Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity & Gas disconnected in new home

Options
  • 27-11-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for some help/advice here.

Today my partner & I collected the keys to the new home from the estate agent. When we let ourselves in, we found that the house was without electricity and gas which wasn't the case upon inspection a few weeks ago.

Okay no big deal, I thought - I have the MRPN number and GRPN numbers that we received from the estate agent and will simply switch our Energia dual account from my rented accommodation to the house.

We're both deaf, so I asked a friend to ring up Energia on my behalf to request the switch and provided him with all the necessary details. After he got off the phone, he said that they were asking for €79 to reconnect the electricity and that it would take at least one week minimum to do so. (Given We're current Energia customers that have never fallen into arrears, I find it hard to swallow that we're having to fork out 79e). Furthermore he told me that that they were having difficulty matching the GPRN provided with the address and that I would have to phone Bord Gais. Unfortunately my friend had to go and this phone call wasn't possible.

Anyhow given that we're vacating our rented accommodation on Monday to move into the house completely, is there anything at all that can be done to expedite the connection of electricity?! And is it par for the course to have to pay a connection fee of €79?

Any help would be much appreciated, we're dreading living in the house now next week without electricity and gas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should be able to get electricity reconnected much faster than that. I presume you don't live in the middle of nowhere.

Because of your disability you are eligible to be on the special services register. Whether this will help or not is debatable but I think it might give you some priority and you might get a Networks appointment that comes available for cancellation. Also, the network technician will be aware of your disability.

You may need to be present when electricity is reconnected or 're-energised' to use the jargon. Check this.

You are stuck with paying the charge. It is a charge passed on from ESB Networks.

I would talk to another supplier if energia can't make it work any faster.

Gas takes a bit longer, maybe allow a week. If you stick with the existing gas supplier for the house it will be done faster.

You need to get a photo of the gas meter that clearly shows the meter serial no and reading. Then ring one of the gas suppliers.

Also let your solicitor know that this has happened even though there will be little they can do about it. It was very remiss of the vendor to allow the electricity get cut off at the coldest time of the year. It should be ok because the weather has been mild, but overnight freezing can cause a lot of damage to plumbing.

Good luck with your new home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

As far as I know, it's a standard fee to the technicians who will be doing the reconnection (paid through your provider) and the customer's history doesn't have a bearing on it.

But still, definitely check into all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Today my partner & I collected the keys to the new home from the estate agent. When we let ourselves in, we found that the house was without electricity and gas which wasn't the case upon inspection a few weeks ago.
    Did you buy or rent?

If you bought, check the implications for your insurance.

If you are renting, there may be an obligation to have the service connected. Read the standards here: http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/PrivateRentedHousing/#Rented

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Hi

Just a quick note to say that after a few emails back n forth between my partner and Energia, the electricity was reconnected on Tuesday afternoon so happy days.

Thanks to all that posted, much appreciated!

Advertisement