Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films whose sequel you are surprised were never made?

• 27-11-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

I remember watching, Tinker tailor solider spy, made in 2011 and thinking this was the best ever ensemble of British actors in one film. A very good movie. A movie written based on the works of a very popular and esteemed writer. It was book one of three. A movie that won all the British Oscars and which was a box office smash hit .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Thelma and Louise 2.

The movie opens with an older Thelma and Louise, prison buddies. Flashback scene shows that when the car went over the edge, it dropped to a ledge 15 feet below, and both ladies survived the fall. A court case later and both are locked up together in women's prison.

Through a series of unfortunate circumstances, Louise finds herself facing an unlocked door when a prison guard is stabbed during a riot and she runs before she can think about it. She manages to get Thelma free too and together they run into the night, car jack a motor cyclist, and away they go......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ET 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

sxt wrote: »
    I remember watching, Tinker tailor solider spy, made in 2011 and thinking this was the best ever ensemble of British actors in one film. A very good movie. A movie written based on the works of a very popular and esteemed writer. It was book one of three. A movie that won all the British Oscars and which was a box office smash hit .

It was a very good film, but the original BBC made for TV mini series was far better, and it (the TV mini series) had a sequel, Smileys People.

From Wikipedia, there is a suggestion that Smileys People may be remade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley%27s_People#Possible_cinema_version
    Following the success of the 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy film, Gary Oldman, who plays George Smiley in the film, has stated that there is a strong possibility that a sequel will be made. During the 2012 Academy Awards he told the press that Smiley's People would be the most likely sequel. If so, it will mean that the cinema series will skip The Honourable Schoolboy, just as the BBC did in its serialisation of the "Karla Trilogy" in the early 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

District 9 well set up for a sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

It was a very good film, but the original BBC made for TV mini series was far better, and it (the TV mini series) had a sequel, Smileys People.

Yes I heard that it was very good and that Alec Guinness is great in the role. I 'm just reading the books now.
    I saw an interview with Gary Oldman in late 2014 and they were talking about possibly remaking smileys people as a TV series but they needed 26 million. I presume that is dead in the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Judge Dredd (latest one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i thought they should of been a waynes world 3 and a hellboy 3

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

ET 2

I actually resent Spielberg a little bit for not making a sequel after all these years .
    Then again maybe he's waiting till he only has one movie left in him to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

sxt wrote: »

I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult to turn the books into a film.

Frankly Tinker Tailor Solider Spy is a miraculous film that it managed to fit everything in a 2 hour run time and managed to be complex while at the same time not overly confusing.It's a really brilliant film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Smiley's people is probably the best of the 3 novels.I think it had the best balance of story, atmosphere and character.

The Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy film is much better than the TV series.It did everything the TV series managed but in 2 hours rather than 5.Also the acting in the film is incredibly good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Big Trouble in Little China 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

deco nate wrote: »
    Big Trouble in Little China 2

Getting a remake starring the rock apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Judge Dredd (latest one)

I remember signing an online petition in support of that being made a year or two ago. Not heard of any movement since though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Frynge wrote: »

that would be a remake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Firefly (or "Serenity" in the cinema) should have continued on another season or at least a sequel movie.
    Yes it was very wild west meets Star Trek or Riddick but it was down to earth enough to comprehend on a not so distant futuristic sci-fi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Flash Gordon set up a sequel and it would have been cool to see a sequel to Unbreakable. (Although Shylamamanananadingdong never intended it to have a sequel)

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

+1 Dread, thought it was class, captured the comic's vibe bang on(the stallone one was utter tripe) There's plenty of material there for a sequel or two.

There's a a couple of other strips from the late 80's/early 90's 2000 a.d comics that'd make class movies imo.

The sky surfer is one(was fascinated with that as a kid, really brutal stuff, probably a bit young to be reading it tbh)

Rogue trooper is another, I thought I heard something about there being a script floating around or it maybe going into production a while back but haven't heard anything else. Shame if not, we'll deserves a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (the Martin Freeman one): sure it was flawed, but it was set up for a sequel. It didn't do too badly in the box office either, so I figured a sequel (Restaurant At The end Of The Universe, anyone?) would happen.

Starsky & Hutch 2 (the Ben Stiller one). Would've been fun, they got the spirit of it just right and the period detail was great.

Spinal Tap 2 - since 1992, there could've been a "follow up" movie, showing a REALLY passe metal band trying to make it in a grunge dominated landscape. Maybe Tap "go grunge". That might have been funny.

Skerries wrote: »
    that would be a remake

Actually it would be an adaptation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Annoyed that the so called sequel to 30 Days of Night went straight to did and was apparently ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Getting a remake starring the rock apparently.

The original was a great laugh, but a box office failure. I'm okay with the idea of a remake starring The Rock though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Frynge wrote: »

Agreed, I adore David Fincher's version and would love to see him do the other two.

Daniel Craig was apparenlty contracted to do the other two but supposedly the first one wasn't a big success commercially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Gremlins 3

There was a rumour a year ago but haven't heard since, let's hope they avoid cgi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Unbreakable. (M Night Shyamalan), it was a great superhero origin storey, would have loved to have seen more.

Roger Rabbit 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Event Horizon (sequel on where the ship went )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

py2006 wrote: »
    Gremlins 3

There was a rumour a year ago but haven't heard since, let's hope they avoid cgi

http://m.etonline.com/movies/176981_gremlins_3_is_happening_and_it_won_t_be_a_remake/

The dude who played Billy is 51 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Off the top of my head.

Elf
    Bad Santa
    Cloverfield
    The incredibles

There's one more I always thought should of got a sequel but can't remember. It was supposed to but the budget for it would have exceeded profits most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Salt
    Swordfish
    True lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RocknRolla

Smokin' Aces - actually, they did Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball - did anyone see it?

Oh, I presume we are getting a Pirates of the Carribean trilogy in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, the bloody thing was teed up perfectly for a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

The Golden Compass

Was very disappointed that the sequel didn't get made and as it involved a child star, cannot be easily remade at a later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Off the top of my head.

Elf
    Bad Santa
    Cloverfield
    The incredibles

There's one more I always thought should of got a sequel but can't remember. It was supposed to but the budget for it would have exceeded profits most likely.

Bad Santa 2 is due to go into production very shortly and Pixar have announced a release date for Incredibles 2... so only Elf and Cloverfield to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Spinal Tap 2 - since 1992, there could've been a "follow up" movie, showing a REALLY passe metal band trying to make it in a grunge dominated landscape. Maybe Tap "go grunge". That might have been funny.

That actually happened, it's called The Return of Spinal Tap. It's mostly a concert film but there's in-character interviews and stuff in there too.

I always wished there would have been a role-reversed sequel to The Hard Way, I might be alone in that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dredd definitely deserved a sequel.

I would of loved a sequel to the recent Tron movie. It was actually in the works before Disney decided to focus on poxy awful cash cows like another pirates movie and the likes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Skerries wrote: »
    that would be a remake

The sequel to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the Girl who Played with Fire. Rooney Mara was interviewed some time back and said as far as she knew, the sequel wasn't on the cards.

The book was a bit of a mess and the Swedish movie as a result was poor also. Shame really.
    True lies

Totally!
    Swordfish

Christ no!

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Turtle001 wrote: »
    The Golden Compass

Was very disappointed that the sequel didn't get made and as it involved a child star, cannot be easily remade at a later date.

I agree, it was quite a good film, the source material is very good. The kid that played lyra was excellent I thought. Is a shame that the sequel wasn't followed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Turtle001 wrote: »
    The Golden Compass

I was just about to write this too! I think it just came out at a bad time.. Harry Potter was probably at fever pitch at the time, taking a summer slot. The Golden Compass came out at Christmas when it probably would have been more suited to summer.
    On top of that I didn't think the films worked well at all - bar the actress who played Lyra.. she was perfect for it. The CGI was too glossy.
    The ending to the book - possibly the best part - was ripped out to attach it onto the end start of the second film, The Subtle Knife. Which already had an amazing opening. Bizarre decision all round.

Good news is I just read this
    BBC One today announces the commission of a new drama series based on Philip Pullman’s epic fantasy trilogy of novels, His Dark Materials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Victor wrote: »

I quite liked that, I seem to remember Mark Strong's character being sort of set up for a sequel? I also enjoyed Revolver, and thought they could've done more with that.

I think though that the world had tired of the "Guy Ritchie gangster movie" so it probably wasn't an appealing proposition for studios at the time. I'm hoping he does another one in this style (Snatch is a classic) but Man From UNCLE didn't exactly blow up commerically so he may have some ground to make up before he can do what he wants (though the Sherlock Holmes movies at least give him some commerical clout).

Man From UNCLE didn't exactly blow up commerically

Which is a shame because I would LOVE to see a few sequels to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bad Santa 2 is due to go into production very shortly...

have a feeling this is gonna be crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Suprised there was never a kindergarden cop 2 or commando 2 made by arnie

ricero wrote: »
    Suprised there was never a kindergarden cop 2 or commando 2 made by arnie

There's a Kindergarten Cop 2 being made as we speak, though it's with Dolph Lundgren, not Arnold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I always thought Police Academy warranted a sequel.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I always thought Police Academy warranted a sequel.

The remake will probably get one. Then we'll finally find out what happens next. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BobbyDublin

Yep - can't see how the Bad Santa sequel can carry off the same dark humour and edginess

Yep - can't see how the Bad Santa sequel can carry off the same dark humour and edginess

It's got Kathy Bates as his mother, I'm sure there's plenty to be done with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement