Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

join reci?

Options
  • 28-11-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I plan on building my own house next year. Do people think it would be worth my while joining Reci to wire and certify it myself? I work for decent size contractor whom I get on with fine, I think he will allow me to order the materials through him (saving the vat) haven't mentioned a cert to him ( By letter of the law I this is not allowed )
    Or do I need to register a company to join?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why don't you ask your employer to certify it for you? Even if you have to pay for this it would be cheaper. Because you work for this REC it would be 100% legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

Ok I didn't realise because I work for him it would be fine. I thought testing for someone else when you didn't do the work was illegal. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ok I didn't realise because I work for him it would be fine. I thought testing for someone else when you didn't do the work was illegal. Thanks

It's also illegal if he doesn't charge you the vat. I wouldn't be telling too many people about this. You could get him & yourself in trouble.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's also illegal if he doesn't charge you the vat. I wouldn't be telling too many people about this. You could get him & yourself in trouble.

Did I say that! Slip of tongue, of course I'll be charged and pay the vat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Why don't you ask your employer to certify it for you? Even if you have to pay for this it would be cheaper. Because you work for this REC it would be 100% legal.

No it isn't legal unless the work is being carried out on behalf of the REC. Simply being an employee of a REC does not allow you to carry out Restricted Electrical Works on your own behalf.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No it isn't legal unless the work is being carried out on behalf of the REC. Simply being an employee of a REC does not allow you to carry out Restricted Electrical Works on your own behalf.

I thought it was like that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No it isn't legal unless the work is being carried out on behalf of the REC.

The work is on behalf of the REC.
    Proof is the fact that it is paid for.
    Nothing illegal about a discount for employees.

The work is on behalf of the REC.
    Proof is the fact that it is paid for.
    Nothing illegal about a discount for employees.

How is the work on behalf of the REC if he is doing it himself, and not under the direction of his boss?

How is the work on behalf of the REC if he is doing it himself, and not under the direction of his boss?

Because the REC invoices for it and gets paid for it.
    Just like every other job the REC does.

Registered Electrical Contractors are permitted to wire any domestic installation they like once they comply with the regulations, have insurance and certify the work. They can use any of their employees to do this work once they are suitably qualified and competent.

The fact that an employee happens to own a property that is being wired is irrelevant. If anyone can find a link that contradicts this please post it here.

• Advertisement

The fact that an employee happens to own a property that is being wired is irrelevant. If anyone can find a link that contradicts this please post it here.

No-one said that they couldn't own the property - the point is that he is doing the work himself (and therefore not under the direction of the appropriate people in the REC he works for) and therefore it cannot be said that it is the REC carrying out the work, and therefore it is illegal.

Of course he could ask the REC to do the job, but that isn't the case as things stand.

No-one said that they couldn't own the property - the point is that he is doing the work himself (and therefore not under the direction of the appropriate people in the REC he works for)

That does not necessarily follow. Why can't it be agreed that it is under the direction of the REC?
    Of course he could ask the REC to do the job

;) there you go

Indeed, but there is no reason to believe that the REC would be amenable to this course of action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

;) there you go

Did you forget the rest of his point?
    but that isn't the case as things stand.

Indeed, but there is no reason to believe that the REC would be amenable to this course of action.

.....except that in post#1 the OP states that he "gets on fine" his employer.
    Generally speaking employers look after employees that perform, it makes sense for both parties. If I were in the OPs shoes I would rather ask for the favor than go to the expense of joining RECI.

If you had "gone to the expense of joining RECI" would you then wish to endanger your membership by breaching the Rules of Registration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you had "gone to the expense of joining RECI" would you then wish to endanger your membership by breaching the Rules of Registration?

It depends if they are the type of rec that tends to see simple things as complex.

Registered electrical contractors are permitted to certify any installation that they wire once they comply with the regulations.

Can you can find a link that suggests that a REC can not wire and certify a premises owned by any of their employees?

I never suggested that they couldn't wire the premises.

I did however emphasise the fact that they very clearly didn't wire it, and therefore could not certify it. (Nor would the wiring have been done lawfully.)

I never suggested that they couldn't wire the premises.

I did however emphasise the fact that they very clearly didn't wire it, and therefore could not certify it. (Nor would the wiring have been done lawfully.)

But they did wire it.
    Saying that they didn't is just semantics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

But they did wire it.
    Saying that they didn't is just semantics.

They would be wiring it every bit as much as any other job they have the employee on.

Bruthal wrote: »
    They would be wiring it every bit as much as any other job they have the employee on.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You are correct. But I'm sure the OP could speak to his reasonable boss and contract him to carryout the work for him. Something could be arranged that satisfied all the conditions and allowed the electrician to carry out the installation in his own house.
    To suggest otherwise for the sake of protecting this type of installation against commercial or legal discretions compared to certifying work for third parties would not yield much from any perspective IMO. It's his house I assume that having read this thread the the OP will follow the guidelines and approach the task along the correct lines

And on that note we don't want to enter into giving legal advice as it's against the site rules.
    And on a forum charter note, we assume the VAT will be paid by the OP as corrected earlier .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement