Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I allowed leave when my shift ends or get paid for extra ??

Options
  • 28-11-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ok so I've been wondering this for a while I work in a call centre, can they make me come in early to turn on computers and stay late on calls past my designated hours ?
    So for example, a typical shift for me would be

8am-4:30pm
    On this shift I would need to be in work by twenty to 8 to be logged in for 8.

We aren't allowed to log off of our phones until exactly 4:30 often we receive calls around the 4:27/28/29 mark, now this call may only take 3 minutes, average call length is about 6-7mins however some calls can take half an hour,

Now I know many collegues will hang up but I've always been the kind of worker who would be afraid of the consequences.

But can my workplace make me stay on calls after my time without pay ? I know it's not a huge amount of time but it adds up between being in early an staying late like a little over 20€ extra a week I could have if I was paid and this happened every day. There's also the problem I encountered recently where I had a job interview scheduled for 5 and I was kept on a call and was late to the interview...

I'm contracted for 40 hours a week and typically do 8-4:30 Monday -Friday and I'm paid on an hourly rate..

I'd just appreciate any information anybody has on this? Am I entitled to leave work at the end of my shift ??

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Keep a record of the time, use it to your advantage in your annual review. But bear in mind keep an eye on it, if at the end of a month you are 10hrs over..you should be raising this to the manager.
    As for start times, so long as you're at your desk for 8am and don't leave till 4:30pm that is what your only paid for...I wouldn't be going in at 7:40am unless you are paid or contracted to be in work 20 mins before start time.

Advertisement