Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbalist/alternative medicine in Cork

Options
  • 28-11-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for recommendations for either a good herbalist or Doctor who also deals with alternative medicine in Cork. Lots of issues from insomnia to immunodeficiency to thyroid problems. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

whatever u do don't mention tintures!! I haven't gone to this lady myself but a friend recommended her ill see if I can get her number she is based in Douglas..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

angeline wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for recommendations for either a good herbalist or Doctor who also deals with alternative medicine in Cork. Lots of issues from insomnia to immunodeficiency to thyroid problems. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

This is a list from Google: irh.ie/cork-herbalists/ I have attended Brigid Maher a long time ago but no longer have her contact details. Was nice.

You maybe won't like this, but if you suspect you have these problems, you should also definitely attend a GP who can perform blood tests to confirm their presence, or rule them out to help you to identify any alternative (be it anxiety and mood disturbance or organic disease). Like it or not, herbalists can't tell us our thyroid hormone levels!

That's my bit, as there's no medical advice allowed, other than to tell you go to a GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

CameraBag wrote: »
    This is a list from Google: irh.ie/cork-herbalists/ I have attended Brigid Maher a long time ago but no longer have her contact details. Was nice.

You maybe won't like this, but if you suspect you have these problems, you should also definitely attend a GP who can perform blood tests to confirm their presence, or rule them out to help you to identify any alternative (be it anxiety and mood disturbance or organic disease). Like it or not, herbalists can't tell us our thyroid hormone levels!

That's my bit, as there's no medical advice allowed, other than to tell you go to a GP!

Thanks but I have clearly been to a GP as I didn't diagnose myself!! I get bloods taken very regularly and am under treatment by my GP who is excellent so am clearly not looking for medical advice. Looking for recommendations for a good herbalist. Google doesn't always tell you which herbalist is better than the other so looking for other people's experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Look, herbs can interact negatively with other medicines,and often contain substances they are not supposed to contain, because they are completely unregulated. (When I say often, I think 60% of the time was the last study I read. )

If you are being looked after by a GP and are unhappy with treatment or the answers you are getting, try another GP. Mixing herbs with medicine can leave you in a bad state.

Thank you all for your comments. I am very happy with my GP. I have received the name of a recommended herbalist in Bandon through a doctor. Thread can be closed if mods wish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think dara o'briain put it best;
    "I'm sorry, 'herbal medicine?"
    "Oh, herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years!"
    " Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri, so knock yourselves out."

I think pwurple has given you some very good advice. I'm all for people trying anything that works but make sure it's safe and run it by a medical practitioner. I know when your in discomfort, as you clearly are, you get impatient. But things do take time.
    Get well soon.

I'm not impatient at all! This thread has gone way off topic and the question I asked has been answered outside of this forum. I am only interested in the medical advice of my GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tots agree angeline sorry people but she didn't ask for recommendations for anything but a herbalist, tis always the same

Best of luck with the lady in Bandon, if you do want me to get that other number I am sure I have it in the diary at home..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Tots agree angeline sorry people but she didn't ask for recommendations for anything but a herbalist, tis always the same

Best of luck with the lady in Bandon, if you do want me to get that other number I am sure I have it in the diary at home..

Thanks Milly. As you say I was only looking for a recommendation, not opinions about them and speculation as to whether my GP knew or if I was going to one as that is all very private and my own business. But I did get a recommendation of a man in Bandon, there are two but one was recommended. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

angeline, if you're so happy with your GP, then why not ask him/her for a recommendation of a herbalist?
    Asking on a forum, entitles people to reply.
    The thread didn't go off topic, it stayed on Herbalist/alternative medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm not trying to be smug or have a go at you OP, but I hate people being scammed and I think the people doing the scamming are fuccking scum.

Go to another GP. If "alternative medicine" worked, it would just be called "medicine". You don't need to be giving any money to these chancers.

I'm not trying to be smug or have a go at you OP, but I hate people being scammed and I think the people doing the scamming are fuccking scum.

Go to another GP. If "alternative medicine" worked, it would just be called "medicine". You don't need to be giving any money to these chancers.

Appreciate your honest reply. And to be honest I would be the last person in the world I would have imagined going to a herbalist. I myself am very sceptical but was advised that they may be able to help with insomnia. Again, sceptical, but willing to give it a try. Wouldn't dream of going to another GP as she is wonderful and will be running it by her too. In fact have an appointment with my gp this week and will be saying it to her. I have little interest in being scammed either but the person who advised is v reputable in the medical field. Again, I would be sceptical myself but am open minded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

angeline wrote: »
    Appreciate your honest reply. And to be honest I would be the last person in the world I would have imagined going to a herbalist. I myself am very sceptical but was advised that they may be able to help with insomnia. Again, sceptical, but willing to give it a try. Wouldn't dream of going to another GP as she is wonderful and will be running it by her too. In fact have an appointment with my gp this week and will be saying it to her. I have little interest in being scammed either but the person who advised is v reputable in the medical field. Again, I would be sceptical myself but am open minded too.

Whatever works for you personally is the most important thing at the end of it. I hope you get sorted either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dogwalker

I wouldn't be going to Dara O'Briain for medical advice. Herbalists have a degree and a knowledge of chemical interactions and the ones I've encountered have been connected to UK hospitals during training. More scientific background than yerman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Dogwalker wrote: »
    I wouldn't be going to Dara O'Briain for medical advice. Herbalists have a degree and a knowledge of chemical interactions and the ones I've encountered have been connected to UK hospitals during training. More scientific background than yerman.

"Yer man" has a physics and maths degree. Both very relevant to the medical field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dogwalker

"Yer man" has a physics and maths degree. Both very relevant to the medical field.

You wouldn't go to an engineer or a maths professor for medical advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Where do I get a herbalist degree? I want to add it to my nutritionist and my homeopathy 'qualifications'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

You can get one in CIT

http://www.cit.ie/course/CR330

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭henryd65

pwurple wrote: »
    Where do I get a herbalist degree? I want to add it to my nutritionist and my homeopathy 'qualifications'.

You can go to the University of Westminster:

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/subjects/complementary-medicine/undergraduate-courses/full-time/u09fuhbm-bsc-honours-herbal-medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Start a new thread on colleges etc if Ye want lads in the correct forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement