Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish traditional cookbook

Options
  • 27-11-2015 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all!

Just few weeks ago, I've moved to Ireland. As I'm from Croatia, and that means mediterian cuisine, there is a lot of new deliciousies, flavors and styles to try :)
    But, mothers come first, and as it is "that time of year", I would like to treat my mom with some nice cookbook of Irish traditional recipies. Please, recommendations?
    Also, I would like to throw in some xmas special's magazines with recipies of traditional xmas desserts, cakes, cookies...

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

All in the Cooking! It was the Home Ec text for my mum's secondary school back in the day, and it's back :) Has some really basic but really tasty recipes, covers all the trad Irish fare.

Another: a book my mum (again!) received last Christmas was the Book of Tea and Company, by the Irish Countrywomen's Association, where members of the ICA share their versions of dinners, desserts etc, it's really lovey, little poems & stories & great pictures.

As to magazines, I think we get Good housekeeping? At Christmas. Funnily enough, I really like the free magazines the supermarkets bring out this time of year eg Tesco, Supervalue, full not only of the fare they're selling but recipes and Christmassy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dejanp

Book of Tea... is one I did check a bit in one bookstore but didn't want to buy until consulting the board :)

Thnx and keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

The home economics cookery books for the junior and leaving cert have loads of traditional Irish recipes in them, as well as stuff like curry and lasagne.
    They are not that expensive and are handy for simple dinner ideas.
    She might like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

We have all of Marjorie's kitchen too.. wonder if you can still get those! You'll not be left wanting for a recipe for soda bread or bacon & cabbage or boxty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The original Ballymaloe cookbook that launched the brand
    https://www.gillmacmillanbooks.ie/cookery/cookery/the-ballymaloe-cookbook-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

We have this one-
    51AsfbfKxyL._UY250_.jpg

Always revert back to it, despite many other cookbooks in the house. Also have a few of the 'Simply Delicious' range by the same author. (Meals in Minutes, Versatile Vegetables & a couple of other ones with no names- one has a grey cover, the other one is blue)

Advertisement