Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films whose sequel you are surprised were never made?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Victor wrote: »
    RocknRolla

Smokin' Aces - actually, they did Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball - did anyone see it?

Oh, I presume we are getting a Pirates of the Carribean trilogy in the next 5 years.

I've seen it. Probably one of the few who have. Bears no relation to the first. Might as well be a standalone film. Totally bonkers though and a good watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I can't understand why Back To The Future Three didn't get a sequel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I can't understand why Back To The Future Three didn't get a sequel...

That'd be Back To The Future 4 ?

because they told the story. There was nowhere left to go in terms of plot or character development.

There were rumours a couple of years ago that Universal wanted to reboot it starring Zac Efron, but then he went out of popularity & Zemeckis & Gale had it written into their wills that permission to reboot or create another sequel could never be given.

Thankfully. Some movies should never be rebooted/remade/sequelised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

OU812 wrote: »
    Zemeckis & Gale had it written into their wills that permission to reboot or create another sequel could never be given.

Thankfully. Some movies should never be rebooted/remade/sequelised

I think they said that their children could give permission once they have passed away. Not entirely sure, but I think one of them said it around the time of the recent anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Came onto this thread to say Rocknrolla

First film was entertaining with enough going for it to warrant a sequel. Tom Hardy and Idris Elba are twice as big of starts now than they were then, and Butler, love him or hate him has always done well.

If they made this now, it would be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

That'd be Back To The Future 4 ?

because they told the story. There was nowhere left to go in terms of plot or character development.

Oh, I didn't realise there was a one & two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Turtle001 wrote: »
    The Golden Compass

Was very disappointed that the sequel didn't get made and as it involved a child star, cannot be easily remade at a later date.

I would love to see His Dark Materials get the trilogy treatment it deserves - I thought the Golden Compass was just okay - thought they made it a bit too childish and benign - mind you the cgi on the bears was excellent and the young actress was spot on. Did not like either Daniel Craig or Nicole Kidman in their roles. I think they were just trying to cash in at the time - it's one for the future perhaps - let's face it the first attempt at The Lord of The Rings didn't exactly hit the mark either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hobo with a shotgun would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

allibastor wrote: »
    Hobo with a shotgun would be good

Considering
    he dies at the end
    you couldn't really do a sequel. Best to leave it as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

That'd be Back To The Future 4 ?......

....Forward to the Past?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Close Encounters and ET. Spielberg wanted to make a sequel of sorts 'Nocturnal Fears' which would have completed his alien trilogy of Close Encounters and ET.

This time, the aliens would be baddies. He dropped the idea and made another Indiana Jones movie instead. War of the Worlds was kind of finishing his alien trilogy, but we never got Nocturnal Fears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Kev W wrote: »
    Considering
    he dies at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Speaking of Gremlins 3:
    Speaking to IGN, Galligan (Billy) suggested a Godzilla-sized Gremlin for the story, "one that bursts out of London knocking over Big Ben and stuff like that".

Good Lord..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Drumpot wrote: »
    Dredd definitely deserved a sequel.

I would of loved a sequel to the recent Tron movie. It was actually in the works before Disney decided to focus on poxy awful cash cows like another pirates movie and the likes!

You know I watched Tron and really liked it, and then watched it against recently and was like, ****ing hell this is really enjoyable. Was wondering why there wasn't something done on it.

Dredd is definitely one that sticks out immediately. Not really sure why it did poorly in the cinema (I believe it did). I know I didn't go myself as there was no 2D options available near me, and I only do 2D. Copy came out online and I was blown away by it.

A real favourite on my bluray shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭slogging...it

The last airbender really enjoyed it even.tho I seen it took some slating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet (or maybe there was one that I'm not aware of) but what about a Godzilla sequel.

The one with Matthew Broderick. Loved that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Considering
    he dies at the end

That film was so mad and crazy you could easily have him resuscitated by a mad electric shock from a power line, spend a day in the hospital after surgery, hop back onto his feet and off he'd go :p

At least I think he just got shot at the end wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Turtle001 wrote: »
    The Golden Compass

Was very disappointed that the sequel didn't get made and as it involved a child star, cannot be easily remade at a later date.
    I have to say that didn't surpise me, since I've read all three books, and wondered whether the producers had read them! The Amber Spyglass in particular contains some concepts and incidents that would not go down well in some "core markets" (such as parts of the USA). The book was already censored for the US market.

I'm still wondering why Brad Bird never got to make The Incredibles 2, and so is Samuel L Jackson. "I keep asking the guys at Pixar why we didn’t make The Incredibles 2. And nobody can tell me. Personally I think they raised the bar so high that they are worried about making one that’s not as good as the first one."

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

the happening : France

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

trixychic wrote: »
    Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet (or maybe there was one that I'm not aware of) but what about a Godzilla sequel.

The one with Matthew Broderick. Loved that movie.

That one was pretty universally loathed so it's not that surprising that they never followed it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

That one was pretty universally loathed so it's not that surprising that they never followed it up.

That and Lost In Space (the Matt Le Blanc one)!

Not getting the love for Dredd; I thought it was... dreadful (sorry) even though I like the character and Keith Urban.

Tron Legacy though, that was good, though I can see why it might have stalled and not gone into another film. Where could they take it? The little Tron dudes running around the real world? Wouldn't have been the same. It might have gone all Matrix Reloaded.

bnt wrote: »

I'm still wondering why Brad Bird never got to make The Incredibles 2, and so is Samuel L Jackson. "I keep asking the guys at Pixar why we didn’t make The Incredibles 2. And nobody can tell me. Personally I think they raised the bar so high that they are worried about making one that’s not as good as the first one."

He's making it. 2019 release I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

He's making it. 2019 release I believe
    Yay! Now, who's surprised they didn't make the planned sequel to Showgirls? The first movie ends with Nomi returning to Los Angeles, which was supposed to lead in to Bimbos: Nomi Does Hollywood. :eek:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"Striptease 2 - The Reckoning"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    I want to find out what happened to Chief Bromden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

biko wrote: »

Yeah was thinking of this one yesterday. Itd actually be an interesting one to revisit so many years later to see what happened all the characters - obviously McMurphy had no future but did any of the others manage to regain good mental health?

biko wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking of this one yesterday. Itd actually be an interesting one to revisit so many years later to see what happened all the characters - obviously McMurphy had no future but did any of the others manage to regain good mental health?

Would work quite well as a TV show

Really??? Didn't know that. Everyone I know loved that movie. Ha ha

trixychic wrote: »
    Really??? Didn't know that. Everyone I know loved that movie. Ha ha

Always thought it was a bit marmite-y - people seem to love it or hate it.

I was in the latter group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

So much love for Dredd, I thought it was rubbish but sure taste is subjective :)

This is a stupid idea, especially as there is no book source for it, but a sequel to the Commitments around 25 years later to see what became of their careers. They all get back together and it's magical again until they bate lumps out of each other and Joey gets to say "This way its poetry"

What would be really interesting would be the contrast in Dublin then and now it was a different country and Dublin, to be fair, a total kip!

• Advertisement

So much love for Dredd, I thought it was rubbish but sure taste is subjective :)

This is a stupid idea, especially as there is no book source for it, but a sequel to the Commitments around 25 years later to see what became of their careers. They all get back together and it's magical again until they bate lumps out of each other and Joey gets to say "This way its poetry"

What would be really interesting would be the contrast in Dublin then and now it was a different country and Dublin, to be fair, a total kip!

Dredd was appalling imo.

There is a book source - The Guts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Dredd was appalling imo.

Wow, just google that there, I had no idea, thought Barrytown was locked down! One for my reading list...

Wow, just google that there, I had no idea, thought Barrytown was locked down! One for my reading list...

Im hoping Santa knows to bring it to me ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Dredd was appalling imo.

Nah, it was a bit flawed to be sure(cgi blood was pretty crappie) but it got the atmosphere of the comic pretty much bang on.

Must read that, love roddy doyle(Paddy Clarke ha ha ha and the women who walked into doors were eye openers at 11\12ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭George White

py2006 wrote: »
    Roger Rabbit 2

They planned a prequel, Toon Platoon about the cartoons being enlisted to fight in the Second World War, a la John Wayne.

I had an idea for a sequel which would begin with Eddie Valliant, now undercover as a cartoon (to make up for the absence of Hoskins) being lured back to Hollywood out of Toontown after twenty odd years. And everything's changed. He's such a fossil he hasn't realised that most of the Toon Town stars of the Golden Era are retired, living off merchandise and rerun royalties, or considered too expensive. And all the new stars are cheaply-animated TV actors, ie the Hanna-Barbera types. And even the film stars are cheaper, i.e. the cheap TV-style animation of 70s Disney, i.e. Robin Hood, reusing the same animation from years prior.
    Then in the first fifteen minutes, Eddie is murdered, his human skin showing through a knife in his back, ripping through the ink. He struggles back, as he dies. He drops dead on the Maroon Cartoons lot, at a trailer, owner - Roger Rabbit.
    It would have a new Dirty Harry-type LA cop, who would be a fan of the old cartoons, but hate these new Scooby-Doo type "punks", who plays patty-cake with ageing starlets of yesteryear, and the two would go on searching for Eddie's murderer.

I also had an idea for Gremlins - the prequel.
    It would be set in the same universe, but instead of Kingston Falls, it would begin in the 1930s, in New York. A British businessman, Herbert Winslow is in Manhattan, looking for a bargain to give to his fiancée. He meets a market stall holder, a young Chinese man, who is in fact a young Mr.Wing. He gives him a box, a huge ornamental gold Chinese chest. Unbeknownst to Mr. Wing, there is a fur ball lodged inside. Winslow has it shipped to England, where the furball pops out. It is a small Mogwai. Cecily, Winslow's fiancée is scared off by the pest, and Winslow tries to drown it. He leaves in the local pond, where it rises, to reveal more Mogwai. A few months later, World War Two has been declared, and Winslow's house is now the site of a USAF base. Winslow and Cecily have married and moved to Mexico, and Memphis Belle-style, the heroes would be a group of United States Air Force pilots, on a bomber, including a teen who's lied about his age, Murray Futterman, the Dick Miller character in the original films. It would be a basic adaptation of the myths of Gremlins attacking planes, as they fly over Germany. The Mogwai are still furry, but a bit more feral, until they are found by a Nazi scientist who mutates them into true Gremlins. Then, Mr. Wing would have to go to Europe and help the Allies capture the Gremlins. It would be similar to Zone Troopers (1986), where US soldiers in WW2 encounter aliens.

Flash Gordon was supposed to be the first in a trilogy, but the film barely made its budget in the US, but was a massive hit in Britain/Ireland. Partly because it was made in Britain with British cast, British director, etc. But partly because it is the nearest thing to a cinematic panto we have ever gotten.

I wish they would make a hulk. One with Mark gruffalo. The other 2 were s**t!!!

Snipped Roger Rabbit Sequel

Snipped Gremlins Prequel

You put an awful lot of thought into them. To be honest, they both sound totally doable & you've got the pitch just about right. I'd watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Commando, That was a really fun film. Commando 2 sullys revenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whither Battlefield New York?

Commando, That was a really fun film. Commando 2 sullys revenge

The sequel became Die Hard.
    Well, Die Hard was intended as a sequel to the Detective, the Frank Sinatra movie, as it was based on a book in the same series, but Sinatra retired, and then they thought they could retool it for John Matrix, the Arnie character in Commando. Arnie turned it down ,and Matrix became McClane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well, Die Hard was intended as a sequel to the Detective, the Frank Sinatra movie, as it was based on a book in the same series, but Sinatra retired, and then they thought they could retool it for John Matrix, the Arnie character in Commando. Arnie turned it down ,and Matrix became McClane.

And the lethal weapon sequel became Die Hard with a Vengeance. Hollywood is weird that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Ferris Bueller deserved a sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Fifth Element - thought that might have got a sequel but never did.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    And the lethal weapon sequel became Die Hard with a Vengeance. Hollywood is weird that way.

It actually began as Rapid Fire 2, but then Brandon Lee died, then became Lethal Weapon 4 (as it would have been) and then Die Hard with a Vengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Kirby wrote: »

I can actually imagine all of those films working with the alternative casts. I think that speaks volumes about that type of film, and I say that as a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I'm surprised the never made "History of the world part II"
    I really wanted to see JEWS.....IN....SPAAAAAAAACE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Kung Pow sequel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Thing. Not that I'm surprised I just want to fcukin know what happened to Mcready and Childs. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement