thought Long-distance was worth it then :confused:

But will be watching the show next week to see what happens to May.

I see that 2nd season is in development!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

I like alot of the Love/Hate actors but Charlie Murphy seems to have just one facial expression. She is gorgeous though. The only really bad acting was by the guy playing Elizabeth's brother, a bit too much of the stage Anglo-Irish bastard about him.

I think it's a step up from Charlie in terms of the script and acting. I expected the first episode to be slow placed and I think it will pick up next week.

I thought the story involving the Sarah Greene character and the English guy was very predictable and clichéd and very similar to a plot line from the excellent Generation War which was out a year or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

weadick wrote: »
    I like alot of the Love/Hate actors but Charlie Murphy seems to have just one facial expression. She is gorgeous though.

Yeah I felt the same watching it last night. After five seasons (I think) of her having that same expression for most of Love/Hate, it seemed all too familiar. I wish they would mix up the actors a bit, it's like the Love Hate Musical Theatre at this stage.

What's next? Love Hate Does Countdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

Are you an historical psychiatrist?
    Constance Markevievicz was a raving loon.
    Pearse was definitely psychologically unbalanced.
    Connolly was off his nut.
    Thomas Clarke was mad.
    They were all "touched".
    Maybe you should write a book giving your diagnosis of the 1916 leaders medical problems.

I've read their letters, diaries, writings and several biographies and historical books about the rebellion and transcripts of interviews with participants who knew them intimately.

Advertisement