Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of renovating a 1960s semi?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a lovely old house that I'm really attached to - was hoping to move back there one day, but the heating now no longer works due to leak and the electrics need to be completely redone. The house is an extended 1960s Council House - 1600sq ft in a fantastic location. I bought it in the boom time so wouldn't sell for what I paid for it - no mortgage. What would the cost of doing complete replumbing and rewiring - solid walls - and one new bathroom and new kitchen - kitchen is 25ft by 18ft. I don't want solar panels but just zoned gas heating. With electrics, I just want more lights - four or five more and about 10 more sockets, wired for a burglar alarm - there isn't one - and wired for smoke alarms. The guy who originally owned the house did a lot of the electrics and plumbing himself and did a botch job - so it could be interesting and costly doing the work! Anyone have a figure for this, I would be grateful - and do I need an architect or quantity surveyor etc. My family think I would be better selling but the house is in a great location as many of these old council houses were.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Re wiring ~ €5k
    Re plumb ~ €7k or €8k
    New bathroom ~ €4k

There could be good savings to doing all at once while floor boards are lifted. You'd want to allow so cash for decoration after all is done. So guestimate €20k overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UBx James

Thanks Dublin Dilbert that's not too bad! I forgot to mention that I would like to get it insulated - not sure whether to insulate internally or externally. Do I get a builder - is that a better option - or just m own contractors and is the replastering cost extra. Also, there is lovely timber flooring in the property - will that get ruined - can they put it back afterwards - I believe rewiring is a very messy job. Thanks. H.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

It really depends on the standard of finish and quality of materials you want to use. It will definitely not be under 20k. You will also need to consider structural issues that may arise during renovation I would suggest a budget of 30k. I don't see any need to engage an Architect or Q S. I would maybe consider hiring an Engineer just to give the place the once over to see what other things you might need to do before you renovate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Flooring will be fine, it's easily lifted and relaid.

External insulation will give a better thermal performance than dry-lining, but will cost much more. You don't lose floor area with external insulation either. It looks a little odd when only half a semi-d is insulated externally. If the neighbour agreed it would be better visually and thermally to have both houses completed together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on the kind of kitchen that you want,the kind of insulation,Do you need new windows?
    Does the house need to be completely re-wired and re plumbed? new rads?
    Ours is a 1970's house of bout the same size and all the jobs hat need to be done are a nightmare.
    I reckon 40k is a good estimate,you can claim some of the vat back too.(HRI scheme)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty much just completed a 2 month renovation (moving in next week)

- Windows (10) Double aluminium doors, single PVC door - €4K munster joinery
    - We needed a brand new heating system, rads, pipes, boiler etc, most quotes came in about €10 -11K, however we got ours for €5.5K as the plumber is a friend
    - We didnt need a rewire but were quoted €5K

- We needed a new floor poured in garage conversion and utility - €2K
    - Insulation on external walls and attic - not sure on exact cost but around €4K
    - Full paining €2.5K
    - Plastering i'm not sure on but was €120 per day
    - We did some internal structural work which is included in the builders price (hes a very trust worth relative and tbh hes done it for peanuts which now i feel guilty for as he was working lots of evenings and weekends)

- New kitchen - €6K
    - 2 bathroom suits inc 2 showers and 1 bath - about 4-5K

We also needed tiles, tiler, block layer here and there.

All in we'll spend 60K, we didnt engage and arch or QS for a number of reasons

1) we have seen the quality of the work the builder has done both new build and renovation
    2) all our work was internal with our largest piece being a garage conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

family member renovated a 70s the bed semi recently. new kitchen, knock through solid wall downstairs, install ensuite, internal drylining, new heating system etc. totaled in the region of 50k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

We've a 3 bed semi and have virtually re-fitted everything in the house. I think only a built-in wardrobe in the 'box' room and a sliding door to the backyard is all that remains.

I reckon we've spent in the region of €55k over the past few years. We didn't need to re-plumb the heating or re-wire (even though a rewire would be probably required if we sell).
    - new kitchen (including removing the backdoor and blocking it up)
    - new bathroom
    - new windows and front door (including re-positioning of new front door to where old sliding porch door was)
    - new internal doors, flooring, carpets, tiling etc
    - re-plastered all walls and ceilings downstairs
    - knocked the old garage, laid concrete and built new surrounding walls out the back
    - tarmac the front yard and put new front and side gates
    - all appliances (washing machine, dryer, dishwasher etc) and furnishings (beds, wardrobes etc)
    - multiple skip hire etc (charges like these that you wouldn't really think about, soon add up).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

My advice to the o/p is to try and do all of the work at the same time and not to leave it run on for years. Basics like heating and wiring are relatively fixed price of about 5k each. After that there are kitchen and bathroom fitting which can vary enormously depending on spec. there is also the making good and re-decorating. Insulation is another variable. I favour doing an internal job and linking in with the making good after the plumbing and wiring. Replacing the windows, floors and doors would make sense if they need to be done. Invariably it is better to do the "big job" than try to skimp. It will only have to be done and done again over the longer term. Think about 50k to 60k and only reduce that budget if it is obviously not necessary. Do not leave something undone to get the last 5 years out of it. It will cost twice as much in 5 years time and will undo some of the major work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Do all rewiring ,plumbing first ,new heating system ,radiators, alarm system etc
    as this will require the removal of plaster from walls, or ceilings in some places .
    And the lifting of some floorboards .
    ie leave the kitchen to electrics and plumbing is done .
    a New boiler will be likely more effecient than one thats 15 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 UBx James

Thanks everyone for your replies - they were very helpful. 50=60k doesn't sound so bad really - some people I know have spent 150k refurbishment of just ordinary houses and that, I find, a bit scary. I will definitely do the plumbing and electrics together - just a question - the flooring is about four years old - semi solid and I really like it, and the kitchen is solid wood - put in about two years before I bought it - also the kitchen has parquet flooring - is it possible to preserve all these in the renovations, i.e. if the electrician/plumber has to dig up the floors and get behind the kitchen cupboards, is it possible to put the original floors and kitchen back - it might seem strange, but I really like them, and am not just cost-saving?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes,it should be but you will most probably also need to hire a carpenter .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

UBx James wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies - they were very helpful. 50=60k doesn't sound so bad really - some people I know have spent 150k refurbishment of just ordinary houses and that, I find, a bit scary. I will definitely do the plumbing and electrics together - just a question - the flooring is about four years old - semi solid and I really like it, and the kitchen is solid wood - put in about two years before I bought it - also the kitchen has parquet flooring - is it possible to preserve all these in the renovations, i.e. if the electrician/plumber has to dig up the floors and get behind the kitchen cupboards, is it possible to put the original floors and kitchen back - it might seem strange, but I really like them, and am not just cost-saving?

You should be prepared to sacrifice floors and kitchen units. If you can save them, well and good but sometimes the effort to save them costs more than replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nordeda

Hi we are in the same situation. Just starting out with a 1950's semi d great location. I've been in contact with a few architects and they do not seem interested in our project. We want to completely renovate and extend. Thinking 150k would do a decent job but judging from lack of interest maybe not so. How did you get on with your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Nordeda wrote: »
    Hi we are in the same situation. Just starting out with a 1950's semi d great location. I've been in contact with a few architects and they do not seem interested in our project. We want to completely renovate and extend. Thinking 150k would do a decent job but judging from lack of interest maybe not so. How did you get on with your house?

surprised to hear that, we hope to be in the same position with our house in a few years, I would have thought that kind of gig would be their bread and butter. To judge based on our estate, quite a number have had architects involved. Maybe trawl the planning permission applications in the locality - especially jobs you like the look of, the drawings will likely have the architects name on them.

Advertisement