Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

There is no way they could have fitted all that into the time you suggest. The only way they could succeed in that was if every viewer had a detailed knowledge of 1916. However, while many posters on this thread are interested in history (including me), not everybody is. You have to remember that people with no knowledge or limited knowledge of 1916 also watch the series. Imagine putting in a scene of Bulmer Hobson for just 1 minute. There would be endless questions of "Wait, hang on - who's he now?" Or putting in the IRB kidnapping James Connolly. Again, it would just confuse viewers who have no knowledge of 1916 with them asking "What, why are they kidnapping this guy when he's on their side?"
    One thing that the show probably did do well was to fit in as much of the rising as they did.

It was possible to get some of it in, especially Redmond and Dillon, that element should definitely have been in. The IRB-Connolly/Hobson stuff might have been superfluous as we had Pearse and St Enda's . The scenes with Hammond's wife and May could have been scraped, even the pregnancy story - but maybe not as we found out that that had a purpose in the last episode

It could have been done in a way that people would get it. Don't treat people like idiots, even if many of them are. (not referring to you here)

Those who don't get Bulmer Hobson or don't know who he is, don't really have to. A dramatic scene could have been done with that. Showing Connolly to be a voice in the future rebellion have competing and different views to Pearse and then being kidnapped (Love / Hate style) a scene later and told to join them would hardly confuse people, if done right. Drama and action baby, drama and action

Considering how utterly pointless last weeks episode was, much of it could have been cut out.(or was it the week before, it was so forgettable and dealt with little , I can't even remember when it was on)

God forbid people wouldn't put down their mobiles and facebook and do some research after watching rebellion. If they had no problem getting Love Hate, 24, The Wire, Homelands or whatever crap drama was the trend , surely they could have got some of these parts.?

Remember BBC/RTE Rebel Heart? They managed to get 1916, Tan War and Civil War all covered within a similar amount of episodes and covered a lot of incidents as inspired by the books of O'Malley and Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lt Dan wrote: »
    It was possible to get some of it in, especially Redmond and Dillon, that element should definitely have been in. The IRB-Connolly/Hobson stuff might have been superfluous as we had Pearse and St Enda's . The scenes with Hammond's wife and May could have been scraped, even the pregnancy story - but maybe not as we found out that that had a purpose in the last episode

It could have been done in a way that people would get it. Don't treat people like idiots, even if many of them are. (not referring to you here)

Those who don't get Bulmer Hobson or don't know who he is, don't really have to. A dramatic scene could have been done with that. Showing Connolly to be a voice in the future rebellion have competing and different views to Pearse and then being kidnapped (Love / Hate style) a scene later and told to join them would hardly confuse people, if done right. Drama and action baby, drama and action

Considering how utterly pointless last weeks episode was, much of it could have been cut out.(or was it the week before, it was so forgettable and dealt with little , I can't even remember when it was on)

God forbid people wouldn't put down their mobiles and facebook and do some research after watching rebellion. If they had no problem getting Love Hate, 24, The Wire, Homelands or whatever crap drama was the trend , surely they could have got some of these parts.?

Remember BBC/RTE Rebel Heart? They managed to get 1916, Tan War and Civil War all covered within a similar amount of episodes and covered a lot of incidents as inspired by the books of O'Malley and Barry

From what I can recall, Rebel Heart was a bit of damp squib ratings wise despite a fair amount of hype beforehand. It certainly didn't come into the 'big success' category.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I thought the episode was absolutely fine and for the first time we went heavy on characterisation. I'm convinced the only way the series would have been warmly received is if it had gone in favour of a nationalist / republican narrative. Once people realised this was not the case (episode 2 onwards) the negativity seemed to start : "awful", "abysmal", "boring", "revisionist" etc. I'd actually be interested to hear what an international audience would make of it.

We should perhaps have guessed that Frances was a lesbian or had lesbian tendencies and Harry Butler surprisingly turned out to be one of the highlights of the series : lol @ him trying to bribe the detective into freeing Elizabeth :)

No major complaints about the last episode , myself. There was a fair bit a meat on it and even a decent story. I didn't mind Harry at all. He was able to shine in the last episode . "Up me" was a good one

Was that really a lesbian kiss or an act of compassion? lol. Probably the former. Not sure about her, she had the hots for Pearse until he spurned her a few times

Wrong on your idea of what would be warmly received. That is also unfair and down right insulting. Intelligent people, even with Republican sympathies know well what 1916 was and was not and have spent time studying beyond a secondary school text book

. How could they not? Attitudes have changed since 1966. State records have been released , people in their last years came out and gave their stories Check youtube with interviews from veterans whose story is far from romantic. David Nelligan came out and said knowing what he had known by then, he would never have done what he did during the Tan War and that Anti Treaty lads were you know what. Others admitted that they killed civilians in a matter of fact manner . None of them glorified killing British soldiers. Many of them said the Professional Tommie were grand and not like the Tans or Auxiliaries . That 1916 men were not popular when they surrendered by such unpopularity was not completely widespread

Many of the books written in the romantic Ireland way were often written by people who were not involved - see the problems raised by the author who wrote Liam Deasy's book. Earnie O'Malley was far from ignoring the problems or painting the movement in a way that it was not. Tom Barry too, for most part. Richard Mulchay is famous for pointing out that many IRA units struggled to take a decent sized RIC barracks never mind running the Brits into the sea.

There has been an absolute nonsense assumption, by people who are defensive of the show, when belittling the historical issues raised by many people over the various social media sources - "amateur historian", "eating school text books", the latter being a hilarious one. All often stated by people who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to Irish history. Brilliantly such defenses are often not followed up with an actual counter argument containing any facts, hence, the major problem with revisionists - the failure to that into context the standard of the day or replacing facts and evidence with their own theory or speculation - the big one for me is what would happen with Home Rule (people should bloody read the text of the bills first)

The criticism started the first night! Like films inspired by historical events, glaring inaccuracies get called out immediately . It got worse when actually the so called drama and acting border lined Fair City Standards

As a whole, it was NOT critical of the men of 1916. It was neutral, tell it as it is story. Nothing wrong with that. The perception however is another thing, but one must expect that people are intelligent

Most of the complaints has been on the over use of the women's story (what story?) that had little purpose at all (could have been dealt with much better) and expectation that Pearse and Co would get more analysis and an expectation of covering some actually fighting. The other complaints were the script/dialog and pace . Had people known what this would have turned out to be , it may never have got the big ratings on the first night in the first place. Not everyone wanted to watch another costume drama that was going no where in particular

Who cares what the International world thinks, it is not their history. Nothing worse than a pack of lies being allowed to be portrayed .In fairness, there were NO lies about the Republicans in this - just portrayed badly and completely failed to show context and the true British reaction Without showing the context of what happened, it looked like the IRB had no good reason to rebel , or even any reason and they were just a bunch of nut jobs

From what I can recall, Rebel Heart was a bit of damp squib ratings wise despite a fair amount of hype beforehand. It certainly didn't come into the 'big success' category.

Too many scenes were too uncomfortable for those who like to down grade 1916 as it was too much like the Troubles.

This was broadcast around 2001ish.

Also one of the writers was a former IRA man, so the usual "down the Independence" talking heads went to town with it.

Acting was meh, but the point is, they got things covered easily. Since it was an historical piece , the least they could do is show historical events and give people an idea of what happened and let them off with their own research.

It says more about the attitudes of people who would rather be engulfed in Pop Stars and crappy American drama (some of it was good) rather than watch something concerning their own country

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

fin12 wrote: »
    I thought rebellion was really boring, didn't learn anything from the program.

Agreed I stopped watching it after two episodes. The costumes looked good anyway, I suppose.
    I thought it was very disappointing in so many ways. There is nothing in this thread that makes me want to catch up on the other episodes.
    If I am around in 2066, RTE might make a good programme about the 150th anniversary?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Agreed I stopped watching it after two episodes. The costumes looked good anyway, I suppose.
    I thought it was very disappointing in so many ways. There is nothing in this thread that makes me want to catch up on the other episodes.
    If I am around in 2066, RTE might make a good programme about the 150th anniversary?

Will there be such a thing as Ireland in 2066? Feck, most of use will be dead by then or really really old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I wonder what the leaders of 1916 would say seeing us make a program about them 100 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Robert Kee documentary from 1980 here for anyone who is interested.

https://youtu.be/oCkxwROWYAQ

I'll post this again as it was lost within a Tsunami of posts a few weeks ago.
    Crucial viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

Glad it's over and it's getting a well deserved thrashing from all the TV critics.

Lazily written, hastily produced, soap opera trash. 1916 for Corrie/EastEnders watchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reminder: History & Heritage forum for hardcore historical discussion. This thread is for discussing the TV show ONLY.

Some posts have been deleted as per my earlier warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

weadick wrote: »
    Glad it's over and it's getting a well deserved thrashing from all the TV critics.

Lazily written, hastily produced, soap opera trash. 1916 for Corrie/EastEnders watchers.

My thoughts would be that in hindsight it was going to be impossible for RTE to produce a drama on 1916 that would satisfy everyone. Opinions are sharply divided in Ireland on the Rising to this day. If they'd portrayed Pearse and Connolly as noble and heroic and the British as the villains of the piece, one constituency would be very happy and another would be complaining of it being a very one sided and biased account of what actually happened.

"Soap opera trash" is something that could easily have been levelled at Strumpet City. The difference there is that there was nothing contentious or politically sensitive in that series, it didn't throw up any controversial talking points at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Mod

Another post deleted as per MrE's warning above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My thoughts would be that in hindsight it was going to be impossible for RTE to produce a drama on 1916 that would satisfy everyone. Opinions are sharply divided in Ireland on the Rising to this day. If they'd portrayed Pearse and Connolly as noble and heroic and the British as the villains of the piece, one constituency would be very happy and another would be complaining of it being a very one sided and biased account of what actually happened.

"Soap opera trash" is something that could easily have been levelled at Strumpet City. The difference there is that there was nothing contentious or politically sensitive in that series, it didn't throw up any controversial talking points at all.

Nail on head, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

It was rubbish
    Utter nonsensical rubbish from start to finish

I would actually bring criminal charges against everyone involved in this waste of tax payers money.

Actually if I was King of the World I would have the ringleaders of this nonsense executed ( maybe just Gleeson,but maybe few more)
    That would teach them,that would put an end to these Downton Abbey type indulgences.

Good Lord it was so bad it was fun but sadly people like Teevan and the Scandanavian charlatan will be clapping themselves on the backs and awarding themselves IFTAS

Jail the lot of them for Financial and Artistic Treason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This series sucked major donkey dick. The women were rubbish and was a huge mistake for them to be the focal point of the show. We also saw **** all action. where did the budget go ? I say the leaders of the rising are turning in their graves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It was rubbish
    Utter nonsensical rubbish from start to finish

I would actually bring criminal charges against everyone involved in this waste of tax payers money.

Actually if I was King of the World I would have the ringleaders of this nonsense executed ( maybe just Gleeson,but maybe few more)
    That would teach them,that would put an end to these Downton Abbey type indulgences.

Good Lord it was so bad it was fun but sadly people like Teevan and the Scandanavian charlatan will be clapping themselves on the backs and awarding themselves IFTAS

Jail the lot of them for Financial and Artistic Treason..
    So you didn't like it, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Things I liked about Rebellion:

- The best thing about it was that it got me thinking about parts of the rising I never came close to thinking about before (the involvement of the church, British army soldiers on leave fighting the rebels etc.)

- The Art & family storyline was done very well. In one of the first scenes, we see Art & Jimmy talk. It looked like they had no big politic differences, yet they end up fighting each other. Art’s dilemma at fighting his own people was well written.

- The scenes between the priest & the bishop were also very good.

- The actor who played James Connolly was very convincing as Connolly

Things I didn’t like about Rebellion:

- The affair storyline and the scenes between Mrs. Hammond & May. They really didn’t work at all and were completely unrealistic in their execution.

- The wedding storyline. Seemed completely unnecessary to me & the scene with them all outside the chapel in Trinity was the worst scene in the whole series for me.

- The Ingrid storyline. Not sure if some of her scenes were cut out or if she was just there so that we could see Connolly’s execution from her viewpoint. But that storyline didn’t really go anywhere.

- There were not enough scenes of what Dublin looked like in 1916. Early on, we get a great scene of Nelsons Pillar and the viewer probably thought – great, we’ll get to see more of that kind of stuff but it never really happened.

Things I would have liked to have seen / changed:

- A scene of the Helga gunboat on the Liffey would have been great. I know nothing about budgets though so I no idea how feasible that would have been

- More in the lead up to the rising in 1914 / 1915. Show the characters interact in normal Dublin life. Show a backdrop to the rising. I was never really convinced about the Jimmy / Elizabeth love story because the only time we properly see them interact was during Easter week. Would have been nice to see them interact at citizen army meetings or something like that. Would have been nice to see a bit more interaction between the 3 female characters too. What did women in their 20’s do in their spare time in 1914 – 1916? I have no idea and it could have been good to see them hang out as friends and discuss various things like how they were getting involved in different movements. Have them talk about why they were involved in the Citizen army instead of the volunteers etc. I’d have much preferred the time spent on Mrs. Hammond & May to have been spent on those type of scenes.

- A little more comedy. Somebody mentioned earlier that the show really missed “Dublin wit” and I have to agree with that. This is somewhere that Strumpet City really trumps Rebellion. There was a scene in Strumpet City where Pat described to Tierney how his dog might have been re-incarnated. Nothing to do with the lockout but it gave a bit of humour and made you care more about the characters. I cant think of any comparable scene in Rebellion. I think Harry may have been intended as a somewhat comical character but if so, failed miserably.

If I was the writer, there is no doubt that I would have approached it differently. However, I would certainly not have gone down the route of introducing more historical characters than we already saw in it. Hobson, the O’Rahilly, Redmond, Dillion, MacNeill, Casement were all important players in how the events of the Rising unfolded but introducing them would just confuse the average viewer.

I can understand why people have some issues with it but I would certainly watch a second season if it was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

So you didn't like it, then?

Now don't be jumping to conclusions

Things I liked about Rebellion:

- The best thing about it was that it got me thinking about parts of the rising I never came close to thinking about before (the involvement of the church, British army soldiers on leave fighting the rebels etc.)

- The Art & family storyline was done very well. In one of the first scenes, we see Art & Jimmy talk. It looked like they had no big politic differences, yet they end up fighting each other. Art’s dilemma at fighting his own people was well written.

- The scenes between the priest & the bishop were also very good.

- The actor who played James Connolly was very convincing as Connolly

Things I didn’t like about Rebellion:

- The affair storyline and the scenes between Mrs. Hammond & May. They really didn’t work at all and were completely unrealistic in their execution.

- The wedding storyline. Seemed completely unnecessary to me & the scene with them all outside the chapel in Trinity was the worst scene in the whole series for me.

- The Ingrid storyline. Not sure if some of her scenes were cut out or if she was just there so that we could see Connolly’s execution from her viewpoint. But that storyline didn’t really go anywhere.

- There were not enough scenes of what Dublin looked like in 1916. Early on, we get a great scene of Nelsons Pillar and the viewer probably thought – great, we’ll get to see more of that kind of stuff but it never really happened.

- A scene of the Helga gunboat on the Liffey would have been great. I know nothing about budgets though so I no idea how feasible that would have been

- More in the lead up to the rising in 1914 / 1915. Show the characters interact in normal Dublin life. Show a backdrop to the rising. I was never really convinced about the Jimmy / Elizabeth love story because the only time we properly see them interact was during Easter week. Would have been nice to see them interact at citizen army meetings or something like that. Would have been nice to see a bit more interaction between the 3 female characters too. What did women in their 20’s do in their spare time in 1914 – 1916? I have no idea and it could have been good to see them hang out as friends and discuss various things like how they were getting involved in different movements. Have them talk about why they were involved in the Citizen army instead of the volunteers etc. I’d have much preferred the time spent on Mrs. Hammond & May to have been spent on those type of scenes.

- A little more comedy. Somebody mentioned earlier that the show really missed “Dublin wit” and I have to agree with that. This is somewhere that Strumpet City really trumps Rebellion. There was a scene in Strumpet City where Pat described to Tierney how his dog might have been re-incarnated. Nothing to do with the lockout but it gave a bit of humour and made you care more about the characters. I cant think of any comparable scene in Rebellion. I think Harry may have been intended as a somewhat comical character but if so, failed miserably.

If I was the writer, there is no doubt that I would have approached it differently. However, I would certainly not have gone down the route of introducing more historical characters than we already saw in it. Hobson, the O’Rahilly, Redmond, Dillion, MacNeill, Casement were all important players in how the events of the Rising unfolded but introducing them would just confuse the average viewer.

I can understand why people have some issues with it but I would certainly watch a second season if it was made.

Many good points here, I would agree with a lot of them.

James Connolly was a standout alright, very convincing and I actually thought the Pearse character was excellent.....his natural charisma came across well along with a slight hint of madness.

I agree too that they forgot to include any comedy or light hearted moments and perhaps missed a trick there. I'm sure there must have been many moments of black comedy or Dublin wit throughout the Rising :)

Harry actually grew on me in the end. He did the decent thing in the end and got Minnie off the hook with the police and it looks like he was about to confess stealing the money to his father. I'd like to see a lot more of him in Series 2.

• Advertisement

Many good points here, I would agree with a lot of them.

James Connolly was a standout alright, very convincing and I actually thought the Pearse character was excellent.....his natural charisma came across well along with a slight hint of madness.

I agree too that they forgot to include any comedy or light hearted moments and perhaps missed a trick there. I'm sure there must have been many moments of black comedy or Dublin wit throughout the Rising :)

Harry actually grew on me in the end. He did the decent thing in the end and got Minnie off the hook with the police and it looks like he was about to confess stealing the money to his father. I'd like to see a lot more of him in Series 2.

I'm not sure it was his intention to get her off the hook. He implicated himself whilst doing that and I doubt that he intended that.

I'm not sure it was his intention to get her off the hook. He implicated himself whilst doing that and I doubt that he intended that.

Of course, his main interest as ever was No.1 but he did get her out of trouble nonetheless and she lives to fight another day (even though it was he who wrongly implicated her in the first place).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Double post.

I thought that last episode was excellent. Bar the brother doing his stupid laugh at the end and the slow-mo reunion (kind of) of Liz and Jimmy there was not a single thing I'd have changed about it.

There was far more character development/exposition in that episode than in the rest of the series. Slight problem that it came at the end rather than at the start or evenly doled out throughout the episodes. That's the problem with having a massive historical event at the centre though.

Frances' character made perfect sense once we had a clearer view of her upbringing, her motivations and actions throughout Easter week and in the lead up made sense too. The conversation between Mr and Mrs Butler shone a bit of light on Elizabeth and even the scene between mother and son gave a clearer view as to how Elizabeth, and even Harry, ended up where they did. God help me but I even found Harry incredibly entertaining throughout that episode. The thought of him being head of the family and maybe even a bank is too much to think about. :)

May's affair with Hammond even turned out to have some plot relevance. She could have stolen the file based on her job alone so the affair being her way out of trouble was an interesting way to go.

An excellent choice choosing Connolly's execution as the only one to (kind of) show. A dying man tied to a chair so he could be shot... well, it sums up the reaction of the British perfectly.

I thought the stuff with Dev was very well done too. They've set it up nicely for future conflict, if there's a second series. Jimmy's reaction to Dev showing how some involved in the fighting weren't fans. The other soldier telling him that there was a feeling they should all rally behind Dev now and warning him that some men were already fully behind him to the point of threatening to kill anyone who spoke against him sets up the future divide perfectly.

May's story could carry on too. Her way out of trouble will fall flat on it's arse when she comes back to a country where British rule is on it's death bed. She's given away her child for the promise of a better life which may not materialise.

I know there was a lot of criticism for the woman playing Arthur's wife but I thought her scene with the priest was excellent. He's preaching one thing at her and then practicing another. The scene with the Bishop too was good. They've done a great job of showing the control the church had over the people and how the higher ups were more concerned with keeping that control than anything else.

Also a brilliant touch to have the locals cheering the Rebels onto the boats when last week they were jeering them into the jails. Shows how fickle public opinion was at the time and how easily, and quickly, public opinion was swayed as a result of the British reaction. Harry laughing at them having to sneak Asquith up to Belfast after the public turned on him was a nice touch too.

Felt bad for George too, the divide between future Rep. of Ireland and future Northern Ireland already starting to show a bit.

All in all, while it was far from perfect, viewing it as a whole now it's finished I think it was a pretty decent mini series. The things they got right outweighed the negatives, I thought, and if there's a second series which wouldn't be weighed down with 1)public expectation and 2)a week long armed rebellion at the centre of it, with a few little tweeks here and there, there is potential for a really strong character driven look at another, arguably more important, period of Irish history.

I would have liked to have seen this too but if you think about the logistics of it it was probably impossible.

1 - where do they find an historically accurate gunboat to use? Do they have to build one? All pricey.

2- the landscape of the city along the Liffey is, I imagine, utterly changed from what it was in 1916. Very difficult to get a shot worth having without having to rely heavily on CGI to make it look good. Again, I assume, pricey.

3 - I don't think any of the characters were in locations along the river that would have been within it's range, I could be wrong. But in order to include it in any way that was worth spending the money on the shot they would have had to change something or add more characters/locations to what we saw on the program.

I know we're not supposed to get too into history but as I was looking it up there it seems that the gunboat wasn't actually that involved in events and only fired about 40 rounds in all and some of the men even refused to fire at all. So in one way I suppose if you're just talking story line wise they could have had a character on the boat rather than having a load of characters in Boland's Mill. In terms of putting it on screen though I'd imagine it would still be too difficult technically speaking and/or too costly.

Of course, his main interest as ever was No.1 but he did get her out of trouble nonetheless and she lives to fight another day (even though it was he who wrongly implicated her in the first place).

He tried to get Elizabeth off the hook. That's why he was bribing Steve Wall. Is that the bit you're talking about? He asked him to withdraw his statement against Lizzy.

He got Minnie off the hook by pretending his father had misplaced the money and withdrawing the report.

I thought that last episode was excellent. Bar the brother doing his stupid laugh at the end and the slow-mo reunion (kind of) of Liz and Jimmy there was not a single thing I'd have changed about it.

There was far more character development/exposition in that episode than in the rest of the series. Slight problem that it came at the end rather than at the start or evenly doled out throughout the episodes. That's the problem with having a massive historical event at the centre though.

Frances' character made perfect sense once we had a clearer view of her upbringing, her motivations and actions throughout Easter week and in the lead up made sense too. The conversation between Mr and Mrs Butler shone a bit of light on Elizabeth and even the scene between mother and son gave a clearer view as to how Elizabeth, and even Harry, ended up where they did. God help me but I even found Harry incredibly entertaining throughout that episode. The thought of him being head of the family and maybe even a bank is too much to think about. :)

May's affair with Hammond even turned out to have some plot relevance. She could have stolen the file based on her job alone so the affair being her way out of trouble was an interesting way to go.

An excellent choice choosing Connolly's execution as the only one to (kind of) show. A dying man tied to a chair so he could be shot... well, it sums up the reaction of the British perfectly.

I thought the stuff with Dev was very well done too. They've set it up nicely for future conflict, if there's a second series. Jimmy's reaction to Dev showing how some involved in the fighting weren't fans. The other soldier telling him that there was a feeling they should all rally behind Dev now and warning him that some men were already fully behind him to the point of threatening to kill anyone who spoke against him sets up the future divide perfectly.

May's story could carry on too. Her way out of trouble will fall flat on it's arse when she comes back to a country where British rule is on it's death bed. She's given away her child for the promise of a better life which may not materialise.

I know there was a lot of criticism for the woman playing Arthur's wife but I thought her scene with the priest was excellent. He's preaching one thing at her and then practicing another. The scene with the Bishop too was good. They've done a great job of showing the control the church had over the people and how the higher ups were more concerned with keeping that control than anything else.

Also a brilliant touch to have the locals cheering the Rebels onto the boats when last week they were jeering them into the jails. Shows how fickle public opinion was at the time and how easily, and quickly, public opinion was swayed as a result of the British reaction. Harry laughing at them having to sneak Asquith up to Belfast after the public turned on him was a nice touch too.

Felt bad for George too, the divide between future Rep. of Ireland and future Northern Ireland already starting to show a bit.

All in all while it was far from perfect viewing it as a whole now it's finished I think it was a pretty decent mini series. The things they got right outweighed the negatives, I thought, and if there's a second series which wouldn't be weighed down with 1)public expectation and 2)a week long armed rebellion at the centre of it, with a few little tweeks here and there, there is potential for a really strong character driven look at another, arguably more important, period of Irish history.

I thought it was a fine episode too. It was one that went strongest on characterisation (and was denounced for this on social media by the usual keyboard warriors saying it was "Fair City meets Downton Abbey").

It's easy to see where Elizabeth gets her beliefs from. Her mother realises that the British response is crazy and over the top even though she is an Anglo Irish Protestant herself.

May's decision to go to accept Mr Hammond's terms and go to England seems sensible at least. The alternative of handing herself over to the police would have resulted in complete ruination for her, certainly in the short term anyway.

They quite cleverly managed to get both Dev and Collins into the same episode. Dev throwing up was even plausible : he was very cerebral and was no bloodthirsty soldier.

I found myself warming to Harry last night. We got the first signs that he wasn't all bad......he's selfish and self obsessed certainly but there's a touch of a likeable rogue about him.

I would have liked to have seen this too but if you think about the logistics of it it was probably impossible.

1 - where do they find an historically accurate gunboat to use? Do they have to build one? All pricey.

2- the landscape of the city along the Liffey is, I imagine, utterly changed from what it was in 1916. Very difficult to get a shot worth having without having to rely heavily on CGI to make it look good. Again, I assume, pricey.

3 - I don't think any of the characters were in locations along the river that would have been within it's range, I could be wrong. But in order to include it in any way that was worth spending the money on the shot they would have had to change something or add more characters/locations to what we saw on the program.

Yeah I'd assume it'd have to be cgi and like I said, I've no idea about budgets. So maybe it wasn't feasible and I don't really mean it as a criticism. Was just something I'd liked to have seen.

He tried to get Elizabeth off the hook. That's why he was bribing Steve Wall. Is that the bit you're talking about? He asked him to withdraw his statement against Lizzy.

He got Minnie off the hook by pretending his father had misplaced the money and withdrawing the report.

No, I was talking about the incident where he tells Coleman that his father was all mixed up and that no money had been stolen in fact (thus inadvertently clearing Minnie's name).

From what I can see, Coleman pocketed the bribe and did nothing to help Elizabeth.

• Advertisement

May's decision to go to accept Mr Hammond's terms and go to England seems sensible at least. The alternative of handing herself over to the police would have resulted in complete ruination for her, certainly in the short term anyway.

I found myself warming to Harry last night. We got the first signs that he wasn't all bad......he's selfish and self obsessed certainly but there's a touch of a likeable rogue about him.

May might have been looking at how Frances turned out and thought well, at least I'd know where my baby was going if I give it to the Hammonds. She'd have been thrown in jail and her baby would have been taken from her as soon as it was born, if it survived, and who knows where it would have ended up then.

For me the problem with Harry was I think he was supposed to be a charming rogue. Sure he's a pain in the bum but he's so lovable everyone tolerates him. The actor playing him just couldn't get the charming bit right. He just came across as annoying. In last night's episode though, in the quieter moments, he was alright.
    Yeah I'd assume it'd have to be cgi and like I said, I've no idea about budgets. So maybe it wasn't feasible and I don't really mean it as a criticism. Was just something I'd liked to have seen.

Purely as a spectacle, I agree, it would have been great to see it.

Advertisement