Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Server for Mumble, Teamspeak, or Raidcall etc?

• 28-11-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Most of the games I play online have this built in, but not this particular game.

What is the best type of server for a group of friends to talk online with while gaming?

Are any of these programs better than the rest at the moment?

Any recommendations on service providers, or can this be done well for free?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I started using discord recently, very good, of the others you mentioned all are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Dcully wrote: »
    I started using discord recently, very good, of the others you mentioned all are good.

Did you pay for a server or virtual private server, or do you use it somewhere for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dcully wrote: »

Our Guild is using Discord. I find it very nice, plus the text side of things is much better than TS or Mumble.

Free too, as I understand it. They claim to be aiming to make their money off purchasable cosmetic items. We'll see how that pans out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes its free, as mentioned the text side is great, if you post a link it transforms into a type of web browser with images from your links etc,i really like the ui also.
    I just took a quick screenie of it on my desktop for you.

Untitled.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Discord is free in price, which is not saying much when it comes to VOIP tbh - they're all free. It's closed source, so it's not free in that regard and requires an account. I don't care for images popping up in a text chat, not why I use VOIP.

I use mumble whenever I can - No account, no commercial BS, always the first to use the latest technologies, open source. I use a server that's never really that full. It has a few dedicated gaming rooms for popular games and then 3 whatever-you-want rooms that anyone can utiliise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Mumble or Ts3 here, use both quite often and have no issues with either, one of the guys I play with hosts a mumble server on his PC when we play and their is no issue at all. Never tried discord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mumble server is 1 quid a month on the official link thing.

Used to prefer Mumble for the in game over lay but have G510S now so can see who is talking on TS.

tbh both are decent ans similiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for the replies, and the screenshot :)

Discord does look like it has a nice user interface but I have learned Mumble has less latency and better sound quality than the rest, and I like to use open source software where I can. I set up a 10 slot server on an officially endorsed provider cheapmumble.com for just $1.30 per month - all the providers seem to quote their prices in dollars, even if based outside of the US like this one, I am guessing this is to make it easier for the consumer to compare.

Very happy with the server so far and the sound quality.

The only thing that might be an issue is that I have set the server password protected, but I would like to be able to temporarily invite people I play arena with onto the server, into a specific channel, and I would rather not have to keep changing the server password.

I probably could use needing to temporarily invite people to voicechat for PUGs or arena as an opportunity to experiment with Discord, which I have read even works in a browser, although it would be nice to keep everything in Mumble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

All in all, they all do the same thing and its mostly just down to price or preference.

Used Ventirlo for years, moved to mumble for years, now using TS. It's pretty much just whoever is setting it up.

If I was buying something tomorrow I'd go mumble, but we've been using TS the last while now and it's totally fine.

It normally moves in trends based on no real benefits or differences, bar some myths one is better then the other.

Few years ago everything was Ventrilo, then the fad moved to mumble, now its teamspeak.

You can choose whichever you want, based on what you want to pay .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Laviski

you can try the gaellords.com teaskspeak 3 server. there when you join the server you can create your own channel with password and invite your friends on it. when you want to join the public rooms you will need to get normal permission or above to join that is the main restriction we have on it. we have 512 slot so unless we change host this will remain.

we did have it completely open ts but due to a number of asshat's had to restrict it down with various permission levels.

main rules: no offensive/inappropriate nicknames or channel names - insta ban. as we had rough few months because of being lenient, hence our lockdown on permissions which solved our other problems of channel spam etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement