Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to apply to this table to restore it

Options
  • 28-11-2015 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

any recommendations on what to apply to this dining table and bench to get it back looking well again. Was looking today at some Rustins products in B&Q but not sure they would do the job.
    The centre section folds/retracts and is usually down so that is what the original table most looked like or the colour of the chairs.
    The bench too is worn and has a dinner plate size stain on it from some slimy ooze my little fella spilled on it.

Nothing too complicated as I'm not exactly great with the DIY but would like it looking better - thinking of getting glass sheet cut to cover it after restore.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its made from Southern Yellow Pine so not too precious.
    Looks like somebody wiped it with a bleach solution of some sort. The best thing is to sand it back to bare timber and respray it - lacquer spray cans are available.
    If that's too much work you can try 'Furniture Restorer ' sold by Rustins or Colron. it may need two or three coats but the stuff often works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

recipio wrote: »

take another look recipio thats oak try a little nail polish remover on the white mark put it on pad and wipe gently might remove white damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

dathi wrote: »
    take another look recipio thats oak try a little nail polish remover on the white mark put it on pad and wipe gently might remove white damage

I'll give that a go on the white stain. It wax the best idea to recover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Looks like somebody wiped it with a bleach solution of some sort. The best thing is to sand it back to bare timber and respray it - lacquer spray cans are available.
    If that's too much work you can try 'Furniture Restorer ' sold by Rustins or Colron. it may need two or three coats but the stuff often works wonders.

Thats NOT yellow pine, Its Oak!!!

Be careful what you put on it and dont put nail varnish remover near it.
    It needs to be sanded down for sure....Then some tung oil would be best....

I could sort this for you easily, by the way. I build furniture etc...

• Advertisement

dathi wrote: »

Well, I was judging it on the centre panel which looks like Southern Yellow Pine to me but I'll allow the rest of it could be oak..:rolleyes: I see a lot of furniture from China which is made from a pale variety of oak.
    Its a question of sussing out what caused the bleaching and tackle that.

I could sort this for you easily, by the way. I build furniture etc...

I'm in Limerick. The whole table was the same colour as centre section about 8years ago

I'm in Limerick. The whole table was the same colour as centre section about 8years ago

Sorry, I'm in Kildare!!

Eventually I wiped it down with spirits and waxed it with briwax. It was too dark, greasy, impractical for a child etc. I removed the wax with spirits and 000 grade steel wool. So back to where I started. Should I just clear varnish it?

Eventually I wiped it down with spirits and waxed it with briwax. It was too dark, greasy, impractical for a child etc. I removed the wax with spirits and 000 grade steel wool. So back to where I started. Should I just clear varnish it?

You can remove wax with lacquer thinners. Its sold in kitchen supply shops as 'gunclean' ( as in spray gun ) or Rustins etc do it at rip off prices.:cool:
    If its just an everyday table I'd sand it down and give it three coats of varnish.
    Spending money on a good varnish brush is well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Spending money on a good varnish brush is well worth it.
    noob question - there's such a thing as a brush specifically for varnish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sand up to 220 grit, rub with a damp cloth to raise the grain, let it dry and sand again, then carefully brush on something like light oak stain onto the white sapwood that's showing on a few of the boards to tone them down a little, then give it two coats of oil based varnish let it dry for a few days and sand very lightly with 320 grit or finer , remove the dust and give it a final coat , should last for years.

noob question - there's such a thing as a brush specifically for varnish?

Yes. Ask in dedicated paint shops and expect to spend about 12 euro for a 2" brush

Advertisement