Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

First bike

• 27-11-2015 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever bought a bike without test driving it? It's crossing my mind at the minute but I'm a bit unsure..

Craic is I'm working in Antrim but will be biking in ROI, from Donegal and bike will be kept there, irish licence etc. The bike I'm after is an ER6f, fairly fixed on that, and there is a few for sale in NI that I'm interested in, problem being I can't really test ride up there on a learner permit. The bikes are only 20 minutes from where I am up there and would just need driven to the house in Donegal in a van, save me riding around NI if I bought in Dublin for example.

My thinking is I learnt(IBT) on an ER6n so I know I like how the bike rides performance wise, and there's nothing stopping me hopping up on it to ensure I like riding position on the faired version.

Two of the bikes I'm considering(there are cheaper private ones on gumtree):
    http://www.phillipmccallen.com/bikes/used-bikes/kawasaki-er-6-f-2013.html

http://www.phillipmccallen.com/bikes/used-bikes/kawasaki-er-6-f-2013.html

Both have >6k km so would be VRT only. Anyone any experience/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Yep, I had the same dilemma when starting out. I didn't know how to ride a bike and didn't know anyone to come with me to test ride.

My advice is to read read read as much as you can online about checking a bike's condition. I was confident enough that I wasn't buying a lemon.

Ideal would be to get someone experienced to come along with you. Or even a car mechanic. They will spot the basics no probs.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Ps just seen that you are looking at dealer bikes. You have a come back if it turns out to be a heap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

wife has an er6-n
    great little bike; i have a cheeky ride every so often
    get someone experienced to check it out for you, at that age they should be tight and easy to ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I was in the same boat last year, you're extremely unlikely to get a test ride from a dealer or private, tend toward dealers since you have some comeback on it then. Bring someone who knows what they're looking at if at all possible.

I've an er-6f myself, great first bike, good luck with the search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I was in the same boat last year, you're extremely unlikely to get a test ride from a dealer or private, tend toward dealers since you have some comeback on it then. Bring someone who knows what they're looking at if at all possible.

I've an er-6f myself, great first bike, good luck with the search.

Unlikely to get a test ride from a dealer at all because of being a learner? Can see a little bit of sense in that I guess..

I have a housemate who recently got his bike test up north so he might get a test ride if we can persuade them, would add a little bit of confidence. He'd be a bit more mechanically minded than myself, not sure how much about bikes just.

Cheers for the advice everyone, can't wait to get out on one now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Phillip McCallen's will give you a test ride & is a dealer & rider of some repute...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_McCallen

1280px-PhilippMcCallenBallaughBridge.jpg

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Phillip McCallen's will give you a test ride & is a dealer & rider of some repute...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_McCallen

1280px-PhilippMcCallenBallaughBridge.jpg

Had seen that aye, some man.

How could I test drive though when I have the ROI learner permit so basically have nothing in NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    How could I test drive though when I have the ROI learner permit so basically have nothing in NI?
    You won't unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I purchased my bike privately from the UK without seeing it in person or actually driving a similar model.

Its certainly not something that i would advise to everyone as it would not suit all circumstances.

There was enough reviews on the DL650 to know it had everything i was looking for and i bought it through an owners club so it i had confidence it was well looked after.

What i am trying to say i suppose it can be fine but you have to take a calculated risk.
    the bike rolled out of the van in showroom condition couldnt have been happier.

I'll definitely head down have a look at what is there, few bikes to consider in mccallens and another dealer nearby.

Won't be buying totally blind and as said I'll have a come back if there are any issues.

Not sure I'd have been heading out in that storm today though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Just a tuppence worth from someone riding bikes for over 2 decades. I don't know your financial means, but with a first bike, you will probably drop it. That bike is in my mind... is mad money for a first bike. Did you consider the resale value with a few scratches on it in a couple years? You will get a decent bike for a quarter that, though you have made your mind up. As per previous replies you have a warranty, though not for wear items.. C&S, pads, tyres, battery, could add up to nearly 500 euro. So check these items!

ligertigon wrote: »
    Just a tuppence worth from someone riding bikes for over 2 decades. I don't know your financial means, but with a first bike, you will probably drop it. That bike is in my mind... is mad money for a first bike. Did you consider the resale value with a few scratches on it in a couple years? You will get a decent bike for a quarter that, though you have made your mind up. As per previous replies you have a warranty, though not for wear items.. C&S, pads, tyres, battery, could add up to nearly 500 euro. So check these items!

Cheers man, I wouldn't say my mind is completely made up, there are a few SV650s and GSF650 I want to look at as well 2006/7 at about half the price and a slightly newer XJ6, not denying that the ER6 would be my preferred option though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

All savage bikes starting out. I had a diversion/xj6 and then the er-6 as the 'small' bike in the fleet (of two). Both great bikes, easy to work on and cheap enough to insure and get serviced.

If you have the cash and your heart's set on the bike, go for it. You're going to end up with the bike you want eventually anyway (expect to change it a few times, there's some lads on here and elsewhere who've been on two wheels for years and still haven't found "the one"). The likelihood of dropping it in your first year is of course higher, but sure what price spending your first year on a banger and being browned off with it just to maybe save a few quid just in case?

Ah it's not at all easy making a decision!

I'll spend the week researching (work can take a back seat;)) and go hunting next Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Why don't you go to a christmas charity toy run? (one on in Dundalk this sunday) get talking to bikers and ask if you can get a ride on whatever model. You'd be surprised how many will let you! Having said that, such a short spin is limited, but gives you the general idea of ergonomics, engine character, brakes etc

Back again folks, going looking tomorrow morning.

Another quick question regards bikes with ABS, to be honest I think I know the answer already. Better to get first bike with or without it? I'm thinking better having it and not using it than not having should a mistake be made, like pretty much every modern cage out there. Obviously if the ABS is kicking in during normal riding I'd know I'd need to work on my braking and get it right. I get that it's dearer but if it makes it safer then what odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Personally, if you can afford it get it. I don't agree with the people who avoid it unless getting an adventure bike and riding off road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Worth the extra few bob in my opinion. They are mandatory here on all bikes (on all new bikes anyway) and you never know when they can save you from an off or things going sideways. I rarely feel mine kicking in but has already saved me a couple of times from having minor incidents.

Was down today, got to sit on a few different models, SV650s, ER6F, XJ6S Diversion, and a GSXR600 and ZX6R for the craic!

Wasn't overly fussed on the SV, thought the riding position leans forward too much for me, that goes for the two supersports too of course!

Giving this yoke serious consideration now, http://www.phillipmccallen.com/bikes/used-bikes/kawasaki-er6-f-650-abs-2014.html

Also McCallen himself seems a decent lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Was down today, got to sit on a few different models, SV650s, ER6F, XJ6S Diversion, and a GSXR600 and ZX6R for the craic!

Wasn't overly fussed on the SV, thought the riding position leans forward too much for me, that goes for the two supersports too of course!

Giving this yoke serious consideration now, http://www.phillipmccallen.com/bikes/used-bikes/kawasaki-er6-f-650-abs-2014.html

Also McCallen himself seems a decent lad.

If you think the sv650 leans over too much then the f650 isnt for you either.

The sv has one of the more relaxes rider positions in that class .

Personally not gone on sports bikes riding position but the sv would be more moderate than most

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    If you think the sv650 leans over too much then the f650 isnt for you either.

The sv has one of the more relaxes rider positions in that class .

Personally not gone on sports bikes riding position but the sv would be more moderate than most

Sorry forgot to add on the S there, SV650 S, which supposedly has a sportier riding position. according to this yoke http://cycle-ergo.com/.

Advertisement