Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this keyboard a good choice for a gamer

• 28-11-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a good keyboard and mouse mat for my son. He plays a lot of fps games on steam.
    Was thinking about this one because its the same make as the one I got him 4 years ago and he loves it.
    https://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-350
    I'm also looking for a comfortable chair. Saw copy of the racer ones in bargintown, anyone know if there any good. He's only just entered his teens and he's nearly six foot already so it needs to be good quality with support but not too expensive either!
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

rachaell wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for a good keyboard and mouse mat for my son. He plays a lot of fps games on steam.
    Was thinking about this one because its the same make as the one I got him 4 years ago and he loves it.
    https://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-350
    I'm also looking for a comfortable chair. Saw copy of the racer ones in bargintown, anyone know if there any good. He's only just entered his teens and he's nearly six foot already so it needs to be good quality with support but not too expensive either!
    Any advice appreciated

He'll probably be happy with it but you might look into a mechanical keyboard for him, probably pick one up for a similar price in the current sales. though you will be ruining membrane keyboards for the rest of his life.

Ikea markus is a reasonably priced and well thought of budget desk chair.

I'm on my phone so can't post a link but there are some great deals on amazon at the moment. The one you linked had a us layout but most gamers wouldn't be bothered by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ScottStorm wrote:
    He'll probably be happy with it but you might look into a mechanical keyboard for him, probably pick one up for a similar price in the current sales. though you will be ruining membrane keyboards for the rest of his life.

A mechanical keyboard is noisey as f. I personally dont see the pros outweighing this con but thats personal preference. Feels beautiful to type on. So satisfying. Do they last longer than a conventional keyboard?

A mechanical keyboard is noisey as f. I personally dont see the pros outweighing this con but thats personal preference. Feels beautiful to type on. So satisfying. Do they last longer than a conventional keyboard?

Yes, they should last significantly longer, there are quieter switch types without the clickiness that sound about the same as a membrane keyboard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If he plays FPS seriously, then a mechanical keyboard is a far better choice. The Steelseries build quality is mixed at best - got stuff for my brother and it had to be returned cause it was broken - twice.

I've a CMStorm Quickfire with Brown switches which are quieter than the others, got it for about €90 from Scan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement