Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 RTE Drama: Rebellion - no spoilers please (mod warning in post #1)

Options
1646566676870»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good news, confirmed today that Rebellion is returning to RTE : Series 2 will be called "Resistance" and set during the War of Independence. It's expected to go into production soon.

By the sounds of things, the plan is to have a trilogy of series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Did they mention if it's same characters or different ones? I saw a couple of the girls have been cast in different things since.

^ Did they mention if it's same characters or different ones? I saw a couple of the girls have been cast in different things since.

It seems to be the exact same drama as the previous one with just a different title for Series 2, so I'm reading it as the return of May, Frances, Elizabeth, Arthur, Jimmy etc.

There was talk even before Rebellion aired of it being a trilogy and that seems to be coming to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Strazdas wrote: »
    It seems to be the exact same drama as the previous one with just a different title for Series 2, so I'm reading it as the return of May, Frances, Elizabeth, Arthur, Jimmy etc.

There was talk even before Rebellion aired of it being a trilogy and that seems to be coming to pass.

Probably series 1 is 1916 with 2 the war of independence and 3 the civil war and beyond.

Probably series 1 is 1916 with 2 the war of independence and 3 the civil war and beyond.

That was the original suggestion indeed, that it would cover Irish history from 1916 up to about 1922 or so in three series.

Good to see it back anyway. It received a lot of criticism but maybe they'll take that on board and iron out the cracks, many a drama has improved from the first series to the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just watching this on Netflix at the mo. Interesting in that it has original Netflix splashed all over it with not even a credit to RTE. I only made it to page 10 of this humungous thread but thought it was a great series. I don't know why so many felt it was ****e by the end.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Just watching this on Netflix at the mo. Interesting in that it has original Netflix splashed all over it with not even a credit to RTE. I only made it to page 10 of this humungous thread but thought it was a great series. I don't know why so many felt it was ****e by the end.

Rebellion was no masterpiece or stunning television but it was fine and perfectly watchable. Some of the criticism seemed way over the top, especially from the TV critics. Certainly, it had its flaws but loads of new drama series have such flaws as well....there's only a small number that get universal praise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

For a show that was rubbish, it's had far more posts on Boards.ie than any other 1916 related TV programme this year (by a considerable distance).

People still scratching their heads as to the amount of money thrown at it and the amount of garbage written about it in the media "x learned far more about Irish History from this programme they did at { Christian Brothers school dig) " people like those idiots should be humiliated

Just because something has a huge discussion dedicated to it, does not mean that it is good. 1916 related mattes will always stir up conversation

What other "1916 related TV programme this year" was there this year that got the type of publicity and funding that Rebellion got?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Good to see it back anyway. It received a lot of criticism but maybe they'll take that on board and iron out the cracks, many a drama has improved from the first series to the second.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Just watching this on Netflix at the mo. Interesting in that it has original Netflix splashed all over it with not even a credit to RTE.

They do this on a lot of content, UK/USA. I don't understand why myself given it had been made by TV stations and not by them. Unless they outright bought the rights to show it for life like their own content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Just watching this on Netflix at the mo. Interesting in that it has original Netflix splashed all over it with not even a credit to RTE.

They do this on a lot of content, UK/USA. I don't understand why myself given it had been made by TV stations and not by them. Unless they outright bought the rights to show it for life like their own content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I just checked that on the Netflix site since I was surprise they'd be allowed to flag it as a Netflix Original, especially since it had backing from the Sundance Channel in the USA.

Netflix have the 'Global Original' distribution rights for everywhere except Ireland, USA and Finland.

It wasn't made by RTE - it was made by an independent production company (or a couple of them, I think), commissioned by RTE. It's fairly normal in those situations for RTE only to have broadcast rights for the island of Ireland and the other rights to be sold off.

Advertisement